ABW Ambassador
    Could some of you check you reversals for me?

Here's an example of what we are seeing:

On nov. 7th, someone buys something for $50 and we get a $2.50 commission. Transaction id is 1234

Then in Dec. we see a reversal of transation 1234 with a new ID 5678 which references 1234 and it says "duplicate order" and then a NEGATIVE $2.50.

First there is a $2.50 and then a $-2.50 which means we got paid $0.00.

That can't be right. Where is the original order then? If they say "duplicate" that means there has to be one additional for $50 and a $2.50 commission, but we've searched back 4 months and never found the original sale credited to our account.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Some merchants have pulled that stuff for a long time, only now instead of an ugly red bar we get ugly red figures!

I think when a merchant says "duplicate order" and it's impossible to find two (or more) instances of the origianal order in the accounts...it's plain bogus.

There's either more than one original or not. How these places expect anyone to believe there was a duplicate when there's only one instance of the original I don't know! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Various excuses have been floated by the merchants that do that, but they don't pass my probability screen. A duplication of a phone order? A duplication of an SE-generated order? How about, the customer ordered once at one aff. site, then came back through yours to get another of the exact same item?! Um, yeah, those are technically possible...but for purposes other than statistical probability theories--fat chance!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

I think its unlikely that anybody is going to order something from a merchant and then go back to exactly the same merchant and re-order exactly the same thing. Leaders first assumtion is probably the most likely, "it's plain bogus".

In my opinion some of these merchants simply decide they are going to reverse a percentage of all commissionable sales as part of a cost cutting excercise.

It is a dis-service to other publishers when affiliates don't name these merchants and without a "name and shame" attitude this kind of activity is perpetuated.

I have had sales from music123 reversed in exactly this circumstance. I sent them an email asking for an explanation but they have probably filed it in their oubliette folder.

Music123 also reversed sales for the "out of stock" reason. This seems a little odd to me because when a user arrives at one of their pages and the product is out of stock there is no image or description. The main content of their product pages when an item is out of stock are the words "This item is out of stock". How is it possible to order from a page where there is no shopping cart and the only content besides logo & navigation are the words "This item is out of stock"?

Even if they are out of stock and the user reaches a page where the product is still listed I am sure they would attempt to re-order the item to fulfill the sale.

I think its unlikely that anybody is going to order something from a merchant and then go back to exactly the same merchant and re-order exactly the same thing. Leaders first assumtion is probably the most likely, "it's plain bogus".

In my opinion some of these merchants simply decide they are going to reverse a percentage of all commissionable sales as part of a cost cutting excercise.

It is a dis-service to other publishers when affiliates don

ABW Ambassador
    I wondered the exact same thing.

On occasion I've noticed duplicate orders. However, I've seen reversals with that reason, where only onder order existed....

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:

I have had sales from music123 reversed in exactly this circumstance. I sent them an email asking for an explanation but they have probably filed it in their oubliette folder.

Rag on music123 for this. I know I did, and complained about the "not in stock" etc.. So far, they've done better. Now instead of 96% reversale, they are I think at 50% for us.. so we are making progress. My point to them was "hey, if we are sending you a customer for a product you have on your site, you have a duty to see to it that it's in stock."

Seemed to help... FWIW.

AffJus,
    you said, "Now instead of 96% reversale, they are I think at 50%"

Are you doing any worthy volume with these guys? 50% means they are jacking you if this is the case. That's head over heals above the fraud rate in Mother Russia or Nigeria. I'd take their links down and ask for some sort of meaningful answer. Demographics don't fluctuate to such an intensity.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Don Steitz:
    AffJus,
    you said, "Now instead of 96% reversale, they are I think at 50%"

Are you doing any worthy volume with these guys? 50% means they are jacking you if this is the case. That's head over heals above the fraud rate in Mother Russia or Nigeria. I'd take their links down and ask for some sort of meaningful answer. Demographics don't fluctuate to such an intensity.

We switched to Mars Music, but then they went bankrupt. So we switched over to a dating service and it did okay, but still not right for the target. So we tried Linda at pro sound, and that didn't work for us either. Our target is just people who buy instruments. I think mostly high school & garage bands, guitars especially, some drums, some keyboards. We've looked around and so far can't find anyone else. So we went back to 123 and that's when the returns dropped to about 50% and so far last month and this month it's looking better than that.

I wrote to them and politely (but with a bit of sarcasim) asked them to please just stock the stuff my customers are ordering. Maybe they listened, cause the rate has really dropped from the high in July (I think) of 96% to only 10% on Nov. We'll see how December goes...

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Are you doing any worthy volume with these guys

Probably not in your league. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just wanted to clarify, 90% of the returns were for "sold out/item can't ship." So that's when I wrote telling them that if I'm sending them customers for those products, then they need to stock more of those products. I can only report the results, and like I said above, since emailing them (and diverting that traffic elsewhere for a little while) they have done much better than before.

I completely understand your point, and thank you for pointing it out! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi!
    Music123 has migrated our Affiliate Program from CJ to LinkShare.com, where we can offer a 7-day cookie, product link feeds, and commissions of up to 8%.
    In a market where our no hassle returns, 45 day price guaranty and satisfaction guaranty are neccessary in order to be competitive, and manufacturer's back-orders are common, there will always be some post-sale cancellations and returns (reversals).
    The differences in the structure of the programs will create fewer reversals as well as generating greater revenues for our affiliates.
    As the General Manager of our company, I am now personally overseeing our Affiliate Program. I welcome your questions at affiliates@music123.com.
    Thanks for reading this response.
    Jeff Cravetz

ABW Ambassador
    Excuse my interuption but Jeff C. Please quit copying and pasting this message everywhere. Either deal with the discussion, This isn't an ad Board for your affiliate program. I've this identical post about 5 times.

If your Serious about this affiliate Marketing thing. YOu should contact Haiko about getting your own private forum. And then you can work on your company's problems.

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open." Thomas Dewar

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread