ABW Ambassador
    Anyone have any experience with Blue Nile and their program at Linkshare? Good, bad, or ugly...let me have it (ducking)...

I sold 2 big ones this month so far. Not sure how it happened, the sales just showed up and suprised me. Nice suprise.
    Funny, because I have been pushing Mondera more...Sorry Chris..maybe Linkshare screwed up and put my Mondera sales in Blue Nile's account??

ABW Ambassador
    From what I understand, John "the AM" took on the program after the move to Linkshare and he's been very pleasant to deal with on issues I brought to his attention regarding auto cookie setting affiliates in his program.

He has since updated his terms very recently regarding auto cookie setting and will be dealing with those folks which is a good sign IMO .

I did decent with them on Befree given the number of clicks I was sending (jewelry wasn't well positioned for meaningful traffic) but was disappointed in the way the move occured cutting off datafeed affiliates at the knees.

In spite of it all, I'd say give um a try and see what happens.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    John is a great guy and Blue Nile are certainly a company worth promoting...along side Mondera of course

John is also active behind the scenes regarding fair tracking, Symposium this year is going to be interesting

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Wow, I wish every Monday started like this - thanks for all of the kind words

I've been at Blue Nile for about 6 months now, and its certainly been a learning experience so far. As happypoon mentioned, I've been working on getting some things cleaned up, dropping contextual advertisers and proven drive-bys. We recently amended our T&Cs to reiterate LinkShare's own cookie rules and plan on enforcing them.

We're the largest online jeweler and actually the second largest seller of diamonds in the U.S. online or off. People respond well to our brand and shopping experience - I hope you'll consider joining our program and promoting us.

SurveyMan, if you have any specific questions or thoughts, you can always reach me at affiliates@bluenile.com or at 206-336-6725. I'm always open to the ideas and concerns of our partners and appreciate all of the well thought out commentary from everyone -- even Chris

John

Affiliate Manager
    John,

I know exactly what you are going through. I think I've finally gotten a handle on this massive program here at eDiets and all of the contextual advertisers are gone! "Sneaky little buggers, aren't they?"

ABW Ambassador
    "Sneaky little buggers, aren't they?"~ctfarrow

More like money stealing,

Well, I can tell ya.. they won't send you a diamond ring sample so you can use it as a testimonal in your newsletter, I tried my best!

How do Blue Nile & Mondera compare?

Blue Nile
    Looks like BN pays 5%-8% tiered with nothing higher for top affiliates.

Maximum commisionable sales of $12,500. 30 day cookies.

Mondera - 5%-8% + higher for top performers, you get paid out on what you sell even if its a 30k ring, looks like a 90-180 day cookie if I understand the policy correctly.

Bottom line, looks like Mondera provides better terms. Seems that BN probably has the higher profile and the more recognizable brand, at least in the US.

Does BN convert at a rate that much higher than Mondera to take the standard terms and capped commissionable sales over Mondera's longer cookies, no max on commissionable sales, and seemingly higher payout for top performers?

Anybody ever hit the 100k/month top-tier on either one of these programs?

Any insight greatly appreciated!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Might be interesting to see two honest merchants and AM's slugging it out on true conversion ratios. Nice to hear the are incnet against BHO's and those shanks using the poorman's BHO trick...blind cookie stuffing.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Let me throw another option into the hat

UnionDiamond.com : 6%-8.5% + higher for top performers, you get paid out on what you sell even if its a 30k ring and a 90 day cookie.

Naturally no domain targeting, paras or cookie stuffers allowed

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Chris, you haven't added Union Diamond to your auto-sig yet

ABW Ambassador
    I don't promote either of them now but I pulled Mondera for lack of conversions and kept bluenile until they switched from befree to linkshare.

Later I did some testing reagrding auto cookie setting and it was being done rampantly with Mondera which I suspect effected conversions. Even a life time cookie is "for crap" when cookies are being auto set in massive proportions so be careful how much value you put on cookie duration when foul play on them is not specifically disallowed.

I may be wrong but at one point Chris implied cookie setting via popups was OK and I believe the Mondera policy is to "monitor", send cease and desists and then boot if not stopped.

I'm not sure if mondera has changed their TOS like bluenile has but I just ran another test on Modera and out of the top 50 urls returned (from 21 different sites) and 4 of those sites were found to be auto setting cookies.
    The ls pids are:
    ypr0DEYiMXQ
    4yu9Dm%2FpRAU
    JyZS4fWHbPA
    OEu024dtHXs

I did the same test for Blue Nile.

For Blue Nile out of the top 50 urls returned (from 23 different sites) and 5 of those sites were found to be auto setting cookies.
    The ls pids are:
    HAHu6s1Hzp4
    JyZS4fWHbPA
    pJ6C0aIeg6I
    FZOkC4w7rNM (site a)
    FZOkC4w7rNM (site b)

If either John or Chris want supporting evidence, PM me with an email addr I can send data to that allows attachements and I'll give you the urls and cookies created.

Bottom line is you should consider "policy" and "enforcement" as well as the other data you listed and even then that doesn't guarantee success but the more info you have the better decisions you can make on where to spend time promoting merchants. Cookie durations can be complete "smoke and mirrors" in some conditions.

Poon makes some good points and refered to Blue Nile's amended T&Cs. I am very aware of these affiliates who are currently not in compliance and have given them a little time to get themselves cleaned up. I completely agree that "policy" is only effective when followed up with "enforcement."

Hi Poon

Please fire it over, Nova sent me a batch a couple of weeks ago that we chased up. 3 Stopped and was removed.

Our T&C outline that this is not allowed. Only user initiated clicks may create a cookie.

Cheers

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    On it's way.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread