Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Hello again this is Joey the Affiliate Manager for Plow & Hearth, HearthSong, and Magic Cabin. I found myself digging deeper into this site and stumbled upon a lot of talk about inactive/unresponsive merchants. I also stumbled upon talk about merchants spamming the system with offers and promotions. Does the perfect AM walk that gray area in-between or are sites with legit backgrounds and non-gimicky language (like ours) able to do a bit more program selling on the forum? Of course this question is because I’m the new guy and I need to pick up some of the forum norms.
    Also I would encourage any past, present, or future affiliates to approach me with any questions or concerns you may have about the three brands.
    Have a good one,
    Joey - Jporterfield2@1800flowers.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Welcome Joey. You'll find ABW is the one and only complete guide on how to generate 800% increases in your programs sales. Nice part is it only requires your throw away your IAB/DMA advertising cap and put on a sales managers cap.

We flock to merchants who don't use planned diversion tactics, have creatives with high conversion landing pages and no BHO partnerships. Your ability to publish honest networkwide affiliate conversion ratios ( average # of clicks to make 1 sale) seperates you from the crowd of 5000 other merchnats. Or you can be like 800-flowers and just pimp for the Ad Whores playing both sides of the fense.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the input Mike & Charlie -
    Just a few questions - What are BHO partnerships (need a 101 on the lingo) and Who are these Ad Whores and what actions make them so vile?
    Joey - jporterfield2@1800flowers.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Pleased to meet you. Added a link or two to Magic Cabin a while back, it's a nice site! Generated a few hits, but no sales yet, just haven't sent enough over to you yet.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    This is my understanding of the terminology.

I believe BHO refers to Browser Helper Object. Quite frankly I think the name parasite is a much better description for the problem than BHO. Google has a browser helper object that isn't all that evil. Some BHOs allow the end user to block all popups. So it is possible for BHOs to improve the web experience. Some BHOs block all ads!!!!

Unfortunately, the BHO is a major entry point for parasites. A BHO can monitor you surfing activity, pop up additional ads. They can even swap out affiliate tags, so a click that came from ecomcity would look like it came from the BHO.

Many merchants are enamored with BHOs since the companies that make them tend to be a little more technically sophisticated than affiliate marketers. However, BHOs exists simply because Microsoft created an interface for them. You have to hire a programmer who can implement the API. No big deal. A large number of BHOs are malformed and cause computer problems. Computer owners often have to take their computer into the shop for an OS re-install because they are infected with BHOs and other parasites.

I believe the reference to ad whores is the large number of companies in affiliate marketing that are just using it to get free advertising.

Quite a few come into affiliate marketing thinking with the "advertising mindset." In traditional advertising buy x placements for x dollars. You can turn the channel on and off at will... Affiliate marketing is more like a long term partnership. It takes several months for an affiliate site to get up and running and they want it to be running several years to get a return on their investment. Of course, when you set up a program a large number of sites will use you as a supplement to traditional marketing.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Hi Joey,

Post your URLs in your signature so we affiliates can check out your sites.

Billy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Kay:
    Hi Joey,
    Post your URLs in your signature so we affiliates can check out your sites.
    Billy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about you post your sites in your signature so Merchants can see if they want to do business with you.

1800flowers.com

Are you on drugs? DAMN you have a lot of nerve!

You entered the realm of WE HATE your BULLSHIT STEALING COMMISSION TACTICS…

Has everyone forgotten that article about how proud they are in stealing all our affiliate earnings?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Sandra,

My url is

http://mailordershoppe.com/

Billy

Billy,

Just to put this straight 1800flowers is in bed with every single parasite imaginable they even brag about it.

The Affiliate Manager for Plow & Hearth, HearthSong has an email address of the LARGEST parasite merchant on the Internet.

1800flowers

Mike Mike Mike

Your opportunity to put the screws to the enemy and you missed it entirely?

DAMN ! I am loosing faith in you!

Affiliate Manager
    The thread I started above is an honest question; I’ve just been on this site for a week now. The three brands I manage are Plow & Hearth (www.plowhearth.com), HearthSong (www.hearthsong.com), and Magic Cabin (www.magiccabin.com). Anywho – Sandra could you send me the link to that article about 18F and parasites?
    Joey – jporterfield2@1800flowers.com

[Fixed Links]

[This message was edited by Haiko on March 22, 2004 at 06:25 AM.]

[This message was edited by JoeyP&H on March 25, 2004 at 12:42 PM.]

Sounds like another TigerDirect story to me.

“We are separate (Dirtek).. oops the mother company has decided no more! “

Tell me another story! Everyone here at ABW has heard that story once already, how many times do you really think it takes before we understand the way parasites work?

Affiliate Manager
    Sandra could you tell me the TigerDirect story? Could you also send me that article? No one is attempting to tell you guys a story. Have a good one.

Merchant Name Impressions Click-Throughs C/I(%) # of Orders # of Items # of Items Canceled O/C(%) Sales($) Commissions($)
    1-800-FLOWERS.COM 87,993 382 0.43% 1 1 0 0.26% $24.99 $2.00

I'm of the opinion that merchants seeking new active affiliates HAVE to honestly publish their sites average conversion ratio (clicks to genarate 1 sale) to entice showcase exposure.

90,000 branding impressions with a conversion ratio of 1/390 shows 1-800-flowers is a overpriced rat hole to poor one-way traffic into. If they don't convert on major Holidays with special creatives ...they rest of the year they won't convert either. Too many merchnats approach affiliate marketing as the cheapest form of ADVERTISING. Sales should not be an accidental occurance or something performed by the Point of Sale interlopers (BHO's) and the cookie stuffer tricksters employing non-physical click schemes to set their cookies.

I refuse to act as a traffic intermediary for full list price markup direct mail catalog vendors unless they pay me for publishing their paper catalogs in web ink. My take on the giftware/flower market. Make the merchnats pay a PPC fee PLUS commissions to make their affiliate expense equal their PPCSE keyword expense.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, you seem to be in over your head trying to interpret statistics. You are also out of touch with the normal affiliate.

We don't do branding impressions. We get paid for sales.

What difference does the number of impressions have anyways, particualrly when you don't compare it to anything (in other words you need controls in your experiments; do all florists do poorly on your site or just 1-800? are your results typical of a banner farm? a coupon site? a targeted traffic site? a computer reseller site? or what?)?

Here are our results for 1-800 on a real site with targeted traffic (flower and gift shoppers): O/C = 1.3% epc = $5.9. By the way, these results are unacceptable to me.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the info Mike. If 1800Flowers is not working out for your site that is unfortunate. Again, the brands I manage are totally different from 18F. I'll work on finding an overall conversion rate for Plow, HearthSong, and Magic Cabin. Have a good one.

Joey 3 merchants came forward 3 years ago and published honest conversion ratios as I requested. The 3 were TigerDirect (the first) Overstock and Akava's Essential Apparel program. All prospered from setting this target goal for affiliates to judge & improve their own performance. As their programs adopted sleezy affiliates and BHO Dupers the discontinued the practice as if it was embarassing to publish their affiliate showcases converted at three times worse rates then their actual sites general traffic.

Basically they attracted worthless cookie tricksters, e-mail spammers, SE feed doorway page spammers whacking their loyal value-add affiliates tracking efforts.

Joey,

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=fr...79&f=456601789

The TigerDirect Forum, they have accomplished some of the RECORD WORST nonsense in the history of affiliate marketing. There Sister Company piped in to take over the bad TigerDirect low and behold just the other month they got kicked and we are all forced to go back to TigerDirect.

Not in this lifetime, TigerDirect is nothing more than a thief.

With the Search option not working at ABW I cannot find the link to the article that was, I think in Time Magazine.

Summary of the story, 1800flowers was bragging about utilizing programs such as WhenU and the like. Bragging about how they increased there profitable blah blah blah.

The article was shocking as 1800flowers knows exactly what they are allowing with programs such as WhenU and there cookie overwriting tactics.

If and when the search function works again I will try and find that article.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    http://www.magiccabin.com/magiccabin/security/index.asp

"How we use the information we collect about you?

We use information we collect from you to process your orders, to provide an enhanced and more personalized shopping experience and to inform you of offers and discounts from MagicCabin, or other sites and companies owned by our parent company, 1800Flowers.com, including Plow & Hearth and HearthSong. In addition, we periodically make such information, including aggregated information, available to selected third parties including but not limited to, those who trade or rent information for direct marketing purposes."

No thanks.

Affiliate Manager
    "How we use the information we collect about you? (continued)

...MagicCabin does not make your email addresses available to third parties (except for our parent company 1800Flowers.com and its subsidiaries and subcontractors or agencies acting on our behalf in compliance with this Privacy Policy or any Successor (see Below)), although we may do so in the future. If we do, we will first amend this policy. If you would like us to email you a notice when our Privacy Policy or Terms of Use change, please follow the instructions below. You may instruct us not to share information with third parties by following the instructions provided below. A Successor to our business is not to be considered to be a third party for these purposes (see below).

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Other subsidiaries:

thepopcornfactory.com
    greatfood.com

Stock market fact sheet (PDF) http://www.researchmag.com/articles/pdf/fs_flws.pdf

Leveragable Assets: "Growing customer database 10+ million"

SEC filing:

http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/edgar_c...03-000089.html

"The Company's Online Affiliate Program. In addition to securing alliances with frequently visited Web sites, the Company developed an affiliate network that has grown to approximately 40,000 Web sites operated by third parties. Affiliates may join this program through the Company's Web site and their participation may be terminated by them or by the Company at any time. These Web sites earn commissions on purchases made by customers referred from their sites to the Company's Web site. The affiliates include such Web sites as Looksmart.com, IGive.com, MyPoints.com, BizRate.com, ATT.net, Ebates.com and SchoolPop.com."

Affiliate Manager
    Is your thesis we share too much information inside of our company?

Joey,

Are you claiming to have ZERO knowledge concerning these parasitic cookie-overwriting companies?

The affiliates include such Web sites as Looksmart.com, IGive.com, MyPoints.com, BizRate.com, ATT.net, Ebates.com and SchoolPop.com."

Affiliate Manager
    I'm not claiming to have ZERO, but I will claim that I do not have all that I would like. I understand the concept and have done a lot of research recently (a lot taking place on this site), but I would like to see the articles you reference about 18F and ect. Have a good one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast