Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I got a phone call today from an AM saying that LS had given him my phone number - for the purpose of recruiting new aff partners.

OK, says I - do you partner with parasites?
    Says he - that depends on what YOU think a parasite is.
    Says I- how about 180 Solutions?
    Says he - well yes we do work with them

Sorry - not interested.

Point being - LS, until you REALLY educate the AM's on what a parasite is and the track record of 180 (and the like) - DO NOT go giving out my phone number.

Thank you.
    Ebudae

Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Jumpin' mother of all the deities!

Giving out affiliates phone numbers!!!!

Sure like we want 600 or 700 merchants calling us when they discover we can actually sell stuff.

Criminy! We will all have to change our phone numbers and have them unlisted!!!

THAT IS HORRIBLE.

What is LS thinking?

BAD LS! BAD!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Yes, heaven forbid the merchants actually have a means to contact us. How dare they speak to us without our permission. I will allow merchants to call me as long as they don't make eye contact.

Sheesh.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, heaven forbid the merchants actually have a means to contact us. How dare they speak to us without our permission. ~2gunshorty <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY! If you want to be contacted, YOU should be the one to make the number available--NOT the network!

It is simply not any network's place to determine how, or even if, we are contacted by merchants. LS overstepped its bounds big time!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2gunshorty why don't you post your number so we can use call forwarding to send all the calls to you?

I rarely give my number to merchants. I would go into detail about why I don't want them to have it but I might hurt peoples feelings for no good reason other than to prove a point to you.

You just take all the calls you want but don't give out MY number!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

If this is true it is a F'ing disgrace and Stephen should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. No matter who gave them out they were Linkshare employees. I hope you have removed your privacy pages Stephen, especially the "information about affiliates" section.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2gunshorty:
    Yes, heaven forbid the merchants actually have a means to contact us. How dare they speak to us without our permission. I will allow merchants to call me as long as they don't make eye contact.

Sheesh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you incapable of thought?
    Has your brain ceased to work?
    Are you a bloody idiot?

Privacy issues take precedence!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    No one called me or Charlie ...whuz up wit dat!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Uhmmmmmm

Mike - remember you transferred all those calls to me!

Might want to get checked for Alzheimer’s!

I just checked ...drank up all of that one at the Detroit Thunderfest over the weekend.....

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

LinkShare should probably focus its time and attention on dealing with the software app affiliates in its network who are STEALING from other LS affiliates!

They need to be educating the merchants as to how these perps make money, instead of violating affiliate privacy.

Makes you wonder just how low a network will go...

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Makes you wonder just how low a network will go... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I learned long ago.... if I want privacy... I needed to NOT give out personal info....

I have a business phone number with voice mail...

1&gt; I always let voice mail recieve the call

2&gt;I never return phone calls to this number unless the caller briefly states the reason for the call...

3&gt;I never give out my physical location, I use the adddress of the local UPSstore where I have a mailbox.

my address looks like this

Handsome Guy
    23244 SomeWhere
    Suite 2345
    Nowhere, CyberSpace 111100

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Their privacy statement clearly states that they share this information with merchants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We may use and disclose the information we have or acquire about any Affiliate as provided in the Affiliate Agreement, which such Affiliate enters into with LinkShare. The template form of Affiliate Agreement gives LinkShare broad discretion in using and sharing the information that Affiliates provide to us, including the right to furnish any or all of that information to Merchants or other third parties. LinkShare is not responsible or liable for any use or disclosure by any Merchant or other third party of information about any Affiliate that we furnish. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is nothing new. I get probably half a dozen calls a week from merchants and/or Linkshare Account Executives. The only thing that frustrates me is that I've told Linkshare over and over again the criteria I use to select merchants and virtually none of the ones that call meet that criteria. It's a waste of my time and theirs.

Other networks handle this better.

CJ shares almost nothing about affiliates, even when the affiliate applies to the merchant program or is active in the program.

I don't believe BeFree shares affiliate information with merchants without permission (but I could be wrong). They called me and asked if they could share my information with select merchants. I told them yet.

Personally, I don't mind the merchant calls. After all, in a broad sense THE MERCHANTS are my customers. They're the ones who pay me. As an affiliate, I provide marketing services to my merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well, we'll add LinkShare's privacy statement to the long list of things they do that STINK! That "other third parties" thing bothers me. Sounds like they have Carte Blanche to do whatever they want with the info.

Andy

When you read crap like this and some of the privacy policies on some of these sites it's no bloody wonder Norton blocks them really.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

The OTHER 3rd parties must be the IAB (Internet Advertising Bureau) and DMA (Direct Marketing Assoc.) members and the AM firms willing to pay for Super affiliate contact info.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Few months back Outdoor Superstore (the merchant) was sharing my personal info with other affiliates (posted somewhere here on ABW)

Then I found out that besides being a merchant, they were also an affiliate - who (as a merchant) had access to all my priveledged information.

So I contacted Linkshare to find out exactly what info merchants (that I don't belong to) had access to. My phone number was NOT one of the things she said Linkshare gives out:

Received: 05/17/2004 03:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT - 4:00 )
    To: Ebony &lt;contact@linkshare.com&gt;
    Subject: Re: Outdoor Superstore Private Invitational Offer from Outdoor Superstore

As always, a question to Linkshare requires ziliions of emails!

1. Did you see my question was "2. Exactly what information (my business
    models, my URLs, my sales figures, etc.) does Linkshare make available
    to merchants that I am NOT affiliated with"

received May 19, 2004 2:58 pm

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your email!

As stated below, the information available to merchants whose program you are not in is: Contact information available in the LinkShare interface:
    Affiliate Name
    Affiliate ID
    LinkShare Join Date
    City
    State
    Zip or Postal Code
    Country
    Status (active/inactive)
    and general category data (eg., flowers, coupon, search).

In regards to the legal aspects of merchants who have affiliate accts and sharing info, I am waiting to hear back from our legal team on that.

Regards,

Ebony L Dixon
    Affiliate Support Manager
    LinkShare Corporation

There's a free internet phone service I use just for Linkshare. Their catch is - you get an area code of 309 (no idea what state that is) for free, and if you want a local area code (in this case Las Vegas), you have to pay. I took the free one. Who cares what state Linkshare reps call.

Also, I asked LS if there was any rules against me placing me real URL in their mandatory Site URL box, and they said no. So the URL that merchants see when they check Linkshare says:

Our Websites

If you're a Linkshare Affiliate Development Rep - this blank page will show what we will do for you - nothing. Please honor our repeated requests and don't contact us.

If you're a Linkshare merchant who wants to send us an unsolicited invitation to join your program, we're not interested - until you join a more responsible network.

If you're a Linkshare merchant who we already partner with, and for some reason forgot our URLs, please email [edited out my email address] for the list.

If you look at my previous post, there's a category called "Status: Active or Inactive". We've asked (and have been told by merchants and Dev Reps) that we're listed as Inactive.

So no phone.
    No URL
    A statement saying we don't want linkshare merchants
    Listed as Inactive.

Guess what? While I wrote the above post, got TWO "We think you'd be a perfect partner with us" emails from linkshare merchants.

Obviously they don't read!!!!

I'll be replying to Camping World with "What did you like most about our website"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Kay:
    Few months back Outdoor Superstore (the merchant) was sharing my personal info with other affiliates (posted somewhere here on ABW)

Then I found out that besides being a merchant, they were also an affiliate - who (as a merchant) had access to all my priveledged information.

So I contacted Linkshare to find out exactly what info merchants (that I don't belong to) had access to. My phone number was NOT one of the things she said Linkshare gives out:

Received: 05/17/2004 03:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT - 4:00 )
    To: Ebony &lt;contact@linkshare.com&gt;
    Subject: Re: Outdoor Superstore Private Invitational Offer from Outdoor Superstore

As always, a question to Linkshare requires ziliions of emails!

1. Did you see my question was "2. Exactly what information (my business
    models, my URLs, my sales figures, etc.) does Linkshare make available
    to merchants that I am NOT affiliated with"

received May 19, 2004 2:58 pm

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your email!

As stated below, the information available to merchants whose program you are not in is: Contact information available in the LinkShare interface:
    Affiliate Name
    Affiliate ID
    LinkShare Join Date
    City
    State
    Zip or Postal Code
    Country
    Status (active/inactive)
    and general category data (eg., flowers, coupon, search).

In regards to the legal aspects of merchants who have affiliate accts and sharing info, I am waiting to hear back from our legal team on that.

Regards,

Ebony L Dixon
    Affiliate Support Manager
    LinkShare Corporation <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi sir,

I apologize if there was any information that leaked out that was deemed inappropriate. You were originally contacted using an affiliate recruiting tool. As was stated in our last correspondence, I am willing to re-imburse you for any financial loss you may have endured. I responded to your last posting, but never got a response back. Please send me a PM so that we may be able to resolve this issue. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Sok Verdery

Sok,

Post that on the other thread pls and keep this on topic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Personally, I don't mind the merchant calls. After all, in a broad sense THE MERCHANTS are my customers. They're the ones who pay me. As an affiliate, I provide marketing services to my merchants.
    ~Michael Coley <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For your current merchants, I'd agree that yes, they're your customers. And if you like talking to them on the phone, fine. (How you run your business is up to you, and that's how it should be.)

But you *also* said in the same post,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've told Linkshare over and over again the criteria I use to select merchants and *virtually none of the ones that call meet that criteria.* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> (emphasis added by me)

So there seems to be zero benefit to us in LS giving out our contact info to "whoever." (I would assume that *you* would give the info directly to those you actually want to communicate with, not wait for the network to do it.)

I wouldn't even want all of my current merchants to have my number. There are a significant number of merchants who don't sell enough to be worth the time of day! I think there should be a checkbox for, "Make additional contact info available to this merchant." For duds, we'd leave it unchecked. And for the "worthy," we would just check the box in order to allow multiple communication methods.

It won't do LS any good to give out my info anyway. My voice mail is a tireless secretary and it doesn't take much effort for me to hit "delete messages." But it's the principle of the thing--that if I got onto LS's radar I would be rewarded with pestering from merchants that I'd never sign up with!

That's a strong disincentive. Kind of like those stores that automatically sign you up for their prolific spam list if you dare make the mistake of ordering something from them.

As for that being in LS's privacy policy, that just shows that their policy SUCKS!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    That's interesting that this thread was started. We got a phone call yesterday from a LS merchant that my husband applied to, saying that they've approved him.

In that case, we were kind of impressed they took the time to call. I hadn't looked at it from your guys perspective in the case of being solicited.

Robin

I got a call from a big merchant at CJ two weeks ago at my home number. I only list my personal business number with all the networks and sure am curious how they got my home number. I emailed them back and never heard from them again.

Sorry if this is not quiet on topic but felt thought a good place to comment on this.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

By any chance, do you have your home phone number listed on the registration for your domain(s)? That would be my first guess. CJ doesn't give merchants (even ones you are active with) access to your phone number.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast