Anyone else get this load of rubbish???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It has recently come to our attention that several affiliates are using search terms trademarked to our company to drive traffic to the ParagonGifts.com site through search engines.

We must insist that this practice stop immediately. While we greatly appreciate the work done by all of our affiliates, we have worked for many years to build the Paragon Gifts brand and cannot allow others to capitalize on our hard work and investment.

Trademarked terms include Paragon Gifts, Paragon, The Paragon, ParagonGifts.com, www.ParagonGifts.com and any variations of the aforementioned terms.

Any affiliate found to be using trademarked terms to drive traffic through search engines to our site, whether directly (which is not allowed anyway as per Linkshare's agreement with you) or through links on your own sites as of Monday, April 5th will be removed immediately from our affiliate program. Being added back into our program will be solely at our discretion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can understand not competing via PPC, but to not use their name???? C'mon! What should we tell out visitors? "Click here and go to the mystery site?"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Merchant recommendations and pre-sell spin using their URL or brand on your own sites pages cannot be restricted by any merchants. (at least those seeking any referral traffic). If the SE bots pick this up it should be fair game.

Now we all know that most affiliates say the hell with all that value-add crap and just spam the PPCSE's and the SE bots with their cookie setting crap. Some go so far as to spoof the merchants URL and Brand name in the PPCSE link. Hidden cookie stuffing tricks is the poorman's BHO, and thousands of affiliates do this for hundreds of merchants fro crap domain doorway pages with tiny popups/unders.

Any affiliate who gets challenged by a merchant should be able to show the AM their domain promotional links and pull any trademark keywords upon notice.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

i had a murchant send the same type email to me and i droped thier but and had all links removed with-in an hour.

then still seo for thier term and promote a competitor. I can be an @ss too!

they want all the money and not have to do SEO .

i don't do any ppc campains.

ABW Ambassador
    if someone has trademarked their name, then why should't they ask for you not to bid on their name??

i think its pretty silly not to realise that!
    they are the company who have workded hard to get what they have, they deliver, sort out the customers etc, pay out for all their business needs!. basically we work for them!!!

all we do, is sit on our asses, working on our computers - cushy life!

i think some affiliates think they own the whole internet! and have the right to put down merchants when they stick to their rights!!

Tamalyn,
    I agree that an affiliate shouldn't bid on trademarks...or at very least follow the merchant's bidding policies if they allow it.

The point of the thread is that Paragon Gifts doesn't want to see their trademarked name in search engines. How are we supposed to build pages that lead visitors to the merchant if we can't use their name on our pages? Banners alone are not enough to entice most visitors to go that extra click.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tamalyn:
    if someone has trademarked their name, then why should't they ask for you not to bid on their name??

i think its pretty silly not to realise that!
    they are the company who have workded hard to get what they have, they deliver, sort out the customers etc, pay out for all their business needs!. basically we work for them!!!

all we do, is sit on our asses, working on our computers - cushy life!

i think some affiliates think they own the whole internet! and have the right to put down merchants when they stick to their rights!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't think we are talking about ppc, they did not mention ppc the stated "Search Term" which means to me if you come up on a search results "FREE". I agree with not competing on ppc.

However, i think it is a misstake to restrict affiliates on ppc terms also. Think about it, if someone types "Paragon Gifts" and on the ppc you see ParagonGifts.com and below them you see other murchants selling the same type products. Now i would much rather as a murchant see 10 or so affiliates of my own competing with me and still see some of the money, Rather than a competitor getting all the money.

Just to give everyone an update after giving the AM my...ummmm...opinion:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As far as regularly indexed pages that are displayed in search engines, there is no problem with using our terms - my apologies if that's what I conveyed in my original email.

What we've found is that people are paying for search inclusions through Overture and other search engine keyword bidding programs, thereby collecting traffic based on our trademarked terms. This is the only practice with which we have a problem.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you're making a ton of money with them, drop them. I went through the same thing with EBGames. They were pissed off because my site got the #2 spot on Google for their name, beating all of their other locations/sites besides ebgames.com. It wasn't my intention to beat out my merchant, I'm just better at SEO than they are. If a merchant would tell me not to use their name on my site, I'd say bye-bye. Unless you run a mystery shopping site or have a page full of banners it would be quite difficult not to mention the merchant. What's the point if we can't promote our merchants?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    well i personally never use any merchants name in my title tags or any there metea tags,

cause I am just that kind of person!

I have ethics!!!
    I cannot see the point of unfairly gaining traffic from someone else trademarked name!

It would annoy me, if someone put the name of my site in their title tags and gained traffic from it, and i am sure none of you would like it you saw someone using your names!

cannot blame the merhants really!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread