Just wondering?? I have an DSL provider that doesn't allow static IPs. Linkshare has worked by updating my IP and getting the feed in the past. But now it has been a month+ since I could get the feed - does anyone have a solution. I sure would like to work with the person at linkshare that helped me in the past but there is a new person helping me and they just cant get me the feed.

Stardutchess,

Check out this thread about free data feeds. These are where it is at. No-static IP required for most.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=7346028083

ABW Ambassador
    I had a similar problem before I had static DSL. Here is a thought, but you need to control your DNS.

1) Ask that the filter point to a resolved domain name, such as dfa.yoursitename.com (dfa is short for datafeed access).

2) Set up your DNS server to resolve dfa.yoursitename.com to your dynamic IP address assigned by your DSL provider.

3) If you IP address changes, just change your IP address within the DNS configuration to update your reassigned address.

Some tips:

1) Do not shut off you DSL modem. In my experience, even dynamic IP addresses rarely change if you maintain the connection on your end.

2) If you IP address does change, update your DNS immediately. It will not allow you instant access, as the DNS needs to propogate to other DNS servers and that can take up to 72 hours.

Walla - you have a virtual static IP address that should allow you through their security filter.

IamJaloppy

My husband plays online games with Blizzard - and the DSL modem reboots - he will stay off for a day maybe 2 but when it comes 3 days to a week, he forgets or thinks I must have gotten the feed by now - and he heads for Battlenet. Damn those Blizzard servers they really rock and my DSL modem chokes.

Thanks for your help, I am just looking here for some ideas - I am so frustrated. Last week the modem didn't even reboot as far as I know and the IP changed 3 - 4 times.

I need the datafeeds ASAP for the following merchants and have been approved for a merchandiser account:
    Overstock, Officemax, Target, Office Depot, Walmart, Hallmark, Hickory Farms, Omaha Steaks, Mondera (I can get their feed), I would like one for Hilo Hattie but I do not think they have one. Most other merchants I can add the feed as I get it. Maybe I should contact the merchants individually if the IP issue is not resolved soon? Have any of you tried this??

The IP requirement is a reasonable one to ensure only you can retrieve the datafeeds.

The best solution is to retrieve them from your server, where your site will have a fixed IP. If you can SSH to the server, you can use a command line version of ftp to retrieve the files.

I think you'll find that several of the merchandiser feeds you refer to are so large that it would be very impractical/impossible to download them to your PC, process them and then upload anyway, regardless of whether you do that direct or via your server.

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

Wow that was quick - I came here to find help after trying to get the feed for over a month - sure enough it works today. Thanks for all your input - I copied your info so I can prevent this from happening in the future.

and I'm thanking you all in advance, folks.

I don't know squat about handling datafeeds, etc, but I'm going to be heading that way eventually and also I'll be getting some form of DSL in the next few months.

So I'm filing this away toward that day.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuy™:
    The IP requirement is a reasonable one to ensure only you can retrieve the datafeeds.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually the requirement is silly. A username and password are sufficient enough to view my linkshare stats with my name, address, social security number. But I need IP verification to get a list of products at Music123.com? Gimme a break.

This requirement has been nothing but a thorn in my side since I have a dynamic IP. If someone has a server-side script that actually works, I'd love to see it.

In the meantime, I'm happy promoting other non-LS merchants who make their feeds more accessible.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread