The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I rec'd a "Private Offer" thru Linkshare, which we all know affiliates aren't allowed to reveal. The exact words are:

"Private programs represent a special relationship that our member merchants wish to develop with certain affiliate sites. Since not all members of LinkShare can see or participate in this program, [this merchant] has selected you with the understanding that you will not disclose to other affiliates or merchants the proposed terms of the agreement."

The above merchant made public the terms of my private offer to countless thousands of affiliates - even posted it here at ABW.

I filed a complaint with Linkshare. Their reply this morning is below:

"Private offers are special relationships that some merchants choose to have with one or more of their affiliates. We ask that affiliates not share private offer information with other affiliates or merchants. However, private offers are created and distributed by the merchant. If the merchant wishes to disclose and distribute private offers to one, ten, a hundred, or even all their affiliates, it's really up to the merchant."

Am I reading this wrong, or does it say that while affiliates are not permitted to tell anyone about their private offers, merchants are free to tell anyone and everyone about my private offer?

Boy! I hope I'm misreading this!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Kay:
    Boy! I hope I'm misreading this! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are reading it correctly.

It's not your offer, it's an offer from the merchant to you. If the merchant wishes to extend his (private) offer to the public, who am I/are you (affiliate) to question it.

ABW Ambassador
    "Boy! I hope I'm misreading this!"

No, you are reading it correctly. Why would you be the only to receive the private offer?

Why file a complaint? The merchant can offer the private offer to anyone and everyone, it is their offer

Sounds like the merchant doesn't know the difference between a private offer and special promotions for affiliates.

If the merchant sent this offer to all of its affiliates and even posted it here, then it can not be considered a private offer but more like a promotion of some kind.

They didn't seek you personally for this, it was offered to everyone who wanted it. So it's not private. The merchant screwed up. If it had only been offered through email to all affiliates, then you could say it was a private offer to affiliates. But if it's made public on a discussion board, it's no longer private. Anyone has access to the information.

Just my thoughts, of course...

Catwoman

My complaint to Linkshare was that he made public MY private offer - mentioned me by name - stated it was just for me.

My complaint was not that he's making similar/identical offers to other affiliates.

So I'm the only one who doesn't want merchants to reveal what my private commissions are?

ABW Ambassador
    Those private offers are always floating around. I get private offers from merchants that I have never promoted. I also get them for an account that I haven't used since I first started back in 2002.

Do you really think that those private offers are only for you?

Where did it state that it was just for you?

That's a whole different story then.

I don't know where that offer was posted, but if you were mentioned by name with all the details of YOUR private offer posted on the board, then it's not right.

I would contact the merchant and discuss this with them. Sounds by the reply Linkshare sent you that they took it the same way we all did here.

Catwoman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...the offer was 10% commission compared to 4% for everyone else... AGAIN, this was only a offer specifically to you because I saw it as a good fit and wanted to reward your efforts for your site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Julian - no I don't think private offers are just for me. I do NOT want merchants revealing to others what they pay me. That's why it is called a PRIVATE offer.

That is why when you log into your account manager for MerchantA, the only commission rate you see is the standard 4% (or whatever). If it was PUBLIC, then you'd see YOU'RE 4% - and the 35% that other affiliates make thru a PRIVATE offer.

ABW Ambassador
    While I understand that you have a problem with the way the Outdoor Superstore AM revealed your private offer on this forum, I really think you should just forget about it and not promote them.

Haven't you got anything better to do?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haven't you got anything better to do? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, my plate is quite full. And one of the things on my plate is insuring rouge AMs don't make public anything that's supposed to be private.

That said, Julian, since you state you get private offers all the time and that there's nothing wrong with revealing these terms in public...

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is...

Send me the names of 10 merchants you're participating in private offers with, I'll contact the merchants, and tell them Julian says it's ok to post his private offer details here on ABW.

If you're not willing to do that, then I'll know you're all talk.

If we spent time really reading all the agreements we oked, I'm sure we'd be in for many surprises.

Like exclusivity. I remember the old Expedia agreement saying we could be fined for showing a competitor.

Hell, who knows if they even changed it.

ABW Ambassador
    Do you really think that any of those private offers are just for me?
    Most of the private offers are just to kick start affiliates.

"private offers" is just one of the many jargon terms rest in LS account interface.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread