Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    This is one type of offer I have never seen before. CC is having a sale, and it is on us!

They are having a 40% off sale. If you want the banners for it, apparently you have to sign up for a new Offer whereby they cut your commission to 3% (from 5-7%).

They are "confident you will be pleased with your profits, even at the 3% commission".

ABW Ambassador
    Wonderful! Where is the link?????????

Outsourced Program Manager
    You should see the link by tomorrow, though the email states it will be available on the 12th. Look for it tomorrow.

You may have noticed that we have not had an offer for affiliates in quite some time. I know that the commission level is lower, but it was either that or no offer at all. It just wasn't profitable to take such a hit in margin and then in commissions. Like I said in the email, I'm still not making money on this, but Im not losing any at this level.

I'm doing the best I can to get good offers and promotions to entice your users to make a purchase. I appreciate your understanding and continued participation.

If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to give me a call or email me your number and I'll call you.

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

Sorry, this is just all wrong.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

You should all see the offer available in your Linshare interface now. I would suggest you only opt in when you are ready to post the banners and promote the sale. The banners will be available shortly after midnight tonight.

I understand this is different and I am available to discuss this should anyone want a more in depth explanation. Just give me a call.

Jamie Birch
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

ABW Ambassador
    I don't feel it is in my best interests to subsidize your sale.

It would be easy to create an offer that does not require affiliates to pick up part of the cost of the customer's purchase. For example, make it 35% off (or 38%) instead of 40%, that way you make more and can still pay the regular commission. If you cannot afford to take off 40%, then why do it?

The level of the offer is not decided by me. But I thank you for your input.

Jamie Birch
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have a problem with it, 40% off is a lot, should generate extra sales. And you have to opt in for it, so if you don't like it, then don't opt in for it, but i will

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't have a problem with it, 40% off is a lot, should generate extra sales. And you have to opt in for it, so if you don't like it, then don't opt in for it, but i will <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, if you are willing to promote clothes for 3% you have no problem with it.

But I cannot have my customers paying 40% more than your customers. If they do, they will be pissed at me when they find out.

It is not clear, but if the 40% off is for all customers, then why would you opt in? Just to get access to banners? Everyone else could make their own banners.

ABW Ambassador
    I would opt in to get those 40% off links. Not sure but maybe the 40% is only through those links where the links take you to a page explaining the deal or shows at checkout. If's a just a code there could be a problem. I'm sure they will make sure any sales generated with the 40% off deal will be commissioned at 3% and if you try to make you own banners trying to get around the 3% you could end up getting 0%.

"But I cannot have my customers paying 40% more than your customers. If they do, they will be pissed at me when they find out. "

What's more important? Your dissatisfaction with 3% for a few days or your customers?

I work in lounge pants

I will probably opt into this as well. 40% off coupons sell very well. I would rather make 10X (or even 3X) the sales at 3% than the regular amount of sales at 5-7%.

Still, I strongly agree with those who are proposing a 35% off coupon. If you can afford 40%+3%, surely you can afford 35%+5-7%.

I realize that many AM's are restricted in what they can do. It's really a shame. The affiliate channel is BY FAR the most effective marketing channel that most companies have, yet affiliates are often given less tools to work with.

Show me one magazine who wouldn't laugh in your face if you approached their ad sales department and said "We'd like to run an ad in your magazine with a 40% off coupon, but we'd like to pay less than half of your normal rate for the ad."

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

This sale will not be posted on the site and not available to everyone.

Jamie Birch
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

And now they're running a 50% off coupon through their internal newsletter. Yet they can't afford to pay a 5-7% commission with a 35% off or 40% off coupon.

Jamie, you really need to do a better job of selling your affiliate team within your company. We can't do our job when we're not given the tools.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    50% off everything?

Yep, they run them fairly frequently. Sometimes they even run a combo coupon for 50% off PLUS free shipping.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

This is a bunch of bunk. Coldwater Creek raised their prices before this sale!

From a shopper:

Boy was I shocked when I saw that a dress I purchased for $23 is now listed at $65! Even with the code, it is more now than 2 weeks ago. Several other items were like that as well. Beware of the prices right now.

From Another:

Coldwater must mark their Outlet items up and down, which surprises me. They had a jacket that I really liked marked down to around $70 about a month ago (Back when there wasn't a 50% off code), and the same jacket is back up to $120!

The 50% off went to a select few. The rest have the 40% off. I am given offers and there isn't much I can do about it.

The banners are out there, thanks for everyone's participation.

Jamie Birch
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

I agree this really stinks, but I can't know of a 40% off sale and not tell my subscribers, no matter how little money I make. I just don't feel that is fair to them, who read my newsletter regularly. There are good deals to be had on the site, regardless of whether they do jack up some prices - and, who doesn't? I'm not trying to stick up for what CC is doing, just trying to do right by my subscribers. Its a tough call.

Maria at ItsRainingBargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    If they raised prices to that degree, then
    I am surprised they can't afford to pay the regular commissions.

I think coupon sites will put up with anything (if they don't list the merchant, they don't get a commission). But I don't run a coupon site, so I don't need Coldwater. There are plenty of other apparel and accessories shops out there.

I understand everyone's frustrations. I feel them as well. I fought to get you a discount and got an amazing discount, 40% off is huge. Yes it is at a lower commission, I understand that frustration as well, but at anything higher I would not have been able to offer you the offer at all, not only now but for the foreseable future as well. I figured that for those that promote offers, an offer at a lower level was better then no offer at all. And it is opt in, so if you don't like it, then you don't have to take the lower commission. That enables me to keep the 7% commission level the rest of the year. If you would like more of an explanation, just give me a call. 208-265-3958

The prices issue, I really have no idea, it may be a select few items. Sometimes products move from Outlet to other areas of our site, that may be why you see that. Its only on a few products though. I'll look into it, but may not be able to post any results here as we are a public company, feel free to give me a call and we can chat about it.

I continue to work to develop ways that our relationship with you and all our affiliates is benefitial to both of us. That is the key, many things we did in the past just simply were not profitable for us.

Due to the fact that we are a public company, I can't answer every question here on ABW. So, if these answers are not satisfactory, please give me a call.

Jamie Birch
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

Jamie,

When you run a print ad for 40% off, do the magazines, newspapers get paid less? I can imagine what they say to your media buyer...

My rates don't drop just because you don't make money, your the ones the created the sale.

Tisk Tisk...

Allen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    This is a bunch of bunk. Coldwater Creek raised their prices before this sale!

From a shopper:

Boy was I shocked when I saw that a dress I purchased for $23 is now listed at $65! Even with the code, it is more now than 2 weeks ago. Several other items were like that as well. Beware of the prices right now.

From Another:

Coldwater must mark their Outlet items up and down, which surprises me. They had a jacket that I really liked marked down to around $70 about a month ago (Back when there wasn't a 50% off code), and the same jacket is back up to $120! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Connie,

In defense of Coldwater Creek, I think this is pretty isolated. I track all price drops and price increases. They had a bunch of increases on 2/26 (probably when a sale ended), but since then it's been almost entirely price drops (most on 3/4 and 3/11).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I marketed it.

If i get some sales I will market similar things for them in the future.
    I consider this a test...

And now they're running an "50% off plus free shipping" coupon in their internal newsletters. Yet affiliates are being asked to take a significant cut in their commission rate to be able to promote an inferior 40% off coupon. This just doesn't make sense.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    How did the big 40% off and reduced commission promotion go? Did everybody make a lot of money?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast