The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    For the first time ever - I actually watched someone (the receptionist downstairs) go to one of my websites and place an order.

It didn't track!!!

I contacted the merchant. Response was:

I'm showing that the order was placed over the phone so it was not tracked online. Provide me with your LinkShare user ID and I will have it added.

I have no idea how an order I watched take place online could be confused with a phone-in order.

Who should I complain to - Linkshare or the merchant? Who's responsible for determining the difference between a link and a telephone call.

Wonder how prevelant this is.

Definitely sounds like a merchant problem. I would contact both Linkshare AND the merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Does the merchant report on transaction or process date usually? (Sale Date or Ship Date).

If the later then the AM might be confused...

If the former then run a few test orders to see what comes up, if they take wire transfer as a payment option that's easy to do.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Very common with the major brand LS merchants, who do everything by batch reports. Over 7 years I've run into the same spin and smoke and mirrors, when actually sitting at the clients computer and typing in the order with his credit card in hand. Makes it even worse, like with Dell about 10 times, where I actually had to install the damn computers without ever getting creidt for the sale. Dell has a well worn out standard list of 10 cop-out excuses for not recording an affiliates sale for 5 years.

Makes me wonder why I waste my breath praying LS would have the balls to publish the actual conversion ratio of their merchants from legit physical affiliate generated clicks. I've talked to some AM's over the years ,who let their guards down, and spout out their general site traffic converts at a 1/90 to 1/120 clip. Yet they clam up when asked what the conversion ratio is for targeted showcase affiloiate links.

It would not take a wiz kid to figure out how to program turning off the checkout page parsing script reporting back to LS after XXX number of sales per day or week. If someone physically challenges the sales reporting it's a simple task to verify the order was place during the cart turn off phase and manually credit the sale upon next upload to LS. If the process is done by a third party AM firm rather then an actual merchant employee the level of BS finger pointing is expanded.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Actually, it's a webhosting service. There's no ship date. It's supposed to be instant commission (ok, it's Linkshare, next day commission)

Chris, I always thought the Thailand thing was a joke - the way people sign "somewhere in america" or the "swamplands". I didn't know until today you really are in Thailand. There must be a post at abw as to why you - and your guitar - are there. Where's the link?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    Definitely sounds like a merchant problem. I would contact both Linkshare AND the merchant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I had the same thing with both Linkshare and CJ,wehn I called the merchant they said call the program, then the reverse happened, also with a custom candle company in amazon.com and Barnes & Noble on be free, I don't know who to trust anymore, it costs us alot to do their advertising online, everyone has a budget for expenses, this business doen't help anyone, but the merchant, and maybe the shopper, if they every get what they ordered, Many orders to Overstock.com. bargains on ls were out of stock, we lost.Our feedback from shopper's is brural sometimes.My nickles wrth plus 3 cents
    JJ

This was a "throw away" topic - how did it rate 6 check marks!!

This is silly...

Gotta' change my sig file/tag line - whatever it's called.

When I PM'd the Affiliate manager to see why the sale didn't track, his original response was

"Sorry 'bout the lost check. I'll have our accounting dept look into it."

http and a telephoto
    I never noticed the checkmark thing until you mentioned it. It certainly isn't therefore something I pay attention too!

Nice to know people read your whole PM's to them, including responding to the sig!!!! LOL Anything to get your mind off the tracking problem!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

all notices of diversion mechanisms are interesting to those who need to eat every day.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Kay:

I have no idea how an order I watched take place online could be confused with a phone-in order. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was the person you watched using a modem or did they have a direct connection to the internet? It is so terribly hard for a merchant to know when a customer is using a modem (phone) as opposed to a full on internet connection.

Come to think of it, you should probably consider DSL orders phone orders as well since DSL uses the phone system. It is probably best to assume that all of the orders are phone...unless, of course, the affiliate is a parasite. You need to keep the parasites fed.

First:
    "I had the same thing with both Linkshare and CJ,wehn I called the merchant they said call the program, then the reverse happened, also with a custom candle company in amazon.com and Barnes & Noble on be free, I don't know who to trust anymore, it costs us alot to do their advertising online, everyone has a budget for expenses, this business doen't help anyone, but the merchant, and maybe the shopper, if they every get what they ordered, Many orders to Overstock.com. bargains on ls were out of stock, we lost.Our feedback from shopper's is brural sometimes.My nickles wrth plus 3 cents"

Huh?

and...

"Was the person you watched using a modem or did they have a direct connection to the internet? It is so terribly hard for a merchant to know when a customer is using a modem (phone) as opposed to a full on internet connection. Come to think of it, you should probably consider DSL orders phone orders as well since DSL uses the phone system. "

Is this a joke?

Fred

http and a telephoto
    Fred, I am *pretty* sure it was a joke.... lol
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Billy

I've been here for over 12 years now. Back in 1991 I was working in Denmark, teaching at a school there, and decided I needed a change, so I applied for a job in Japan, Thailand and Hungary, decided on Thailand and moved here in May 1992 just a few days after the democratic uprising.

Worked in schools through to 1996 and jumped into the Internet in Dec '96 with WSO and been with WSO ever since, initially doing tech research but now running the company.

cheers

chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread