<TITLE>Newsletter</TITLE>

</HEAD>
    <BODY BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF>

<center><A HREF="http://www.ullapopken.com" TARGET=_blank>
    </A></center>

<FONT face=verdana SIZE="1" COLOR="#FF0000">
    <center><big><big><big><u>IMPORTANT NOTICE!</u></big></big></big></center>

<FONT face=verdana SIZE="3" COLOR="#000000">
    <big>Effective Immediately:</big> Affiliates are not permitted to bid on the Ulla Popken
    name which includes without limitation, any variation of the name Ulla Popken
    Of course, affiliates will be able to bid on other key terms such as "Plus Size", "Fashion", etc.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter and we expect all affiliates to comply within 10 days of receiving this email.
    Ulla Popken values the relationship with all of our affiliates and we look forward to the continued success of our program.

<FONT face=verdana SIZE="2" COLOR="#000000">
    Best Regards

Jason Emenhiser

affiliatesupport@ullapopken.com Send Reply

www.ullapopken.com
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

[This message was edited by Ulla Popken on March 09, 2004 at 11:48 AM.]

Could you make the red text just a wee bit bigger? Kinda hard to see. LOL

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    it sure does look important at that size

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

<p align="center">Not to be rude but</p>
    <p align="center"><font size="6" color="red">YOU CANNOT CLAIM Ulla</font></p>
    <p align="center">Its a university name.</p>

</p>
    ULLA: European University Consortium for Pharmaceutical Research

SandraR<font color="red"></font>
    <font face="Arial" size="1">ArtGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">AutoGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">BookGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">CleanGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GameGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GiftGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">PetGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1">
    </font><font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    What if I am not an affiliate? Can I bid on Ulla Popken?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We appreciate your cooperation in this matter and we expect all affiliates to comply within 10 days of receiving this email.
    Ulla Popken values the relationship with all of our affiliates and we look forward to the continued success of our program. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone else see the irony in these two sentences?

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    I like Ulla, they convert well for me

I work in lounge pants

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Does anyone else see the irony in these two sentences?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yep, seems like they go hand in hand to me. They're tellin' ya not to do something that would help you make money, but they want you to be successful anyway, right? Sounds good to me. My name is Dolt Dimwit and I drive a turnip truck...DOH!

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We appreciate your cooperation in this matter and we expect all affiliates to comply within 10 days of receiving this email.
    Ulla Popken values the relationship with all of our affiliates and we look forward to the continued success of our program. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds exactly like the irony in what an empl*yer would say!

"You must also be ready to work overtime without advance warning."
    "We realize you have a life outside of work..."

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Leader:

Do we have to go through this again?

---------

I will not pretend there are no similarities when there ARE!

ABW Ambassador
    You must have had some really bad jobs.

Awful, every one of them.

But it's *true*--doublespeak is the native language of employers, or at least the managers at the level of say, head cashier or line boss.

Next thing is the contradictory or impossible orders. For example, "Put all 15 things in this box, on a shelf with room for 10, without putting anything back in the back room AND without using any other shelf space!"

And yes--that is a REAL example from one of my j*bs!

That is not how all employers operate. That is not how all managers operate.

I have had some that would fall into that category; I have had some that do not. I, for one, strive not only to be one that does not, but to make sure the unit I work with avoids that type of behavior across the board.

I'm sorry you've had nothing but negative experiences, but that does not mean I'm a moron because I happen to be a manager.

---------

ABW Ambassador
    Ulla Popken has every right and justification to give notice simply by having the local constabulary drop love notes off at the homes or offices of those who use Ulla Popken's trademark to drive traffic to their own sites.

It seems to me that they value their relationships with their affilates enough to be nice about it instead.

------------------------------
    Get Rich or Try Dyin' ~ Fy Dolla
    Got a beef? Call the Chief! 1-900-CHIEFBS

ABW Ambassador
    I for one think there request is reasonable and that it makes perfect sense. I do not see the value of doing a search for a company name and seeing 15 different ppc ads for it on the side of the page....

Do a seach for Cold Water Creek in google and tell me how that adds value to the company? Heck, I even put up a ppc add "a long time ago" for ColdWater Creek that said :

"What - not another Coldwater Creek ad!" It's true, I did - LOL!

To bid on Brand Name keywords in this kind of scenario makes absolutely no sense to me and I DONT see value for the merchant or the affiliate.

I appluad Ullas due dillegence to protect it's brand name myself.

** Have you asked for change? **

ABW Ambassador
    Don't understand this thread.
    They just posted not to bid on their TM with PPC, what a lot of merchants ask. You do it after 10 days you might be dropped. Don't see anything wrong with this. I like them

I work in lounge pants

I think it may have been the attempt at posting the HTML enhanced message that sent some over the top.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> think it may have been the attempt at posting the HTML enhanced message that sent some over the top<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What sent me over the top was the false claim about an IMPORTANT NOTICE being here.

Anyways, I don't have any problem with a merchant limiting bidding on its name, but I do have a big problem with manufacturers who do it, particularly manufacturers who sell thru both retailers and directly. That is a load of crap to limit their distributors access to marketing their products.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To bid on Brand Name keywords in this kind of scenario makes absolutely no sense to me and I DONT see value for the merchant or the affiliate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a merchant, I look at ti this way...

If I had a "bricks & mortar" store, and my competition purchased bill board space directly next to my store, there would be very littel I could do about it (as long as they weren't defaming my brand, etc.) Sure customer's would be lookig to patron that establishment, and my sign certianly wouldn;t be preventing that, but as long as I didnt; use my comtpeitors brand in the ad itself, it would be infringment, etc.

Why should the net be any different?

Erik

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That is not how all employers operate. That is not how all managers operate.

I have had some that would fall into that category; I have had some that do not. I, for one, strive not only to be one that does not, but to make sure the unit I work with avoids that type of behavior across the board.

I'm sorry you've had nothing but negative experiences, but that does not mean I'm a moron because I happen to be a manager.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Karl--just because YOU try not to be a jerk, doesn't mean I need to stop dissing all the others. Or that I should! That'd be being WAY too nice to those who need to jump off a pier.

To stop dissing employment because you personally don't operate that way, would be like saying a dioxin-filled lake was okay to dive into because it has one small stream of pure water coming in.

Those in your clean river may be able to swim okay but sorry, that lake is still a Superfund Site.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I think that affiliates should be able to bid on a merchant name just like bricks-and-mortar stores are allowed to use the logos of the products they sell in their ads.

Just imagine if clothes stores were only able to say "denim pants" instead of Levi's!

Affiliates of StoreX have links to StoreX, and should be allowed to say so when people are looking for StoreX.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Karl--just because YOU try not to be a jerk, doesn't mean I need to stop dissing all the others. Or that I should! That'd be being WAY too nice to those who need to jump off a pier.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leader: But the way you're wording it sounds like you mean all. That's like saying all affiliate networks are a waste of time or all downloadable applications are BHOs or all major affiliate programs are run by AdWhore wanks or all sites should be content sites.

I agree that you can and should slam most employers and managers and companies, because most of them fit the mold you describe. But when you imply that all managers, etc. fit that mold you include me and other like-minded folk and that's just not accurate.

---------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader: But the way you're wording it sounds like you mean _all._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'd be a huge PITA to put a disclaimer under every anti-employment statement. That'd be like having to mention the Mexican Hairless in every statement that pertained to dog hair.

(Yin/Yang) Agreed!

ABW Ambassador
    TrustNo1 wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I like Ulla, they convert well for me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, they converted well for me when I bothered to promote the site they are listed on. Converted better on CJ, though. But that's beside the point.

I've argued this on other forums and it's too late at night for me to go through the whole argument again, but the essence of it is this: It's Ulla Popken's name to do with what they will. However, they will find that they retain more control over their brand by allowing affiliates to bid on it in PPC advertising than if they do not.

The question here is - have Ulla let Google and Overture et alii know that Ulla Popken is a trademark and that no one may bid on it ? If the answer is no, then they are opening up the PPC space to their competitors.

If the answer is yes, then there will be one (or zero) paid bids for their name. This creates its own problems as what they are left with is something they cannot have any control over - the organic listings. Let's say I hate Ulla Popken. I can create and optimise a site with the title 'Ulla Popken Sucks' and have it placed just below (or even above) their own listing.

This will negatively affect their brand. However, if there's half a dozen AdWords listings promoting Ulla or even three sponsored Overture listings, then the affect of my Ulla Popken sucks site will be much reduced. Particularly in the case of Overture listings where my Ulla Popken sucks site would be pushed down the visible results.

Indeed, if this page was spiderable, I reckon with a couple more posts like this, I could have it ranking in the top ten for Ulla Popken without any trouble.

The question is - what would they prefer, a whole page of listings that generate them income or not.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast