Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Here we go again! Overstock paid in the money on the 16th and LS still hasn't sent the checks. Are they ever going to get their act together?

NetMagazines.com paid on 1/15 and Linkshare hasn't sent their affiliate checks yet either.

Here are some of the recent Linkshare checks I have received, when they show that the merchant paid them, when they cut my check, and when they show that they mailed it:

Walmart.com November - Paid 1/6 - Cut 1/13 - Mailed 1/20
    1-800-FLOWERS.COM November - Paid 1/9 - Cut 1/12 - Mailed 1/20
    Walmart.com October - Paid 1/6 - Cut 1/12 - Mailed 1/20
    Avenue.com November - Paid 12/30 - Cut 1/11 - Mailed 1/14
    OmahaSteaks.com November - Paid 12/30 - Cut 1/9 - Mailed 1/14
    Columbia House October - Paid 1/2 - Cut 1/8 - Mailed 1/14
    Drugstore.com November - Paid 1/2 - Cut 1/8 - Mailed 1/14
    Hotwire.com November - Paid 1/2 - Cut 1/8 - Mailed 1/14

They definitely need to streamline their check-cutting and mailing process. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to turn checks around in less than 24 hours. More than a few days is ridiculous, even at this busy time of the year. TWO WEEKS is either TOTAL INCOMPETENCE or WORSE.

Stephen, please explain why you're sitting on our money for TWO WEEKS before you mail our checks?

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All -

Once we receive payment from a merchant, it typically takes our team 7-10 business days to process and mail individual affiliate payments. Although we are often able to distribute affiliate payments within shorter periods, this timing may fluctuate depending on volume. Thankfully, due to a tremendous holiday season, our team is busy processing a lot of payments. We thank you for your patience.

Sarah

Sure would be faster with automatic deposit, easier on your staff and save you money in check printing and postage!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Beg to differ with you Linkshare. Your check cutting staff sat on the collective lazy butts all during December as your major brand merchants refused to send in timely payments. Look at that payment history report for all LS merchants and you'll see the mindset of the typical LS merchant. Damn shame you always screw up Overstock, who always pays early, since they make your other lame merchnat slow payment schemes look bad. Your merchant TOS where merchants advertise timely monthly payments is teh joke of the industry. Culprets are the advertising mindset 3rd party AM firms running those programs for the real merchants who allow their bills to be put on the bottom of the pile.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Let's see what would happen if LS started offering direct deposit and consolidated payments:

Less paperwork
    Timely Payments
    More affiliates trying out LS merchants
    LS and LS merchants making more money

Seems like a good idea and should be something New York's #1 Fastest Growing Technology Company could handle.

CJ can do it, Shareasale can do it, Performics can do it. Linkshare, c'mon, get it going.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LinkShare Moderator:
    Once we receive payment from a merchant, it typically takes our team 7-10 business days to process and mail individual affiliate payments.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You really need to streamline this process. There's no reason you couldn't process and mail checks within 24 hours.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I personally think funds should be kept in escrow and merchants should pay ahead not in the rears ( so to speak ). Thus, when a payment is due to affiliates, it can be drawn from the escrow account.

There is a plus side for both LS and affiliates.

LS can earn money on the escrow and eliminate a ton of paperwork. They could also easily implement direct deposit since funds would be available when payment is due to everyone. Less paperwork, less stamps, less running around after merchants who don't pay, or don't pay on time.

When a merchant doesn't keep their escrow account up to date, they should be deactivated and no affiliate would be left holding the bag when a merchant decides not to pay.

I have quite a few merchants that owe me money I will never see from a few of the networks. :0(

[This message was edited by Anne on January 23, 2004 at 09:53 PM.]

[This message was edited by Anne on January 23, 2004 at 09:54 PM.]

That's supposedly how CJ works, but look who got left holding the bag when KBtoys.com declared bankruptcy...

Larger corporations usually aren't receptive to paying for ANYTHING in advance.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Sure that's how CJ works.. Then explain why the payment I receive every month never matches the previous month report.. There's always about 10% carried over every month..

I think LS is a bit better run than CJ, so hopefully, if they implemented something like this, it would be a better situation.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Is there some problem with getting MACHINES & COMPUTERS to auto mail checks? This is 2004, isn't it? It's completely ridiculous. What, do you have Lucy & Ethel running your check processing?

It would be nice to get paid on time. It would also be nice to have real-time reporting and not have to wait for days to see our sales stats! The ideal solution would be for LS to update their system. It would make life easier for everyone and save them a lot of manhours that could be put to better use (like code checking, for instance!!!)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't linkshare a privately held company? They don't have shareholders to answer to so how do you think they will every make payments in a timely manner? I sure don't they're making to much interest the longer they hold the more money they make. Correct me if I'm wrong.. This is just my two cents

I agree Linkshare.. direct deposit the whole way, your company is one of the fastest growing companies in Newyork, if shareasale and cj can do it there's no reason why you couldn't do it! tired of waiting months for merchants to pay linkshare and get a check.

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

Stephen, Sarah, or anyone else at Linkshare who cares to listen,

Do you realize how pathetically slow "10 business days" is?

I started receiving December checks from independents on the FIFTH of this month.

I received my first December checks from BeFree merchants on the 21st. I've received several others since then.

I received my December CJ consolidated check on the 24st.

I haven't received a SINGLE Linkshare-processed check for December yet, and only one shows as being mailed so far.

If you want to be competitive, you're going to need to do BETTER than your competitors. As it is, you're doing worse than all of them in this area.

Payments are very important to affiliates. If you continue to pay slow, make excuses about it, and consider it to be acceptable, you're sending a message to your affiliates and potential affiliates. Affiliates will choose merchants who make fast payments. If affiliates avoid merchants because they use Linkshare, your merchants will start moving to networks that are more in tune with the needs of today's affiliates.

Four years ago, "10 business days" would have been impressively fast payment. Those days are gone.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mind the 5-10 days it takes them to mail the checks.

I do mind the fact that I am now receiving checks from October from some merchants though.

Anyways, doens't Linkshare deserves a lot of credit for just putting up the payment history report?

jimbo2002 <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't mind the 5-10 days it takes them to mail the checks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're kidding, right? That's *your* money they're hanging onto. Also, are you self-employed or is this extra play money that you're getting?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyways, doens't Linkshare deserves a lot of credit for just putting up the payment history report?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of credit? No. Also, I keep wondering, yet no one ever says - why can't each merchant be required to pay on the exact same day every single month? Their company payroll is done that way - every two weeks or every Friday or whatever.

I really hate analogies between affiliate marketing and regular employment, but you make a good point.

What would Linkshare employees think if their paychecks:

1) Weren't available as direct deposit.
    2) Took an EXTRA "7 to 10 business days" (that's up to TWO WEEKS) before they were processed and mailed.
    3) Sometimes receive other people's checks and sometimes others get yours.

I don't think they'd be very happy.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted January 26, 2004 12:01 PM
    jimbo2002 quote:
    -----------------------------------------------I don't mind the 5-10 days it takes them to mail the checks.
    ---------------------------------
    You're kidding, right? That's *your* money they're hanging onto.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I was not kidding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Also, are you self-employed or is this extra play money that you're getting?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a job and I am self employed. I don't consider it play money, but I am also not living month-to-month either. Why should I worry about a week?

Jimbo I don't think any of us are living hand-to-mouth but it's the principle of the matter. If CJ, and other networks can pay their affiliates on time should the (and I quote from their homepage..... Linkshare Named #1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in Deloitte & Touche "Fast 50" Program for second year in a row) be more in touch with this type of thing?. If you are prepared to wait indefinitely for your money I sure as hell am not, and probably thousands of other affiliates need this money to cover their advertising costs.

Also, as far as giving them credit (your words) for putting up the payment history report, don't you think that instead of saying "awaiting payment from merchant" when that merchant has already paid in the money almost two weeks ago, they are providing us with inaccurate information? Well enough said!!

ABW Ambassador
    I couldn't agree with you more on this issue and the comparison is very accurate in this market. Honestly, to push it up another notch I really don't think you would keep very many employees for the long term if they were treated in the mannors you mentioned below....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    I really hate analogies between affiliate marketing and regular employment, but you make a good point.

What would Linkshare employees think if their paychecks:

1) Weren't available as direct deposit.
    2) Took an EXTRA "7 to 10 business days" (that's up to TWO WEEKS) before they were processed and mailed.
    3) Sometimes receive other people's checks and sometimes others get yours.

I don't think they'd be very happy.

Michael Coley
    http://www.amazing-bargains.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    I got my Overstock check yesterday. That is only 28 days after the month ended, which I considr pretty good.

I think the comparisons to regular jobs and paychecks is irrelevant. My employer pays me at the end of the month, not every time I do something. It does not bother me in the least that I get paid on the 31st for work I did four weeks ago.

And how is CJ any better? Don't they hold all your money until a certain day of the month and then pay it all at once? And a lot of my transactions are extended at CJ (none of my OS transaction are). Would you prefer LS hold your funds and pay it all at the end of the month, or two weeks into the following month?

ABW Ambassador
    I used to be a municipal planning consultant. It was not uncommon for me to have to wait 60 to 90 days to be paid by a local or state goverment entity. Private types didn't pay any faster and I often had to spend hours each week convincing people it was time to pay...or that they had to pay, or it was off to court. This was with signed detailed contracts etc etc. And public statements praising my work.

Compared to my previous life this is a piece of cake.

ABW Ambassador
    Jimbo2002 - 28 days is not bad, I agree. However, just because it is better than most ever other merchant in terms of payment time does not mean there is not room for improvement.

To excuse average or ordinary performance when extraordinary performance could have been achieved is to to lull yourself in the pits of mediocracy. Let's remember that the fact that Overstock is paying earlier than others is a huge postive goodwill towards its affiliates and program...to undervalue or ignore this is not only a slap in the face of a good business model but to all of us affiliate marketers and merchants.

Yes, most of the affiliates here would prefer a similar payment system as CJ has to the current system Linkshare has. In any given month we would have a much stronger cash flow with CJ verses Linkshare and since the averages for commission collection is well over 30-45 days for linkshare there is simply no way to argue that the payment terms in which CJ pays in, which is 20-25 days tops from each month end, could be worse than Linkshares....

I do agree with your statement about the negative factor for which CJ allows merchants to "extend" transactions but honestly we don't partner with anyone who does this, period.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I got my Overstock check yesterday. That is only 28 days after the month ended, which I considr pretty good.

I think the comparisons to regular jobs and paychecks is irrelevant. My employer pays me at the end of the month, not every time I do something. It does not bother me in the least that I get paid on the 31st for work I did four weeks ago.

And how is CJ any better? Don't they hold all your money until a certain day of the month and then pay it all at once? And a lot of my transactions are extended at CJ (none of my OS transaction are). Would you prefer LS hold your funds and pay it all at the end of the month, or two weeks into the following month?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast