LinkShare Adopts Online Browser's Bill of Rights.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2004,+08:02+AM

What's your opinion on this?

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

It's nice to see a company realize they are losing money right along with us...and taking action against it.

Only time will tell if anything comes of it.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    LinkShare Adopts Online Browser's Bill of Rights.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2004,+08:02+AM

What's your opinion on this?

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the Budweiser Commercial in the superbowl... Fart then Poof....

Allen

for those of us who are lazy...

The Online Browser's Bill of Rights includes the following core principles
    for online consumers:

1 - I have the right to affirmatively choose what software I download.
    2 - I have the right to know when software on my computer is active or
    operational.
    3 - I have the right to control my own information.
    4 - I have the right to use my computer my own way, for my own benefit.
    5 - I have the right to terminate any software and any accompanying
    services.

I agree... now lets see them stick to (honor) this...

Joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

ABW Ambassador
    Is this maybe a rightful response to norton?

Since ebates now activates without the enduser registering, will they be kicked out of linkshare programs? Or do we hear more of - the merchants get to choose...

At least they seem to be aware. CJ just likes to keep telling merchants that anything that can get them a sale is good, regardless of the ethics (paraphrasing so don't sue me).

Chet

This thread pretty much clarifies how much weight this will carry

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and taking action against it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sure of course action will be taken.......

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    I am curious who the 200 executives were. Is it a bunch of ebates-like outfits, or what?

I don't see any info on Linkshare, which is no surprise (they never tell us nuthin' except thru the grapevine, and then Mr Messer gets pissed when we aren't on board showing support for all their great efforts).

I'm a little surprised by the dismissive attitude on this issue. Considering the focus on SPAM by congress lately, it isn't unlikely that the next big issue will be 'downloaded applications/spyware/parasiteware'.
    My guess is that at some point in the near future there will be a move to make it VERY easy for the average user to be able to completely and easily delete a program on their computer. While we may understand how to do it, most people do not, and some of the scumware out there makes it practically impossible to do so without an external application designed to remove it.
    I think Linkshare should be applauded for once again stating clearly and concisely this issue.
    All it is going to take is a few articles by some large newspapers, and the 'browsers bill of rights' could begin to take off.
    The fight against scumware is going to take a long time and it will be fought in a number of ways. Getting the average consumer to join in the fight is essential, and this 'bill of rights' is a clever way to make a point.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    My attitude is talk has been cheap about these issues
    Reference back to nov 7 summit a year and a bit back
    What have you seen as a result?

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I can only give you guys hints as to why the networks are having to cover their butts. Read my last 2 day's posts and you might find the cybercrime units and irate victims of identity thieves are zeroing in on the affiliate community.

Lawmakers Push Penalties for False Web Records
    Wed February 4, 2004 02:26 PM ET

By Andy Sullivan
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. lawmakers touted a bipartisan bill on Wednesday that would increase jail time and fines for identity thieves, cybersquatters and other online fraudsters who register Web sites under false identities.

Reps. Lamar Smith and Howard Berman, who introduced the bill on Tuesday, said it would improve the accuracy of Web-site registration records that investigators use to track down those suspected of breaking the law.

"The government must play a greater role in punishing those who conceal their identities online, particularly when they do so in furtherance of a serious federal criminal offense or in violation of a federally protected intellectual-property right," said Smith, a Texas Republican.

Berman, a California Democrat, said domain-name sellers should also be held liable.

As many as 10 percent of the Internet's 30 million domain names may be registered under false identities, according to a study released last year.

Investigators checking Web-site registration records frequently find that suspects have filled out the registration records with clearly fraudulent information -- providing "555-555-5555" as a phone number or "Small Wok Way, Chopstick Town, WI" as a street address, witnesses told the House Internet and intellectual-property subcommittee......more.. http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4284484

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Reuters) - If there is a special place in hell for telemarketers, spammers, and malcontents who unleash computer viruses, there must also be a suite set aside for the purveyors of adware.

For the uninitiated, adware is free software you can download to your computer via the Internet. It often piggybacks on other seemingly useful programs, like the ones offering to calibrate your computer clock or provide weather information -- for free.

In reality, adware can carry a heavy price.

It can reset your home page and not let you change it back.

It can add an assortment of Web pages to your list of "Favorites." some of which can be for adult Web sites.

It can add an extra line on the screen of your Web browser, advertising all kinds of things, including X-rated Web sites.

And, it can monitor where you go on the Internet, which is why it's sometimes called spyware.

But almost always, it gives you advertisements. Lots of advertisements. An overwhelming number of advertisements.....more ...
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4254947

The networks cannot escape the media spotlight just like Pakistan cannot bury the Nuke bomb selling scandle. Complete One step un-installs, clear simple BHO terms of service and complete elimination of drive-by and hidden bundling installs is coming sooner then later. Microsoft will up-plug the plug-ins just as sure a spammers and telemarketers are getting their clocks cleaned. Seems the latest virus, with the trojan horse open backdoor, has revealed some spyware/adware opportunists pinging the infected systems and stuffing their loads onto hard drives...... LS legal department and the lawyer CEO see the handwriting on the wall and rush to be first to mend their ways. Funny all the merchants showcased in the Press release are 100% parasite infested.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread