Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the past 6months to a year I have sold almost $40,000 worth of goods at ebgames. Then I get an e-mail saying I have been dropped.

I send a reply and get this:
    "EBgames has decided not to use Discount or Coupon sites in the EBgames
    Affiliate program. "

I guess I just need to vent. Those commisions really made a difference. I guess I am out of luck?

AlwaysLearning,

Check out http://videogamedeals.com/ member Labrocca runs it on SaS.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    If they run coupons, how come they don't want coupon sites?

Least it wasn't just me. They terminated me a couple weeks ago for beating their pants off with the search engines. Now I will beat their pants off AND direct those sales to their competitors. It seems they are probably in hot water with upper management and this is their way of showing that they actually do something-stupid decisions but they can show activity. At least until sales figures drop and they realize their actions are lining the pockets of their competitors.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I know of a couple (at least) coupon sites that are running unique coupons that ebgames created specifically for the affiliate (and not, it is not us) so I fail to see how this can be at all acurate. If they can create affiliate exclusive coupons that are current then how can they give you the boot for being a coupon / discount site?

I would guess that those coupon sites generating "significant" sales volumes are, shall we say, overlooked.

To be fair, though we were rejected when trying to join their program some time ago for having some coupons on our site...

Why should a merchant pay an affiliate for using thier trade name in search engines? This is search traffic that would be the merchants traffic in the first place.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    TradeName+coupon=automatic SE spam food. TradeName without coupon = merchants own site in the SERPs. Seems like a simple solution for sensitive Trademark/Brand merchants to take their incent advertising inhouse and only send coupons to their existing customer base.

EbGames wants to be the typical Ad Whore operation, yet yells foul when the other Ad Whores outplay them in the SERPs...

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Absolutely! They give affiliates ebgames coupons to promote, then they dump affiliates for promoting ebgames coupons.

For too many AMs, they seem to think their only job is to give out coupons. Why don't they try getting affiliates to promote something else? I guess issuing a coupon is easier.

EBgames does not give out coupons to the affiliate sites. The afifliates harvest the coupons codes from the EBgames web site.
    Last year we did give out a few custom coupons. The custom coupon codes did not do well at all.

ABW Ambassador
    ebgames...let me tell you for a fact, absolutely, you DO issue coupons, unique coupons for affiliates. I am looking at an affiliate site that has two in fact that are current and are part of the name of that site, so they are NOT harvested from ebgames.com directly.

I don't know if you are new to ebgames.com or just have no clue what goes on within the affiliate department but your information is completely inaccurate and it might serve you to be careful how you address your affiliate base in this forum, especially when it comes to being accurate.

The search engine issue is an entirely other issue altogether, which has nothing to do with the OP and his comment. Honestly, if this is going to be discussed, ebgames does stand to loose some creative advantage that affiliate partners can provide in search engine placements. Many times, an affiliate can be more effective with their creative approach to marketing specific games or categories that ebgames.com either cannot do themselves or is not doing because of the VAST variety of games they carry. It is like cutting off a huge potential pipeline to say absolutely no search engine listings.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think ebgames is the actual AM, they do offer coupons, i think it's some disgruntled affiliate. In the ebgames creative

Preowned games 25% off. Coupon code: AFF25 (Maximum Discount $50.00.)

"EBgames does not give out coupons to the affiliate sites. The afifliates harvest the coupons codes from the EBgames web site. "

See you just lied, you offer it to your affiliates through the creative. I don't think this person is the ebgames AM.

ABW Ambassador
    What ebgames said sounded good to me. (No coupons and they dump the guys promoting coupons that do not exist.) Now I don't know.

Anyways, if they get a decent commission and stop giving private coupon codes I might sign up.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ...it's probably Charlie in the backroom typing away baiting the couponers...and me!

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    lol, Ebgames does have coupons, Charlie just got out of his cage again. Coupons are available in the creative.

I work in lounge pants

Trust,

I don't know if it's the AM but it is definately someone at ebgames.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Funny thing is that I never posted any coupons on my site. I just have a couple of very good customers that use my link.

EDIT: TrustNo1 beat me to it.

"EBgames does not give out coupons to the affiliate sites. The afifliates harvest the coupons codes from the EBgames web site. "

_________

Just a reminder, save 25% off preowned games and DVD's at EBGames.com using the coupon code AFF25.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ebgames:
    Why should a merchant pay an affiliate for using thier trade name in search engines? This is search traffic that would be the merchants traffic in the first place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who said they should? First off, I wasn't "using" their trade name in search engines. I use all of my merchant's names on my sites. I didn't spam any SE with their trademark, was in compliance in EBGames own standards, and wasn't bidding on their trade names.

Second, if they didn't like it then a polite email stating this with a request to rectify would have been in order. NOT terminating a money making affiliate for doing too well. Sorry, that's just plain stupid

The impression I got was they suck at SEO and to correct it they take it out on affiliates. There were numerous ways to handle this and terminating the affiliate was the absolute worst way. An affiliate who was with them for years and had one site dedicated to them.

And they had the nerve to say "you can reapply". Talk about thick headed.

ABW Ambassador
    If they give you a coupon, that means they want you to sell it. Right?

I can understand if they don't want you bidding on their trademark, but not for aggressively and ethically selling the coupon they gave you.

It sounds like they are confused about what they want out of affiliate program at ebgames.

Either be a coupon merchant or not, but make up your mind.

This message board has been very eye opening. It is pointless to continue. You see things your way and i see things from the merchants side. We will probalby never see eye to eye.

ABW Ambassador
    What's eye opening is you don't have a clue, you contradict your own program.

"EBgames does not give out coupons to the affiliate sites."

Yet you have coupons in the creative for affiliates to use:

Preowned games 25% off. Coupon code: AFF25 (Maximum Discount $50.00.)

AFF25 the AFF probabbly standing for affiliate.

Explain that.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know much about this area as I've never promoted ebgames (thought I read that their cookies are only for that session, and I don't have the traffic for such a small cookie length). But why not just promote the other guys? I mean, if you are bringing in 40 grand in sales in six months for them and they can you. Sheesh, kinda nuts. Maybe I need to become a game merchant.

Unfortunetly, I looked through the orders that my customer(s) were placing and the other merchants don't have most of the games, and when they do they can't compete with ebgames' prices on those paticular games.

ABW Ambassador
    I just happen to have the AM's email address, so I shall contact that person and point this thread out to them...and perhaps, they will take a noted interest and be refreshingly honest as opposed to the "ebgames" imposter here on this board.

Maybe they can track down this errant employee and give them a dose of honesty and us some straight answers

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    LOL, it's probably the OWNER!

He probably hasn't bothered looking at what creatives are available, either. Someone on his staff probably did it and he either didn't know it was there, or didn't listen to the staff member when he was told about it.

It wouldn't be the first time that the owner was the most clueless guy on the merchant's end.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast