I am trying to collect on old commissions earned via Linkshare from 2000 - 2002. Many companies were eliminated from the Linkshare programs, but never paid commissions whish were earned.

Some of the companies ar big names like Brooks Bros and CVS. Many others are still operating retail sites, like Jewelry Spotlight, Music Yo and AllBooks4Less.

Has anyone tried to collect and had any success? Do you have any suggestions for initiating collection? Any help from Linkshare?

I also wonder if these past due debts can be submitted or sold to a collection agency.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think if you have accurate records a collection agency might take them all. Also, if you contact the merchants directly, you might have success with *some* of them. I have had about a dozen pay me in the last year who 'didn't realize' I was owed money. I think there is so much changeover sometimes, this could actually happen. But not all of the time.. ha ha!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Scrappy you probably have more chance of falling pregnant than getting the money . Then again stranger things have happened I guess - good luck, you're probably going to need it.

Brooks Bros paid off their balance to me, when they left. Contact them, most likely they'll send you a check, or they already paid it to Linkshare.

marthastewart/etc. paid me after I complained to LS but Novica.com still owes me a little.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

How about companies like Microwarehouse, LensExpress and such?

Linkshare was generally no help in these matters.

Besides allowing the merchants to get months behind in commissions, and allowing this to be unclear due to lost checks and no direct deposit, they made it difficult to track down deadbeat merchants.

They responded to maybe 1 of every 4 customer service e-mails sent in about unpaid commissions. Once it took me 4 months to get the contact info for a merchant that left owing me $2k. Another, they never got me contact info.

Considering that part of Linkshare's job is to get the affiliate paid, yeah, I think they SUCK in this area. What's new?

mikeyjake, it's funny you say that. I recently contacted Linkshare about a merchant that hasn't paid for many months to ask why. They recommended only partnering with merchants who have the “red star” next to their name, saying these merchants typically pay within 30 days of the end of a month. So I looked up the lame merchant and turns out they have a “red star” next to them!

Sometimes I don’t even think the LS rep’s read our entire emails.
    "Merchant with no cookie get no clicky"

I've found that Linkshare is no help with any merchant who has been dropped from their program. I have been burned many times in the past by promoting a company, then having them leave Linkshare (or another) without paying commissions.

I am looking into sending my outstanding commissions to a collection agency. I've never worked with one, so I don't really know all I am getting into - I just want the money that's due to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They recommended only partnering with merchants who have the “red star” next to their name, saying these merchants typically pay within 30 days of the end of a month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it funny how you get EXTRA CREDIT for SOMETIMES paying on time?

You get a bonus for ALMOST doing what you're contractually obliged to do?

Ridiculous.

I think this clearly shows whose side Linkshare is on. When being a "good" merchant means you can pay months late and screw affiliates, it is clear that Linkshare is not looking out for us.

Oh yeah, lookie here.

Buy.com is listed as one of those red-star "premium" merchants.

And those guys have been THREE MONTHS late on payments this year.

Man, I hate to think how much affiliate screwing you can do being a "regular" merchant.

Is Linkshare just lying to affiliates?

One of the ones who owed me the most was More.com. The frustrating thing was that they just completely disappeared. No bankruptcy notice. Nothing. They just dropped off the face of the planet.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread