Is this allowed in linkshare? I keep running across sites that are popping up windows and cookie setting when customers are not clicking through to merchants shop. In my opinion this is highly unethical, but is it permitted?

YES AND NO...

Yes, if you are a parasite ad whore....

No, if you are a honest affiliate..

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Not on programs managed by WSO, if you spot anyone doing it drop me a mail.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I can testify that Chris will boot the hidden cookie stuffers upon investigating them. Some AM's, regardless of network gag orders, actively participated in the heated cookie stuffer debates here at ABW. Some like Chris actually changed their TOS to cut out any gray areas regarding setting cookies with no physical clicks.

The networks collectively sayed mum on the subject knowing it raised the heat on their professional hidden cookie stuffer BHO partners. It's called the poorman's BHO trick employed by those who still are SE and e-mail spammers thinking they can hide amongst 1 million fellow affiliates.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    That reminds me I got one from Qball to follow up on, Sorry Q been busy trying to do nothing over new year, failed miserably

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I have actually been in contact with Sarah at LinkShare about this and she has told me it is not allowed.

I gave her an example like this (in a nutshell, my email to her was longer but this will give you the idea):

If you were at a site, and without any action from you, a window with the merchants site in it popped up, would that be allowed? Or if you were on a website, and you clicked on a link named Mondera for example, and that link goes to another page on the website you are at (not the merchants site), and once there a window pops up all on its own without any action from you and in that window was the merchants site - would that be allowed?

Her reply was:

"As described the action would be violative of our membership agreement, and we will take action if, based on our investigation, we confirm that any LinkShare Merchants are affected by this."

So it is not allowed by anyone using Linkshare links to autopop up a merchant site like that. If the link was labeled Mondera and the url of that link was the link TO Mondera, then it would be fine. Not the hidden auto pop up window crap.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    I send Linkshare an email a while back telling them I would be happy to supply them with a list of sites and urls found to be auto-setting cookies and asked how they would proceed with any data I provided.

I never got a response! The double talk from networks "protecting our interests" never ceases to amaze me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happypoon:
    I send Linkshare an email a while back telling them I would be happy to supply them with a list of sites and urls found to be auto-setting cookies and asked how they would proceed with any data I provided.

I never got a response! The double talk from networks "protecting our interests" never ceases to amaze me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your PM's.
    ~Michelle

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All -

Based on feedback we have received from affiliates and our own investigation, LinkShare has created a Return Day Benefit Policy. This policy outlines basic rules relating to Return Days that apply to your participation in all LinkShare affiliate marketing programs. You can access this policy in the Affiliate Resource Center, accessible via a link on the home page of your LinkShare affiliate account. Essentially, in order for you to benefit from the Return Days offered by a merchant, you must have actually delivered the user to the merchant's site. Please review the policy for more details.

Sarah

ABW Ambassador
    So the way i read it, LinkShare will terminate affiliates that do this:

"By way of example, but certainly not limitation, if you:

Program your site to open a 1x1 pixel of the merchant's site or webpage without actually making the merchant's site or page visible to the user then you have not delivered the user.
    We consider these kinds of business practices to be deceptive practices. Please be advised that LinkShare takes the integrity of its Network very seriously and will terminate you from participation in the LinkShare Network if you are found by us to be gaming or trying to beat the system."

Maybe LinkShare should send out an email to affiliates so those that do this are aware and those that don't comply can start getting terminated. Or have something they need to check off when affiliates sign in about this and then terminate if they don't follow the rules. I would like to see this actually enforced.

I have a bit of a problem with part of what LinkShare says is ok.

"Direct Link Within Affiliate Site / Indirect Link to Merchant Site - Displaying the merchant's advertising link on your site such that when a user clicks on that link, he or she is redirected to another page on your site devoted to the merchant and, at the same time, a fully visible window displaying the relevant page of the merchant's site opens over or under your webpage."

and

"Search Link to Affiliate Site / Indirect Link to Merchant Site - Acquiring search placement on third party search engines on behalf of a specific merchant such that when a user clicks on your listing in the search results, the user is redirected to a page on your site devoted to that merchant or the merchant's products and, at the same time, a full sized window displaying the merchant's relevant page pops over or under the window containing your page. In this example, the user's search query must include some specific reference to the merchant, like the merchant's name or its products, as opposed to generic search terms."

That is all and good IF the person gets to the page 'devoted to the merchant' by clicking on another link on said site as you mentioned above. BUT, many of the 'devoted pages' or direct links in the search engines, so when someone clicks on that link, the merchant window is also popping up, therefore setting a cookie. Just because the user wants to look at the offers on the devoted merchant page doesn't mean they want to go the merchant site.

Quite simply, the user should have to perform a definative action by clicking on a link to the merchants site on the 'devoted to the merchant' page.

The webmaster should just place a link on the page that says "Click Here To Take Advantage of These Offers" or "Click Here To Vistit XYZ Merchant". If they want to make that link open in a new window upon a click by the user then that is fine and fair.
    ~Michelle

So, what AHUGEDEAL.COM is doing is totally WRONG, and they should be terminated for doing so:

http://www.ahugedeal.com

They're doing it for every merchants, and most of LS merchants. They have been warned before, on ABW and by some merchants.

From what I understand, Linkshare is saying it is ok what some of those sites are doing. As long as the merchant site is visible and not hidden in a 1x1 pixel - there is nothing wrong with popping up a merchant site as long as the visitor on your site clicked on a link to view the merchants coupons/offers on your site.

So according to Linkshare, what ahugedeal is doing is ok.

I still think that a cookie should not be set unless someone clicks on a direct link to the merchant with the intention of going to the merchant site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    I still think that a cookie should not be set unless someone clicks on a direct link to the merchant with the intention of going to the merchant site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree Connie.

I think Linkshare has just made a mistake by allowing what they are in my post above.

Before, the critera has always been that a visitor had to perform a direct action to invoke the merchants site.

But now with this new wording, the line in the sand has been moved towards the 'dark side' and forcing a cookie on a visitor without a definative action is ok.

I say bull! I really hope they rethink this aspect of the whole thing.
    ~Michelle

They might just as well say that all return days are 0. By allowing this, they basically voided them.
    It will all depend on the last window popped that set the cookie whether someone intended to go to the merchant at the time or not.
    You are now gonna see this on every site out there.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread