Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    I have a nice cooking site that has lots of nothing on it when viewed with default Norton.

    I know there was discussion about CJ links, but don't recall anything about Linkshare....

    Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,219
    It’s not a particular network it’s all of them and key words.

    Yes there are a few ways around those issues.



    SandraR
    <font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    41
    So what are the ways around it? What is the point of placing affilate ads and links, when Norton is blocking the ad.

    I tried it by placing ads on my website, with the image being stored on the merchant site. Norton blocks it immediately. The image doesn't even show.

    I did notice if the image is stored on my server with the affilate link, Norton does not stop it from showing.

    I have seen in my weblogs stats with rather high numberd that says "Blocked by Norton". That tells me my advertising efforts are becoming futile.

    Ok, so people are not tolerating unwanted ads and unwanted popups anymore. I can't blame them. I myself use Norton Professional Firewall Security.

    The question is, how does the affilate place any product ads/links on their site and get around Norton blocking it?

    Thanks,
    Peach



    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    It’s not a particular network it’s all of them and key words.

    Yes there are a few ways around those issues.



    http://www.ssan.comhttp://www.artgoo...oon_avatar.gif
    <font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

  4. #4
    notary sojac Herb ԿԬ's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Central/Western NY State
    Posts
    7,741
    some of the networks (Shareasale, for one) have revamped their links to show no reference to pixel sizes of the graphics. This was one way Norton blocked banner ads. Another way was particular servers, like one CJ is using. You could consider using text links with no pixel size showing, but some of the networks look at you then like you are pulling a naughty.

    hopefully Norton will see the error of its ways and come up with an upgrade to correct this and hopefully the public will catch up with it. might take a couple of years, but by then we'll be fighting a new way of grabbing our fees anyway.


    _____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

  5. #5
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    None of my affiliates ever get their creatives or coded text links blocked by Norton. Most networks and many merchants wouldn't like the simple solution as it also prevents any non-reporting of sales without closing down their shopping carts. BHO affiliate ID hijack proof and the Ad Blockers legal departments don't even want to open that can on worms.

    Mike & Charlie ...

    "Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    41
    I use Norton Internet Security Professional and I tested Norton Ad Blocking on this page:

    http://peachpatch.com/members/cards/testing.html

    I use rotating banner scripts. For them to work they are in two scripts. One must be in the

    <head>
    &lt;script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/gifts/scripts/banners.js"></script>

    And one must be in the:
    <body>
    &lt;script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/gifts/scripts/banners2.js"></script>

    With ad blocking turned off, you will see the rotating banner ads. With ad blocking turned on......... you will NOT see the banner ads. When I view the source code sometimes I see the scripts are still there. But I have also seen Norton strip the code out like this:

    &lt;script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" ></script>

    When I first saw the code was stripped, I thought I was loosing my mind. I checked the wesite control panel file manger and viewed the fiile on the server. The code was there and the page displayed the way it should. I viewed the page on my pc using dreamweaver. The page displayed fine.

    But with Norton Ad Blocking turned on, what I viewed on the web, had the code stripped out or the ads were blocked not showing.

    When you mention the 1x1 pixel is not being blocked by Norton, but any image that is not a 1x1 pixel is being blocked.

    The script says:

    function dispBanner() {
    with (this) document.write("[img]" + imgSource + "[/img]");
    }
    banner.prototype.dispBanner = dispBanner;
    banners = new Array();
    banners[0] = new banner("http://www.galichon.net/images/banner/galichon_logo.jpg",
    "http://www.galichon.net target='_blank'",
    "Galichon Enterprises",
    30);
    banners[1] = new banner("http://marketing.vistaprint.net/us/imgs/bannerads/25off_A_PUR_468x60.gif", "http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=26298982&siteid=40317434&bfpage=468x60_25__off_any1 target='_blank'",


    Here is another script I use and it is not a 1x1 pixel image size and it is being blocked by Norton:

    var how_many_ads = 6;
    var now = new Date()
    var sec = now.getSeconds()
    var ad = sec % how_many_ads;
    ad +=1;
    if (ad==1) {
    url="http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37922829&siteid=40317434&bfpid=106790001&bfmtype=product";
    alt="Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Collector Plate";
    banner="http://ak.collectiblestoday.com/images/product/150/0106790001.jpg";
    width="130";
    height="130";


    If I store the image on my own server and link it with an affliate id. Norton does not block it. This is tested here as well. See the little pink basket weave image? That is my own image, stored on my server and linked with an affiiliate code:

    [img]../mix_background/basketpinkjpg.jpg[/img]

    Having to do this creates alot of additional work, finding, saving and uploading the images and being sure the right affilate code is on the right image. I can see where this could be a real mess.

    I must ask myself, why is my own image acceptable to Norton, but not the merchants image? It doesn't whether it is a 1x1 pixel or more. Answer, my image does not have the "bug tracking" embedded it in.

    I was reading in the parasite forum, that if an affiliate does not use the merchants image, they are suspected of as using parasite ware to increase sales........ because it shows a sale ratio, but no impressions.

    If you have Norton ad blocking capabilities, test this page for yourself.

    So my question is how are we to use affilate ads when most knowledgeable web users are using ad blocking?


    Are the merchants and affilate programs aware that our efforts are being blocked by Norton's ability to block their tracking images? How can we get around this, if not by storing the images ourself?

    Peach


    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    None of my affiliates ever get their creatives or coded text links blocked by Norton. Most networks and many merchants wouldn't like the simple solution as it also prevents any non-reporting of sales without closing down their shopping carts. BHO affiliate ID hijack proof and the Ad Blockers legal departments don't even want to open that can on worms.

    Mike & Charlie ...

    "Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    41
    Ohhh, I see a few parts of the coding were left out. The first script must be in the head and the second script must be in the body. I used brackets on the original post, which of course was html and it left it out of the message. It also did it on the image code. So I'll try this to show you the code on my image:


    http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click...fmtype=product target is blank

    img src=../mix_background/basketpinkjpg.jpg width=100 height=100 border=0

    Peach


    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peach:
    I use Norton Internet Security Professional and I tested Norton Ad Blocking on this page:

    http://peachpatch.com/members/cards/testing.html

    I use rotating banner scripts. For them to work they are in two scripts. One must be in the

    <head>
    &lt;script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/gifts/scripts/banners.js"></script>

    And one must be in the:
    <body>
    &lt;script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/gifts/scripts/banners2.js"></script>

    With ad blocking turned off, you will see the rotating banner ads. With ad blocking turned on......... you will NOT see the banner ads. When I view the source code sometimes I see the scripts are still there. But I have also seen Norton strip the code out like this:

    &lt;script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" ></script>

    When I first saw the code was stripped, I thought I was loosing my mind. I checked the wesite control panel file manger and viewed the fiile on the server. The code was there and the page displayed the way it should. I viewed the page on my pc using dreamweaver. The page displayed fine.

    But with Norton Ad Blocking turned on, what I viewed on the web, had the code stripped out or the ads were blocked not showing.

    When you mention the 1x1 pixel is not being blocked by Norton, but any image that is not a 1x1 pixel is being blocked.

    The script says:

    function dispBanner() {
    with (this) document.write("[img]" + imgSource + "[/img]");
    }
    banner.prototype.dispBanner = dispBanner;
    banners = new Array();
    banners[0] = new banner("http://www.galichon.net/images/banner/galichon_logo.jpg",
    "http://www.galichon.net target='_blank'",
    "Galichon Enterprises",
    30);
    banners[1] = new banner("http://marketing.vistaprint.net/us/imgs/bannerads/25off_A_PUR_468x60.gif", "http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=26298982&siteid=40317434&bfpage=468x60_25__off_any1 target='_blank'",


    Here is another script I use and it is not a 1x1 pixel image size and it is being blocked by Norton:

    var how_many_ads = 6;
    var now = new Date()
    var sec = now.getSeconds()
    var ad = sec % how_many_ads;
    ad +=1;
    if (ad==1) {
    url="http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37922829&siteid=40317434&bfpid=106790001&bfmtype=product";
    alt="Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Collector Plate";
    banner="http://ak.collectiblestoday.com/images/product/150/0106790001.jpg";
    width="130";
    height="130";


    If I store the image on my own server and link it with an affliate id. Norton does not block it. This is tested here as well. See the little pink basket weave image? That is my own image, stored on my server and linked with an affiiliate code:

    [img]../mix_background/basketpinkjpg.jpg[/img]

    Having to do this creates alot of additional work, finding, saving and uploading the images and being sure the right affilate code is on the right image. I can see where this could be a real mess.

    I must ask myself, why is my own image acceptable to Norton, but not the merchants image? It doesn't whether it is a 1x1 pixel or more. Answer, my image does not have the "bug tracking" embedded it in.

    I was reading in the parasite forum, that if an affiliate does not use the merchants image, they are suspected of as using parasite ware to increase sales........ because it shows a sale ratio, but no impressions.

    If you have Norton ad blocking capabilities, test this page for yourself.

    So my question is how are we to use affilate ads when most knowledgeable web users are using ad blocking?


    Are the merchants and affilate programs aware that our efforts are being blocked by Norton's ability to block their tracking images? How can we get around this, if not by storing the images ourself?

    Peach


    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    None of my affiliates ever get their creatives or coded text links blocked by Norton. Most networks and many merchants wouldn't like the simple solution as it also prevents any non-reporting of sales without closing down their shopping carts. BHO affiliate ID hijack proof and the Ad Blockers legal departments don't even want to open that can on worms.

    Mike & Charlie ...

    "Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    41
    The text affilate links are not being blocked. The merchant wants the images (even the 1x1 pixel) for tracking impressions. The merchant images are being blocked and it doesn't matter what pixel size is being used.

    The merchants tracking image is being blocked by Norton.

    Someone should take a serious look at this can of worms, because lots of affilates are losing money using their affilate programs provided affiliate codes.

    Please see my other post.

    Thanks,
    Peach


    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    None of my affiliates ever get their creatives or coded text links blocked by Norton. Most networks and many merchants wouldn't like the simple solution as it also prevents any non-reporting of sales without closing down their shopping carts. BHO affiliate ID hijack proof and the Ad Blockers legal departments don't even want to open that can on worms.

    Mike & Charlie ...

    "Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

  9. #9
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Unfortunately Peach the networks cannot wean themselves from their advertising mindset. They refuse to stop shopper trend data-mining to keep off Norton's hit list. Instead they keep adding more and more spyware clickstream monitoring bugs into their network server interfaces to sell off info to multiple bidders in the Ad Whore industry.

    As the affiliates and networks elivate the gorrilla marketing tricks as acceptable practices you'll find the actual shoppers will flock to anti-advertising solutions for protecting their daily online experiences.

    Just keep on building a bookmarkable site where you do not subject one of your visitors to a unethical merchant or merchant middleman. Ad rotator scripts are just a casuality of the consumers war on gorrilla marketers.

    Mike & Charlie ...

    "Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    41
    I just sent my forum messages to BeFree and Linkshare informing them I will no longer use their merchants images containing tracking codes on my website. I will store the image myself and use the affilitate text link.

    When I view my site stats I see 8,777 impressions in very short time and very few sales. The impressions are being recorded even though the visitor can't see the ad.

    I prefer to have no impressions listed vs the ability to make a sale. If impression stats are that important to the Merchants, they need to change their images.

    The ad blocking has become a major problem for the affilate and the merchants should be aware of this.

    As least I informed them of what my practices will be, so if sales suddenly start increasing, they don't accuse me of using parasiteware.

    I encourage all affilates to write to their affilate programs if they are having their ads blocked by Norton.

    Thanks,
    Peach



    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Unfortunately Peach the networks cannot wean themselves from their advertising mindset. They refuse to stop shopper trend data-mining to keep off Norton's hit list. Instead they keep adding more and more spyware clickstream monitoring bugs into their network server interfaces to sell off info to multiple bidders in the Ad Whore industry.

    As the affiliates and networks elivate the gorrilla marketing tricks as acceptable practices you'll find the actual shoppers will flock to anti-advertising solutions for protecting their daily online experiences.

    Just keep on building a bookmarkable site where you do not subject one of your visitors to a unethical merchant or merchant middleman. Ad rotator scripts are just a casuality of the consumers war on gorrilla marketers.

    Mike & Charlie ...

    "Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,316
    Hi All -

    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We are looking into this issue, and I will update you as soon as we have more information.

    Sarah

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador DesignerWiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    2,777
    Hello Peach, I usually try not to mention our product in other forum boards .. but have you tried our Affiliate Anti-Ad Showcase Manager BETA Test?
    URL: http://www.designerwiz.com/cgi-bin/perl/test/test.pl

    Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

  13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Featured: Norton blocking CJ links on Facebook (resolved)
    By jantaro in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: October 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
  2. Norton blocking affiliate links
    By spacedog in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: December 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
  3. Banners not shown due to Norton's blocking
    By skuba in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
  4. Norton Still Blocking CJ text links and banners
    By Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: February 9th, 2004, 05:50 PM
  5. Norton BLOCKING affiliate links & banners
    By Mr. Sal in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: February 4th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •