ABW Ambassador
    Anyone else who has installed service pack #2 for windows XP, do you notice it blocks the Linkhare reporting pop-up that occurs every time you run any report?

Linkshare, isn't it time you address this and how will this, or wil this affect the results pulled when attempt to run reports?

A second note is that the pop-upblocker is set up as "on" by default so pretty much any pop-up is caught before hand, with the option to allow the site forever, allow pop-ups temporarily or simply do nothing and the pop-up will not surface its ugly head.

To elaborate, you can set the blocker to allow pop-ups from trusted sites, such as Amazon, Dell, etc, etc.

Thoughts?

ABW Ambassador
    Where exactly do you go to dl the service pack? I have it set to auto update but i know it's supposed to take a couple of months for it to roll out to everybody, i want to go ahead and get it now, thanks.

Hasn't been released to the public yet and Survey Man click the notice bar in IE and just select allow popups from this site.

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    It is released to the public, in fact. Microsoft is leaking slowly based on various usage patterns...more than likely so that they can distribute the load of this service pack and all the downloading they will be hit with

On that download link you gave, make note that the version there is for network adminstrators to push the update on multiple computers and NOT for single computer use....it is considerably larger and is not designed for single use....their warning note:

"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2."

Yes, I know you can say allow pop-ups from this site...however, don't you think it is time for this pop-up report window to be archived once and for all?

I will warn some of you guys I got an email that was suposedly from Microsoft with a link for this update upload but if you check the URL you will find most of microsofts URL's are small case whereas this one was upper case.

It was still microsoft.com but it as a hidden url I suspect. I deleted it before I thought to copy/paste it here sorry.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    I thought i had it to auto update but didn't so i just put it on so it will update and install on it's own whenever MS wants to give it to me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Survey Man:
    It is released to the public, in fact. Microsoft is leaking slowly based on various usage patterns... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, my impression (that could be all wrong) was that if you've had auto-update on all along that they know how often and how long you're online, so will probably push it to the heavier users first. Which means, of course, that all ABW users move to the front of the line

that link to sp2 is for IT Pros not for regular users. You should only use that if you are upgrading more then one PC. That version is also 20 MB larger then the one they will release to everyone.

Hi, call me a pessimist but unless you really need the update NOW I'd wait a few months to upgrade and see if there are any problems that crop up. I have considerable MS experience going back to DOS 3.3 (showing my age) and I have seen many MS service packs that are full of bugs. I know what it's like to download a new service pack to have it totally screw your system. Just my suggestion...I'm going to wait!

http and a telephoto
    I would like it so I can check and see if any of the Java changes affect my sites.... As for pop up blocking I have the Google bar, and I am pretty careful what sites I go to so have avoided too many drivebys. But Gator keeps finding it's way to my machine...
    Adaware keeps finding it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I still recomend Java VM to people. Microsoft technically doesn't allow you to use it but its available for download if you look hard.

If anyone wants PM me and I can send you a link for it.

http and a telephoto
    That isn't the point, I need to see my site the way the majority of visitors will see it after THEY upgrade.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes, I know you can say allow pop-ups from this site...however, don't you think it is time for this pop-up report window to be archived once and for all? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think blocking that LS popup hurts anything.

I know that checking my stats there with the Google toolbar blocker on, and hearing that *click* instead of having that stupid box come up in my face, gives me a nice feeling of satisfaction. I've always hated that notice and am glad to be rid of it!

Now if only the actual *stats* from that network were so satisfying! But turning off the blocker doesn't improve them any...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I got this letter in the mail from a friend - can anyone comment if it is true or not?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Microsoft is getting ready to release its long heralded SP2 for Windows XP, as well as a new SP for WIndows Server 2003. It's been touted as the answer to security issues...and the good news is, it looks like it is.

But the bad news is: After installing the service pack, a very high percentage of PC's will be inoperable! ANY PC that is equipped with any 16-bit software, including legacy software (commonly used for drivers for components) will be inoperable after the install. According to IDG news services, countless programs being used by XP/2003-operated PC's will no longer be able to function. PC's may not be able to connect to servers, and firewalls will keep out the older equipment! Here's what they're saying:

"Microsoft has made something of a trade-off with SP2, focusing on security at the expense of compatibility. As a result, SP2 can render existing applications inoperable. Microsoft has urged developers and IT professionals to test the update. A second "release candidate," likely the final test version, was made available earlier this month.

"The changes combined with the automatic update are especially worrying...During testing of the service pack (a systems engineer) found that the about 5,000 Windows XP desktops he manages will no longer be able to connect to the home office with the update installed..."

For our non-technical clients, that means that ANY program (including utilities that Windows uses to run your PC) which can also run under WIndows 9.X (Win 98, ME, 95) can render the PC inoperable. "Legacy software" is an "open source code" -- meaning it can be edited by any developer or savvy user, written in "3rd generation languages" such as BASIC, COBOL, etc. -- and is often used for "on board" (built into the motherboard) video, sound, etc. It's also used for many underlying built-in routines in programs such as databases (i.e., accounting programs.)

Microsoft's reasoning is that the 16-bit systems are creating "holes" in security. So they're disallowing them. Unfortunately, most of you have programs that, under XP, run in the "Windows 95 mode" or have legacy drivers for your PC. That will be a serious problem. Even if you are running an OLDER version of Microsoft software, such as Office 97, Works 99 or earlier, you'll no longer be able to use that software with Win XP.

For up to date networks, the security design is great news. For anyone with an older PC that uses any legacy drivers, or a brand new PC with older software, it can be a nightmare. In fact, the anticipated support demands has made the Gates' brigade announce that they will be offering direct support to retailers, developers, etc. (but not to individual users) -- a policy they stopped some years back. The SP is actually being treated as a product upgrade, as it's extremely different from the original version.

As a well-known PC magazine editor has said, only Microsoft can fix something by breaking it! Eventually, they will re-issue fixes to fix the fix. But like any "new" version of Windows, this one is going to be very tricky until the bugs are worked out.

According to the analysts, this service pack will produce wonders IF:
    - Your computer hardware is completely 32-bit or 64-bit based, including sound and video cards, etc.
    - Your software is completely 32 or 64-bit based.
    - Your IT (Information Technology personnel) is really on top of things.

The newest version has been released as a "beta 2", meaning that further changes are unlikely, especially as Microsoft is pushing to meet their timetable of a July release for the final SP.

Our advice is: Do NOT attempt to download this update! For your protection, be certain that your PC has been set to disallow automatic updates from Windows. This SP will be released as a "critical update". We strongly advise against it, until the damage control reports are in!

Should you decide it's appropriate to download the SP, be certain to backup your complete system (including registry) before attempting to execute the SP. Networked systems should be aware that all PC's on the network will be affected by the security, even if the upgrade is only installed on the server.

Also, once the upgrade is installed, it will be CRITICAL to do a complete system backup before installing any new software or drivers afterward to insure that, in the event the PC crashes after the install, it can be restored. The service pack cannot be uninstalled! Reinstallation of Windows, should there be a crash, will require a complete formatting of the hard drive, so please protect your data.

Meanwhile, PLEASE, remember to verify that the "automatic update" feature on your PC is turned OFF.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!
    Ebudae

Ebudae
    check the URL in the source if it is in capitals and not lower case I am fairly sure it will be fake. I looked on the real microsoft site and all the urls in that section are lower case.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Killing the LS reporting does not stop reports nor how they function, I've been doing it for months, though I admit that I was also a little concerned at first

The pop is purely a "Please Wait/Have Patience" pop .

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yep, that's the pop I enjoy blocking so much!

It always makes me irritated and certainly doesn't help my patience.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I don't care much for that LS pop, either. Especially when the reports are loading slow, and those orange squares keep sequencing. Very annoying. I often wonder how much faster the reports would be if I didn't have to also download everything for that pop up.

Andy

Thought I'd add the suggestion above to wait a while before downloading Service Pack #2 is a good one - in spite of the fact that it seems Microsoft took forever to roll this update out, it was done in a hurry, and there are likely a few bugs in it.

The script kiddies will make it a priority to find a way around the update or compromise it somehow, so I think it's best to just turn on automatic updates and let it download automatically. Perhaps a few of the bugs will be worked through by then as well.

I'm almost to the point where I hate for anything to update, because it seems there's always a problem because of it. Either I can't login a site anymore, or some setting has been changed that creates problems.

Andy

I would think everyone here would know - you NEVER respond to an email from Microsoft asking you to go to their site to update. That's not how MS does things.

Anyone who clicks on any link in an email from someone unknown (including MS) is just asking for trouble.

Go to the MS site, and see if it is there, or run the updater from your own machine.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    I guess this thread was an informal hint to Linkshare to remove their pop-up status window and integrate it into the body of the html....

I've got the new version running, and yes, it DOES NOT like the javascript that linkshare uses for that pop up. It may be time to take that out.

I tweaked some of my pages so problems don't arise from the new XP version... so far so good.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread