Hello all,
    I'm curious what the general consensus is on a merchant providing a greatly increased payout in return for an affiliate promoting solely that merchant's site within that category.

For instance, would you accept a doubling in your commission from Flower-Seller A, if they required that they were your only Flower-Selling Merchant?

Do you think the flower sales would just go to merchant A and you'd be getting paid double? Or do you think the flower sales from merchants B and C would just disappear?

I'm interested in everybody's thoughts!

I would never accept an exclusivity clause, no matter how high the commissions were.

If a merchant wants to get better exposure with me, they need to stay competitive. The more competitive they are, both in terms of commissions and promotability, the more they'll be promoted. Exclusivity clauses are just a way for merchants to keep that edge without having to stay competitive. They're very rare in affiliate relationships and are generally frowned upon by affiliates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the insightful link and feedback.
    Would the same hold true is Merchant A was offering more than double the commissions of Merchants B and C? (for instance)

Could that take care of the "stay competitive" aspect? Or is it also simply the principle? What if it was a short term test to see how both parties liked it?

Ditto, what Michael said...

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Seems to be consensus
    Thanks for your input!

ABW Ambassador
    Well it depends on the type of site an affiliate has. Michael has a site that he needs to have more than 1 pet merchant to stay competitive. I have a shopping site where i couldn't do such an offer. But for others it could be a great deal. Have it as an option with your program and i'm sure you will have some takers.

ABW Ambassador
    zZounds pays a substantially higher bonus if you are exclusive with their program. It is strictly voluntary and I had no problem with kicking the dogs off my site to promote them exclusively.

In my opinion, it helps to be known as a well-run, affiliate-friendly program with good products and service before offering incentives based on exclusivity.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    I think it does depend on the category and the particular merchant. If it were a category that had a relatively low amount of competition and we had a good relationship with the merchant I would definitely entertain that possibility.

I love exclusivity merchant clauses...

I create a separate web site then pull traffic from other sites to assist in the new sites growth.

The merchant WOULD have to increase the commission to make it worth it.

http and a telephoto
    I guess the answer is maybe, at first it was a resounding no. If I were to do what SandraR suggests and make a separate web site, I still need to be able to advertise that site along side of the other merchants I promote.

Also, it would depend on if the merchant is parasite free, I send traffic to your implied program (from your user name) and the traffic stopped converting several months ago.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks guys (and gal
    If anyone would like to test June out and promote only our site as a pet pharmacy (of course you still get to promote petsmart, petco, etc.) please email me and we can discuss terms!
    Cheers,
    Alex
    alex@1800petmeds.com

PS:
    I always find this board very insightful.
    Haiko deserves all our continued adulation

And hopefully I'll see some of you in New York next month.

Loxly,
    Email me your account info. Let's figure out what happened to your conversions.
    ~Alex

I think it's a short sighted business person that would say, "No, I would never......."

Every situation is different. If Dell computer offered a 50% commission on their computers (will never happen) in exchange for exclusive status on your site, wouldn't you at least think about it? I would hope so!!

"I would never......." doesn't make good business sense.

Ken

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got a single site that's exclusive to one merchant (provided after a very substantial commission rise), but I did NOT promise exclusivity across all of my sites.

I wouldn't lock my entire stable of sites down to one merchant no matter what the commissions! Pretty soon the merchant would be thinking he owned me! I want to keep that Drop Program button nice and accessible. The Drop Program button is kind of like a fire extinguisher: it's not something people want to have to use, but its best to have it within easy reach at all times, just in case.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    Email on the way, I pulled most of the links over the past few months, but it will only take a few minutes to put them back And I do still have banner ads running for your program on several highly targetted sites.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Will the merchant agree not to let other affiliate compete against you?

Didn't think so.

We tend to see a drop-off in the winter months due to the seasonality of our business (quite the opposite of most, I suppose), so that may have been the issue, but I'll take a closer look and see if anything fishy was going on.

I love that banana.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>..but I did NOT promise exclusivity across all of my sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Wouldn't sign up with one who did. I forgot I do have another musical instrument merchant that does require exclusivity (on the site) to be an affiliate. It is only on my classical music site & the only reason I signed up with them is that choices of band & orchestra instrument merchants are slim. They'll be gone in a heartbeat when I have a better choice.

Wayne

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread