I got an email from linkshare about their datafeed:

==
    Please note that one of the requirements for participating in this program is to have access to a static IP or proprietary IP range.
    ==

What's static ip, how to get it?

Thanks
    Rob

static is an IP address that never changes. Contact your Host or ISP for your own static IP.

tranlation,

you need a website...

all repetable hosting companies use static IPs.

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador
    Most inexpensive hosting packages offer shared IP addresses, which cannot be used with Linkshares Datafeed offerings according to what they have told you. This means you will need to choose a professional grade, or non-beginner hosting account which has a dedicated IP address.

ABW Ambassador
    Huh? Survey Man where does it say it needs to be a unique ip address? And most hosting companies share ips, it is an arin rule that a site alone is not justification for an ip address.

Chet

Thanks guys,
    I have a dedicated server and my own ip, however, I host several domains there sharing the same ip address, is that ok?

Thanks
    Rob

That should be no problem...

Breezing

ABW Ambassador
    Are they requiring a static IP for your web site or are they requiring a static IP for your personal computer? These are two completely different things.

My guess from the context of your message (receiving a data feed from Link Share) that they want the computer you use to access the Linkshare datafeed to have a static IP.

Your client has to have a static IP to set up SSH, ODBC connections, etc.. You should clarify if the static IP requirement is in regards to the machine that displays the ads or in regards to the machine that accesses the datafeed.

I guess, you could access the datafeed from your hosted web site. I suspect, however, that most people access datafeeds from their home client then upload to web sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Cheez, first of all I never said that, if you read the original posters email...he is the one who stated Linkshares requirements for a datafeed, which includes a static IP.

Second, sharing IP addresses is a common practice at hosting companies. We have been with our share of hosting companies and all of them actually had a choice, depending on which package you went with as to whether you had a shared or static IP address (all but entry level plans usually have static). One of the primary reasons for this involves the saturation of the total available IP address pool. This is also why an internal IP address for home networks, beginning with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx was "invented".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    Huh? Survey Man where does it say it needs to be a unique ip address? And most hosting companies share ips, it is an arin rule that a site alone is not justification for an ip address.

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    While the cheez line sure is a winner, I quote you:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Most inexpensive hosting packages offer shared IP addresses, which cannot be used with Linkshares Datafeed offerings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which the original poster did not say, they only stated they needed a static ip. What you state in your quote is incorrect, you can use shared ips with the linkshare datafeed, which is what i said in my post.

So I am not sure your point, unless this is just the new professionalism everyone is talkig about and I am supposed to respond to you with a snappy play on your name.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Survey Man and Chez,

Just about all web sites have static IPs...otherwise they would not work!

Web hosts often have "shared" IP addresses. Shared IPs are different from static IPs. Shared IP means that more than one domain name resolves to an IP address. Static means that the IP address doesn't change between sessions.

Most ISPs give you a new IP address each time you log in. You can request a static IP address from your ISP. You generally have to pay extra for that service, because there is a limited number of IP addresses.

I would like clarification, but I am pretty sure that the Linkshare requirement is about ISPs not web hosts.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just about all web sites have static IPs...otherwise they would not work!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. This is true, which makes a nonsense of LinkShare's requirements. Chez and Survey Man are talking about dedicated IPs, which is a different issue altogether.

ABW Ambassador
    I understand about dedicated, static, shared ips etc. I am merely pointing out you do not need a dedicated IP address to work with the linkshare datafeed, you can use a shared ip. Which Survey Man tried to say you couldn't. I was just trying to clear up the point, which I guess I did not do very well.

I pull my datafeeds straight from my server and process everything there, if i had to download/upload on my isp account, what is the sense? What is automated? Which I agree, for many people, with their isp, that will be a senseless additional cost. Of course they could always download to their server, then download to their pc, then upload it back... ugh...

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for the STATIC (unchanging) IP, I always thought that if I signed up for the LS feed that I'd set up a script to call it from my site, that way I could just make use of that IP. I figure that it shouldn't take much Googling to find out how to write such a script, if I was motivated enough.

I never *have* been motivated enough, though. LS doesn't have enough feed-enabled merchants that pay a real commission, and aren't toxic waste (like Music123 is), to bring me to part with that $250.

When it comes to static IPs and sites--I have actually seen a couple of web hosts that said they had dynamic IPs.

I just did a quick Google search, looking for them, and it seems that they've disappeared. But there's a software being touted as being able to constantly update the DNS to keep up with ISPs IP changes! This software is supposed to make it possible to "run a web server" through a home ISP that uses dynamic IPs.

So they probably bought into that pitch and opened up, only to find it didn't work well enough to be a webhost with it.

Here's a link to one of these softwares: http://www.soft32.com/download_14588.html

Despite the word "download" in the URL, that's the information page.

Disclaimer: I just got that link off of Google, so I don't know anything about the site in the link.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

SurveyMan: You're not quite right there. You can access Linkshare datafeeds with a shared IP address, as long as it's a static IP address. I think you're confusing the two.

When you sign up for the datafeeds at Linkshare, they'll add the IP address you give them to the list of authorized IP addresses for the datafeed server. If you try to access the datafeed server from a non-authorized IP address, it will refuse your connection.

If you're planning on getting the datafeeds from your PC, process them there, and upload the generated pages, your PC's connection needs a static IP address. Normally, ISP's don't give static IP addresses unless you pay extra for it.

If you're planning on accessing the datafeeds from your server, that's the machine that needs a static IP address (which it probably already has).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I believe we were making the assumpting that when he said static, he meant dedicated...*bonk*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just about all web sites have static IPs...otherwise they would not work!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. This is true, which makes a nonsense of LinkShare's requirements. Chez and Survey Man are talking about dedicated IPs, which is a different issue altogether. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Chez & Michael...Listen, and read my post. I NEVER, ever said you could not use the datafeeds...The original poster said Linkshare had stated this. I was basing my comment on the assumption that he / she was correct.

Man, sometimes people will do anything to make arguments on this board. Why can't we just help one another here?

Flame on, I'm done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    I understand about dedicated, static, shared ips etc. I am merely pointing out you do not need a dedicated IP address to work with the linkshare datafeed, you can use a shared ip. Which Survey Man tried to say you couldn't. I was just trying to clear up the point, which I guess I did not do very well.

I pull my datafeeds straight from my server and process everything there, if i had to download/upload on my isp account, what is the sense? What is automated? Which I agree, for many people, with their isp, that will be a senseless additional cost. Of course they could always download to their server, then download to their pc, then upload it back... ugh...

Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Survey Man,

I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just saying that what you said wasn't right. (I even tried to say it in a nice way.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Survey Man:
    Most inexpensive hosting packages offer shared IP addresses, which cannot be used with Linkshares Datafeed offerings according to what they have told you. This means you will need to choose a professional grade, or non-beginner hosting account which has a dedicated IP address. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Shared IP addresses don't have anything to do with it. If www.mysite.com and www.yoursite.com both have the same IP address (shared IP addresses), that doesn't keep a script on that server from accessing Linkshare's datafeed server. It's a dynamic IP address that would keep you from accessing it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Michael, I guess you did not see my clarification a couple of posts up on the whole shared / static thing...which makes your post moot

Or perhaps the part where I DID NOT SAY it was a requirement, the original poster did. You still did not read that part...

No offense, but why aren't you reading before they reply?

ABW Ambassador
    Huh?

Chet

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread