I had someone tell me that they wanted to buy something from my site but when they clicked on the link, they got a "page cannot be displayed" error message. This was a linkshare link, why would they get this message. When I checked the link, I could open the page just fine. Is this a case of Norton blocking it or something like that?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Epic,

I suspect it was something like the merchant site was down temporarily when he clicked. Norton from what I have seen does not block pages this way. Norton would have stripped out the link so he could not see or click on it. There just would have been a blank space.

See examples here:
    http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.co...s-revenue.html

If they have Kazaalite on their system they will have 'acquired' a new hosts file which redirects any domains Kazaalite considers a rival (ie anything likely to try and sell you something) to the I.P. loopback address 127.0.0.1.

Nice.

Renaming the hosts file and rebooting should resolve it (don't think this causes any problems and it can always be named back to 'hosts' if any problems arise.)

Maybe someone else has a better fix for this?

From the sound of it, he's tried the page several times and he still can't get it to open. I tried it and it worked just fine. He says he doesn't have Norton and he ran spybot to look for any spywear and it didn't find anything. That might be an indicator that something is wrong because spybot thinks just about every cookie is a parasite so if it didn't find any, maybe his computer is set on high security and not allowing cookies?

Ask him to look in his hosts file for any reference to linkshare.

He can search on C:\ for 'hosts' then open it in notepad.

thanks for all the help. It was the Host file. He renamed it and rebooted then was able to open the page. Thank goodness he was persistant, most people would have moved on. Now lets see if I get credit for the sale.

Glad it worked.

You should get credited with the sale - the hosts file only prevented any links to the linkshare domain from opening - it can't hijack cookies or anything like that.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread