This is a warning to other affiliates who might not be aware of this problem. I don't know how many of you out there check the codes when you receive promotional emails from merchants. On several occasions now I have noticed that their links contain somebody else's ID and not mine. Just this morning I received an email from Marshall Fields where this has happened, and I have sent them an email asking them to investigate. This is not the first time it has happened and it is not just one merchant involved. I don't know whether this is an LS problem or that of the merchants concerned, but it is scary to think that just by NOT checking we could be generating sales for another affiliate. GREAT!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's those lame 3rd party AM firms running the major brand programs who have this constant problem. Must be some urban legions there thta a few former employees made off with thousands from some lame one page sites they made up to make like a legit affiliate was getting those checks. Reality is these merchants don't convert even for their insider AM's planting thousands of free links on others web sites.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I never get my links from email for this exact reason.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Frankly nothing would surprize me anymore. If you can't trust your merchants or the networks to do the right thing by you, what's the damn point of carrying on. We seem to get stiffed no matter what we do these days. Wish I could get a big win on the lottery so that I can kiss all their goodbye and save myself the daily aggravation of wondering whether sales have been reported correctly or when (and IF) I'm going to get paid!

This morning if found some LS links in an email that had my id in the link and another id in the 1x1 tracking image.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

And all along, I took the lazy route and simply used some of the links in the e-mail. The few that I checked seemed ok. Guess I'll have to go through all the LS links. Ugg.

Paul K. Gjenvick, Webmaster, Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Grumpy and All -

If you receive an email communication that does not contain your correct tracking ID, please forward me a copy of the communication so that I may have my team investigate immediately.

Sarah
    abw@linkshare.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sarah you should have a one page list of all the known merchant diversion tactics by now. LS has had 6 yeas to perfect monitoring merchant's not reporting sales. 3rd party AM firms recruit for the BHO's, run spam campaigns, have individuals known to have opened side affiliate accounts to funnel off commissions and hide the accounts.

The reason you never see those LS 3rd party AM firms posting here is they all have something to hide. Their silence over all these years on BHO birthing & beta testing -Out-out spamming -privacy info peddling makes them suspect as the money laundering underbelly of the affiliate industry.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Overstock sent out dynamic code via e-mail that had the correct ID in the code, but generated HTML with a DIFFERENT and INCORRECT code.

This thread talks about it..
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=4136035704

Mike Jacobs

--------------------------------------
    WebMogul - Online Marketing that Works
    www.webmogul.com
    --------------------------------------

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The reason you never see those LS 3rd party AM firms posting here is they all have something to hide. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all of us are hiding Mike

Cheers

Chris

<font size="1"> Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com - Netmagazines.com - KegWorks.com - Left On Main - Pierced Body
    DriveWerks.com - DeluxeGrills.com - Irish Photo Shop - Vegas Experts

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread