The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Sorta goes with my previous post...

Anyone getting a lot of telephone calls from Linkshare Affiliate Development Reps?

I never return those calls. Does anyone? What do they want? I think they're just telemarketing me.

As a merchant, they are not telemarketing you. I get calls and emails from them all the time and all they are doing is trying to "sell" merchants or affiliates to the opposite party and I mean it in a good way. I get emails from the ADT's saying this affiliate wants this and they will do this if you can do this, etc. It's a medium to get better placement for the merchant and better commissions for the affiliates. At least this has been my take on it so far.

My answer to you Billy,

Either your in business to generate sales through "Partnerships" or your not. Please make room for others if you have no desire to be a professional businessman.

Poopie

ABW Ambassador
    Poopie,

Where do you get off insinuating that someone else is not professional? By the tone of your response, you're the one that's not professional.

I don't mind the calls, but I don't want them wasting my time. If I'm not interested, the conversation should end. No pressure, no matter however light.

What I hate is when they leave a message for you to call back and it is not a 1-800 number. Needless to say, they never hear from me again.

Frankly, I'd prefer an email with a brief description and a 1-800 number to call if I want.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

bob95603
    Thanks for sticking up for me! But I learned on my FIRST day at ABW to develop a thick skin! Hec a simple question like "What does BTW and LOL mean in all the posts" can generate 500 child-like responses. If you have to read thru 499 useless responses to get an answer, so be it. It's better than no answer!!

7-days
    That's exactly the way I feel. If the offer was so good, put it in writing, post it somewhere. And don't have me call long distance to NY for a sales call!

And on a vengeful note - I look at it like Hey, I've emailed Linkshare 1000 times over the years and never got a response. (Read my post somewhere where I contacted the BBB several times JUST to GET a response - and their official answer was they have server problems and don't always get their emails). If and when they ever respond to ME I'll respond to them!!

ABW Ambassador
    It might be a good idea for Linkshare to invest in a toll free number for affiliate development...I have to agree there.

I agree with Ron. LinkShare should save itself some money, kill the phone marketing, and send out an E-Mail with whatever offer they're promoting. Provide a 1-800 number and a person to contact if interested.

If there's no interest, LS is only out the cost of sending an E-Mail, and the affiliate can just hit delete and be done with it.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mind the development team, remember they are there as your resource too.

ABW Ambassador
    i love those LS calls and emails. they make you feel wanted.

heck, they're better than emails rejecting you or terminating you.

besides, we're supposed to benefit from them.
    i therefore disagree to the insinuation that they are telemarketing.

if you don't want the calls, then it means you don't want to earn money.

A telemarketer is someone who:

1. You don't know

2. Places an UNSOLICITED call - keyword being unsolicited

3. Is not a friend, family, aquaintence, or someone you've had a past business experience with - or anyone you've ever heard of

4. Who you did not voluntarily give your phone number to (they obtained it from a list - in this case the mandatory phone number you provide to join Linkshare)

5. Who places an UNSOLICITED call when it's convenient to them (don't care if it's dinner time, if there's a time zone difference, if you're in the middle of something that's the most important thing planned this month)

6. Has only ONE purpose for the call - to sell you on something - a product or service - that, according to sales 101, is something until a minute ago you didn't know you needed or wanted. It's called a sales pitch. Could be scripted, could be ad-libbed, but it's a sales pitch.

7. Who personally benefits, makes a profit or commission by you saying YES to whatever his offer is.

8. Who, despite being told not interested, don't call again, continues to call.

Funny - that also describes a Linkshare Affiliate Development Rep!

How do I know this?

For nine years I was a professional telemarketer. I got more purchasing agents fired than I care to remember. In telmarketing circles, I was a known entity. Actually had to go by "Dave Johnson" for a couple years. Had to move a lot - skipping out on rent of course. Had to pay "street people" to put my utilities in their name. Family stopped talking to me when government people would call them asking if they knew where I was!!

I remember my divorce judge saying something like "While the court acknowledges that you are engaged in a business that operates in the gray area of the law (her words), as it is the only means you'll have to support your ex, you are hereby ordered to continue the enterprise, and you can not sell it, close it, or bankrupt it"

So feel free to call me a bad affiliate marketer. Or I don't know squat about html. But I'm pretty sure I can smell a telemarker at 500 paces!!

ABW Ambassador
    I've enjoyed my relationships with various LS account managers and affiliate managers. EVERY ONE of my email requests has been answered within 24 hours, usually a lot sooner.

I get email requests from folks to look at their programs, for higher commissions rates etc. I have enjoyed these interactions and have found them to be increasingly profitable. I have also learned a great deal from these people, who seem eager to help.

Billy Kay I honestly don't understand your tone or what the real problem is. So you were an agressive telemarketer. Seems you're working through issues of some sort. Guilt for interrupting my dinner so many times perhaps?

Lily

Hi AL,

What a "sweet" post!

We've obviously had different experiences with Linkshare.

And I'm glad you're having good ones - really!

Few days back, I - and it looks like a lot of other people - received a private offer from Fujitsu.

I never applied to them (they're computers - I sell personalized gifts), yet they were listed in my account manager as one of my merchants.

I forwarded the email to the reply address on the email and the general contact email that LS gives out - asking how they got to be one of my merchants, and as always - no response.

So we just have different experiences. And my posted opinions are gleaned only from my experiences.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Dear ABW Members -

It's great to hear that so many of you here at ABW have been contacted by our Affiliate Development team - who focuses on reaching out to high potential affiliates to foster revenue-generating partnerships. But it's not so great to hear the negative feedback expressed by some. At LinkShare, we strive hard to facilitate mutually beneficial relationships across the network. The Affiliate Development team was uniquely created at LinkShare to help bridge LinkShare affiliates and merchants together. The team works proactively to identify targeted affiliates for specific merchant programs, and to secure special promotions and often higher commissions for these affiliates. Because of the special nature of these opportunities, Affiliate Development team members will typically both email and call the affiliate directly.

We do have a toll free number that we've asked the team members to start using. Remember that not all affiliates are presented with these opportunities. For those who have not yet responded to calls from the Affiliate Development team, we hope that you will take advantage of the next opportunity that you receive, and begin to see value in these services provided by LinkShare. If you have any other suggestions on how the Affiliate Development team can help you, please let us know!

Best,
    Stephen

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> who focuses on reaching out to high potential affiliates <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No phone calls
    Guess I have no potential

"potential" must mean "already making money" - hell, I don't even get email.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I make some there at LS
    Guess not enough.
    I think at one time one merchant had called many many months ago

Wanted me to push their program
    Only thing I was already part of the program

Or maybe my reputation of "my phone manners/politeness" to phone solicitors precedes me and they are afraid!!!

Can someone tell me what criteria Linkshare uses to give you access to a Account manager. I drive about 50000 dollars worth of sales a month to Linkshare.

I like the calls because I stop and think if i need to call or just login to my account and join the merchants offers.Serves me as a kind of reminder.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread