Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Has anyone else noticed that buy.com, who is a premium partner, has November, December & January unpaid? This is an excerpt:

"Pays affiliates on a monthly basis"

Now this has been going on for about a rolling 3 months where they are always behind. I sure hope something isn't going on there.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All the real ethical management bailed out of that company 16 months ago. Probably another LS professional affiliate managenent company client hiding their financial position. Some of the old management posted at F*ckedompany.com they were now a VC run operation headed for the dead .com pool. Nice site and products, leveraging a simple to remember domain name, fueling the double dipping BHO's.

Hard to think they're anything more then a Dell.com type operation catering to the Dupers. Good one for the couponers and cookie stuffers to play with as you'll never see them stopping any mass advertising techniques.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Hi Survey Man,

Q4 was such a busy season for Buy.com and I apologize for the delay from our accounting team in getting Q4 affiliate commissions out. Checks have been processed, cut, awaiting signature and will be mailed next week latest.

Just so you are aware, our payment to LinkShare is due 30 days AFTER month end. Once they receieve our check, they estimate approx 2 weeks to cut, process and mail out the affiliate checks. So comission checks are generally received 60 days from month end.

I assure you Buy.com is financially secure and we will be around for a VERY long time!

Thank you for your business, and I apologize once again.

Best,
    Melissa

Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@buy.com

ABW Ambassador
    Melissa,

In any case, buy.com is way behind and clearly past due on two months of payments which I am sure you will not deny. I would just hope that this can change in the future and things can stay caught up with the exception being once in a while an not the norm as it has been for the past 3 rolling months.

And also, 30 days plus the up to 10 days for processing checks is not 60 days, but 40-45 but again, in any case there are two months of commissions past that.

Glad to hear you all are secure in the finance department, we'll look for more good sales.

Thanks for your answers, we'll keep checking.

Melissa I think the payment procedure is the merchant can download their commission detailed voucher normally by the 10th of the month. NO NET 30day TERMs specified except for maybe the network fee payments. Your own TOS spells out the commission payment terms ...not Linkshare.

You've always had a great shopper friendly site, and except for the management and ownership turnover period with major creditor's cutting off inventory credit, you should be showing 1 sale per every 60 targeted affiliate clicks. What is your network wide conversion ratio?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>our payment to LinkShare is due 30 days AFTER month end. Once they receieve our check, they estimate approx 2 weeks to cut, process and mail out the affiliate checks. So comission checks are generally received 60 days from month end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Besides the questionable math, why are you assuming that its ok to wait until the last possible minute to get the check in?

Affiliates get hurt when you do this, not linkshare.

If timely payments are important to affiliates, why don't you try to get the checks to them as soon as possible, rather than aiming for as LATE as possible?

Mike Jacobs

--------------------------------------
    WebMogul - Online Marketing that Works
    www.webmogul.com

Many of the more affiliate friendly merchants at Linkshare pay faster than that. Some pay slower. If you want to make a good impression with affiliates, turn that payment around as fast as you can.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Q4 and Q1 have been so busy for me that I haven't had time to update any Buy.com links or promotions.

Unfortunately the duration of your coupons is too short.

For example, the February coupon (Feb 1-29) was released in late January. But it takes 30 AFTER month end to update our html, and then approximately two weeks to upload it to the site (total 60 days). So in other words, the October coupon is just starting to show up on our site this week.

ABW Ambassador
    jimbo, ROFL...I hope we can all take this in good humor. Even Melissa, whom I hope does come back to see the feedback this is generating...

Yeah Jimbo, great one.

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

Lo and behold, November is still outstanding...

Waiting till the last minute to pay is bad enough... completely missing the due date is a whole 'nother story.

Where's the $, Buy.com?

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, as of the end of the 18th, over 1 week later no check or checks have been received by Linkshare. It is odd that a check would take over 7 days to arrive from any part of the country, perhaps they got lost in the mail or are still awaiting a signature?

(echo, echo)

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

Has anyone gotten a check yet?

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

I think I vaguely remember getting a check once.

Linkshare shows that they received payment for November and December on Feburary 20th. They don't show that they've cut the checks to affiliates yet, though.

Even DELL is faster than this. It would be nice if all merchants could be like Overstock.com and NetMagazines.com. They're always the first Linkshare merchants to pay each month.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

What good is being paid early if you aren't being paid what you really earned?

It would be nice if other merchants were NOTHING like Overstock.

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I say this because it is the right thing to do, even though the checks were late....Thank you for taking care of and paying the two late checks...they have been received as of 3/3.

Its a strange day when we have to be "thankful" that a merchant takes value from us, and then pays us what was promised months after it was due.

I'm not thankful for being strung along.

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

OverStock's cookie might suffer from over exposure, but that is one company who pays early ...everytime...both affiliates and suppliers.

Wrong choice of merchants, as all merchants could learn from them on good customer service and how to become a top 50 destination web site: "It would be nice if other merchants were NOTHING like Overstock....Mike Jacobs"

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

Paying the wrong amount on time IMHO 'aint worth any more than paying the wrong amount a few months late...

In fact, its likely a whole lot worse.

In fact, if we're talking about a substantial loss to cookie stuffing, parasites, and bad reporting (all claims made numerous times about Overstock and never refuted), I will GLADLY take a merchant paying 3 months late over that.

Hey, I got an affiliate program and a bridget to sell you.... 100% commission, Net 1 Day reporting, and, oh yeah, we tend to "lose" commissions from time to time.

What good is Net 1 Day payment if the check is for $0?

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

(sorry, accidental duplicate post)

It's a strange day when I find myself agreeing with Mike at EComWorks.com and disagreeing with Mike Jacobs...

Mike, I'm not sure what problems you had in the past with Overstock.com, but they' perform incredibly well for me. Good conversions. Good commissions. Good prices. Good coupons. Good shipping rates. Good customer service. Very popular with my visitors. Good affiliate management team. It's rare to find a merchant that is good in ALL of those areas. They've had some issues in the past, but they seem to be past that now.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I guess you haven't noticed the long threads of complaints about Overstock in the forum.

Wait, hold on a second, you POSTED in those forums. Maybe this time you should read the other threads.

You seem to be a notable exception, and have ignored the genuine issues numerous other affiliates have brought up.

"They've had some issues in the past, but they seem to be past that now."

On what basis are you making that claim? Because they *claimed* it?

Seriously, I'm not sure why, but you don't at all seem to be an objective source on Overstock.

You've ignored concerns and stats from other Overstock affiliates even in threads you've responded to. In fact, you seem to frequently make "exception" posts. Do you have a stake in promoting them?

What gives?

Mike Jacobs

www.webmogul.com

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think Michael has ignored anything. He seems to be telling us about his own experiences with Overstock.com, which have been very positive.

Without ignoring all the problems, I too have been doing very well with Overstock.com for the past three months.

If they are making false claims about fixing those problems, then you should detail them here, because I was very comfortable about removing them from my site during the previous episodes, and I would very much like to know if I am getting lied to this time around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast