As some of you may know, I am relatively new to the Collections Etc. program and to the affiliate marketing world as a whole.

The biggest complaint I have seen so far from our affiliates is non-com sales because of return days being exceeded.

I just changed the return days to 14...is this an important change to affiliates or do many of you still consider that too few?

ABW Ambassador
    What was it on before? 14 is ok

Why did you put it on 14? Why not 30? or 60?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks for the 14 return days as this should be more then enough for impulse buying items never more then $14.95
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

It was 7 before. I will look into making it longer, but no promises.

What about storefronts...anyone interested in that? Does it genuinely help you push our stuff?

YES YES YES

Storefronts, pagemaker, PSC, whatever you want to call it. Just something to make life easier and easier to put good links up.

OK, now when can we expect them?

Abu,
    I was glad to see this post, since I am one of your affiliates that has continuously lost commissions due to the return day policy. In fact, after looking at my "non-commissionable" sales report just yesterday, I was seriously considering dropping Collections Etc.

14 days should help, although 30 days is more reasonable in an economy where consumers are much more conservative. It'd be an even greater gesture if this 14 day return day policy was made retroactive to the beginning of May (but I won't hold my breath hoping).

I have no problem making it retroactive. I just have to figure out how.

As far as 30 return days goes...let me show the president that 14 days is not drastic increase in commissions and then I will work on sneaking it up to 21 and then 30.

I can certainly appreciate the politics of not bucking the system too hard from the onset.

Just as a little insight about the boss' reluctance to pay out more commissions...if they're paying out more commission, then it stands to reason that they're also producing more sales. Here's my thoughts on the matter:

Happy affiliates--->Greater viral marketing--->More volume in sales--->More net profit for merchant.

Corporate politics *shudder*...

I understand what increased return days means to affiliates, but you also have to look at it from a business owner's perspective. He is getting sales without paying commissions. As crappy as that sounds to you and me, to the man upstairs it sounds great!

My boss has been very receptive to most of my suggestions and I am confident that Collections Etc. will be offering 30 return days in the near future.

I AM a business owner Abu. This isn't a moonlighting job for me. But I do know that each person has their own set of beliefs and can respect his position even though it differs from my belief in volume and viral marketing being key to a bigger bottom line.

Nuff said.

I'll look forward to the coming changes in Collection Etc's policies and see where it leads.

PS - I used to be one of those corporate 9-5ers with all the politcal facets to worry about. This is MUCH more preferable and certainly less stressful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> He is getting sales without paying commissions. As crappy as that sounds to you and me, to the man upstairs it sounds great!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We see our effective marketing efforts not get rewarded. We promote the competition who offer better terms. As crappy as that sounds to the man upstairs there, to us it sounds great!
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

My job is to make sure your efforts DO get rewarded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abu Gabby:
    My job is to make sure your efforts DO get rewarded. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha.

You can make it 300 days but it won't matter...

Now that ebates is part of the program, guess whose cookies will be overwritten...

Ebates suckered CE in, don't get suckered into the deal as well...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now that ebates is part of the program, guess whose cookies will be overwritten...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if they are involved, I'm not interested.

smart move

if we do this more often (refuse to work with ebates-ridden merchants), perhaps there will be less ebates to steal our commissions overall...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abu Gabby:
    I have no problem making it retroactive. I just have to figure out how.

As far as 30 return days goes...let me show the president that 14 days is not drastic increase in commissions and then I will work on sneaking it up to 21 and then 30. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Excuse me for butting in Abu, but...

I find it truly comical that you have trouble making your president understand that extending cookie duration for affiliates is a good thing, when you had no trouble making him believe that working with ebates who eats a good chunk of your profits was an even better thing since it was approved much faster.

Affiliates don't eat corporate profits, they contribute to increasing your bottomline. Ebates is more like pacman... they eat everything in sight, DECREASING your profits.

Go figure... Maybe I'm just in the wrong business!

Catwoman

tee, hee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Abu wrote:
    As far as 30 return days goes...let me show the president that 14 days is not drastic increase in commissions and then I will work on sneaking it up to 21 and then 30. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So you don't want your affiliates to make money, huh? You can roll out the welcome mat for Ebates, and pay them commissions for sales that you normally wouldn't pay a cent for, and that's an acceptable expense to you, but to extend cookies for affiliates might put you over the top, expense-wise?

Does anyone else see the insult in that?

Basically, at this point, the return cookie days don't matter because Ebates will just snatch up the commissions. Affiliates should be running away from your program, you are VERY ANTI-AFFILIATE!

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!!

Andy

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread