Hi all,

I'm new to this board and also somewhat new to true affiliate marketing. Gave up the recruiting game last year.

I have a few questions...

I'm testing a software progam and yesterday I made a new website using only one Linkshare merchant for it. I used my main website's links for that website.

Maybe I got a little ahead of myself because I only have a few days to test this software, but I put this new site on a few ppc last night to see how it would do.

I've been trying to get to my stats all day at Linkshare and nothing has been updated since 10 am this morning that I know of. It is now 11 pm, so 13 hours later, and not a single impression or click thru or sale recorded. But my ppc are charging me for this advertising because according to them I've had a lot of clicks.

Is this normal to take this long for reports to update? It can't be because I used my other website's links because I should have something showing for that one too and there is nothing new there at all.

Then I read about sub-affiliates. I didn't want to register a new site yet because the domain name will change if I keep the website. I tried to register it anyway just in case it wouldn't record commissions properly or tell me that it's the wrong website and commissions are not payable. I entered it twice and it's still not showing.

Of course stats haven't updated all day, why would the sub-affiliate site?

Do you really need to add sub-affiliate sites if you only have 2 or 3 websites? If so, do you use all the same links for all the sites or are there special links for each one?

Sorry for the length of the post, but I never seem to know when to shut up, or write a condensed post.

Thanks a lot!

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Welcome Catwomen

Most don'tupdate until the morning as you may have already discovered

With adding other sites they do give a sub id code built into links so you can tell which site they come from

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> just in case it wouldn't record commissions properly or tell me that it's the wrong website and commissions are not payable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This should not be a problem. Conceivably a merchant could spot it and object to it, but I've never heard of that ever happening.

Thanks for the replies!

My stats did update in Linkshare. Kind of. Yesterday my clicks for this specific merchant were stuck at 2 all day.

Today it only shows 15 clicks from April 9 to April 10 for that merchant. However, it shows 39 clicks for one ppc alone and that was in about 2 hours the very first night - April 9. That was 2 days ago. I didn't even bother to count how many hits I had from the other ppc because already the stats don't add up with just one.

The clicks from this ppc correspond to the stats for my main website so I have to assume that they are right for this new one too.

I don't know what's going on here and it's starting to cost me a fair bit for these discrepancies. After reading so many posts on this board about parasites and the likes, maybe I'm just getting a little paranoid and I'm overreacting? Or blame it on Easter weekend for slow updates?

I only have a few days to test this software and keep or delete the website after my trial period, so I'm a little impatient to see how it performs and get accurate stats.

Thansk a lot for sharing your knowledge with a "newbie"!

Catwoman

How does Linkshare track hits exactly?

I just checked my stats again and the discrepancies in hits are outrageous!

I wrote the ppc that I check regularly on this website explaining the problem to them since I can't get an answer from Linkshare! They replied about 1/2 hour later (now Linkshare, take notice on GOOD customer service!):

"Many third party tracking programs and Web counters do not take Proxy servers into consideration. Many of them, such as Webtrends, only count an IP address once every half hour. Proxy servers are computers that act as agents for multiple users. The effect of proxy servers is that thousands of truly unique users can all share the same IP address. An example of proxy server traffic is AOL. AOL routes all of its subscribers through a limited number of IP addresses, so any one AOL IP address can map back to tens of thousands of separate AOL users. Therefore, any traffic that that comes through a Proxy Server will only be counted once per half hour."

Could this be the problem with Linkshare? And possibly other Networks as well? I know someone who has the same type of problem with a different network.

I would also like to mention that the website I created was all about Overstock. After reading that folder, one thread in particular, I was absolutely disgusted! I stopped all advertising for it. Needless to say that I will not keep the website when my free trial expires with the software company.

Man oh man... when you think you're finally getting somewhere!

Catwoman

Just when you think you've heard it all! We've had a lot of trouble lately with late reporting, missing data, etc., but this takes the cake. We affiliate marketers must be gluttons for punishment! Perhaps it's time we got together and agreed to stop marketing for a week or two - that would give the networks something to think about and maybe shake them into improving their services!

I"M IN!! re: Affiliate Boycotting!!

I belong to several Affiliate Programs, perhaps only ONE is much better than LinkShare.
    X- Updates are not done in Real Time
    X- You must earn $450M before they issue payment.... THEN it takes 6 months for them to do that!
    X- Links/Banners are always ugly and the wrong size.... never mind that a good percentage of the time they don't even work!!!! [lots of trust we have in their link-tracking system, eh?]
    X- I was promoting a banner that said "Enter ti Win Out Monthly Drawing of $200!" Visitors were emailing me disgruntled... the banner brought them to a page to buy books.
    X= AND TODAY!!! The reason I joined [fed up and needing to venTT] - I visited a "Merchant" site, which is a freebie-site. 6 out of 6 links "Page Not Found" several offers were no longer free or even available.,,.

I feel I am wasting my time.... "charity work"!?!?!

So, when every anyone is ready to have a BoyCoy DAY DOT-COM!!! eMail me!

ABW Ambassador
    Let me know ahead of time when you're going to boycott and the merchants you'll be boycotting. I'll be sure to pick up the slack and promote them even harder

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread