Affiliate Manager
    Anne's SherpaBlog: Affiliate Hell Week

Ouch. When affiliate management company Linkshare announced their Titanium Awards Winner last week for best performing affiliate of 2003, turns out the winner 24HourEDeals.com, was a cookie-stuffer.

So Linkshare had to rip the tiara off the winner's head and take back the $15k award.

Cookie stuffing is when an affiliate puts loads (sometimes hundreds) of cookies with their commission codes on an unsuspecting Web surfer's computer, who happened to click on just one link the affiliate controlled. Then the next time that surfer goes to a merchant's site of their own accord, the merchant thinks the affiliate sent them. So the merchant pays out a commission for the traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    Gee really? I wouldn't have known had you not posted that here

Affiliate Manager
    Sorry, I haven't been able to check this site lately, but noticed this in an email subscription. I also missed the Symposium... I guess I need to get out of vacation mode!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yes, there was a very big thread on this. Thanks, however, for the explanation of exactly how the cookies are loaded thru the one click-thru. This seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do so I wonder how many others do this? I have often wondered if some sort of URL referal system wouldn't work better than the cookie.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have often wondered if some sort of URL referal system wouldn't work better than the cookie.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ClickBank has something like that, and I've read a lot of complaints from ClickBank affiliates who say it's too easy for any ol' Joe Blow to mess with their "hoplink."

Plus, there doesn't seem to be any way to get any return days with a link-based referral method. Meaning, if the customer doesn't buy right away, you're scr*wed without a way to set a cookie.

I'd hate to see any of my programs become "0 return days" or, as other networks put it, "Cookie Duration 0 days!" In fact I would certainly drop any place that didn't track return visits. If the customer I send has to think about it for a week or so before buying, I don't want to be out of luck!

Better to have the risk of a cookie being overwritten, then not to have any real chance to get paid for visitors that don't buy instantly. Taking away cookies would be like committing suicide to avoid any chance of being murdered!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread