Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Today I got an email from a friend who is also an affiliate.
    She had forwarded an email from an affiliate manager from Linkshare.
    He listed my name and my site, told how many sales I had made, and how much I had earned and tried to convince her to also put up links...

This merchant is no longer listed on my site..
    I hit delete...

Cripes what an idiot! I hope you wrote him/her a scathing note saying why he/she was dropped.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Hope the assole does not have a privacy page eh?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Gosh, that really sucks. I recently received an affiliate recruiting spam from a LS merchant and there you were on a list of about a half dozen affiliate sites with sales stats displayed. I didn't have the pleasure of deleting their links, because I wasn't with their program. Can't even remember their name.
    ~Ernie

At the very least, you should show him the same courtesy he showed you and give us the company so we can be aware of them and him.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

That's terrible!

"Loose Lips Sink Ships" or in this case should make a major dent in their income.

ABW Ambassador
    Does their affiliate agreement state anything about mutual confidentiality? You should do more than just drop them from your site.

Bob

I can't believe an AM would post sales figures and name the site, especially to your competition, friendly or not! I hope you let them know how much you don't appreciate this invasion of privacy.

Andy

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way

Connie, they definitely need the super sized clue club taken to them (the clue stick just isn't big enough on this one).

Sharing that kind of financial information in business just isn't done. And it fact, most businesses (especially privately held businesses) consider such information proprietary information. It's just not done.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    This merchant is no longer listed on my site..
    - - - - -

In case you need a replacement, our camo tarps make lovely blinds.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Gone from mine too!

What the heck are they thinking?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I did send them an email and let them know why they were removed.
    I don't mind AM's sharing generic info, like listing the top commissions earned by affiliates, but I don't like someone giving out my info and naming me.
    I just wonder how many other people got a similar email. The way to recruit other affiliates is not to give out info on your other affiliates.
    Thanks Anne for letting me know about this.

another clueless person running merchant to the ground!

Sorry Connie I don't have them in my site/s so I will not have a pleasure removing them!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

ABW Ambassador
    As the Mrs said, we can't pull um but since you evidently did good with them - I'm off to apply right now.

Wheres that pot stirring graemlin?

Of course, I'm just kidding.

One of the unfortunate byproducts in an industry that is booming like this, is that, oftentimes, an individual with limited or no experience will be thrown into a position that they may not be ready for.

I'm not saying this is the case, maybe the AM for blinds.com is really experienced, but I can see something like that happening a lot when someone first steps into the job, not truly understanding the role affiliates play, the need for privacy and treatment as an equal, etc.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for an AM to blurt out some private info in a recruiting newsletter, or to come up with short sighted PPC policies, or to bite into the whole parasiteware pitch, without looking at the long term effects they have on their program. To a degree we affiliates are always at risk to this, because we never know when an AM is going to be replaced or over ruled by the accountants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happypoon:
    As the Mrs said, we can't pull um but since you evidently did good with them - I'm off to apply right now.

Wheres that pot stirring graemlin?

Of course, I'm just kidding. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Applying hell, I already got two sales!

j/k

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Rats!!! Where's a Blinds and Shades merchant when I need one

Thanks for sharing Connie - I'll make a mental note of the company to remind myself not to sign up for their program.

I am the President and founder of Blinds.com. I am also the person who is responsible for causing Connie her angst. Before seeing this post, I apologized to her privately. In retrospect, I can see why she is angry. I'd probably be angry too. My decision to share (even very limited information) was irresponsible.

In my defense, though, I was told by Connie that the only ONE affiliate that got that information was a good "friend" of hers. I inferred that it was OK to share with her friend. I was wrong; it was an error in my judgment and I can assure you and all affiliates that it will NEVER happen again.

It's too bad that she dropped us, though, because she WAS off to a good start. MANY others have found that to be the case, too. Linkshare employees have told me that we've done EXTREMELY well in our first month. Plus, our specials exclusively for Linkshare affiliates, and monthly newsletter have been well received. I hope you've also now found that when we screw up we admit it, learn from it, take corrective action, then move on.

Last, I once again sincerely apologize to Connie, Linkshare, and to everyone else. You may call me or my AM (Steve) any time at 1-800-505-1905 x3216.

Jay Steinfeld, President
    www.Blinds.com
    America's #1 blinds store.

Jay,

A very good response. I hope not too much damage has been done.

Because we live and work in a very unregulated business, we tend to be very critical when things like this happen. I know of two AM's this year that sent out emails with several other affiliates email addresses visible. A simple mistake, but it can cost them a good affiliate if they can't take the time to be very careful.

Such is the case here. Yes, you won't every do that again, but the thought is still there in the backs of some affiliates minds that you may not be careful in some other area. And that's the sad part for everyone involved.

As I'm not an affiliate of yours I am lucky in that I don't have to make a difficult decision right now. However, I do want to say I think you made a wise choice in coming here and your post was very appropriate. Nicely done!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Well....

I guess, a lot of merchants are learning as they go in this industry.

I do appreciate their dedication to learn from mistakes and am assured that it won't be an error that is repeated.

But, I feel for Connie. I have had this happen to me, too, and it sure feels like the rug has been pulled out from under you when it happens.

I have never quite trusted the merchant's judgement since and I always keep a back up handy that I can pop in his place running on a lower traffic site.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I've gotta admire Jay for his words and action [posting] and as SSanf points out we are "all" really learning/evolving as we go and not just online but in life.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I'll be the first to bash an AM - with just the slighest provocation.

But I've dealt with Jay and his AM Steve - I'm the one who invited them here to recruit affiliates.

They're NEWBIES - with a capital N!! (Look at the # of posts) - but SINCERE.

They're getting ideas here at ABW on what affiliates want - you should have rec'd their email about exclusive affiliate coupons.

And they're getting ideas on how to recruit ABW members (yea, he chose the WRONG idea).

Just letting you know - IMO - both the prez and am are legit and dedicated to us.

When another merchant posted my stats here, I did the same as Connie - PLUS I contacted Linkshare to find out THEIR official policy. That was several months ago - LS's attorneys are "still researching" if merchants are allowed to divulge your particulars to other affilates (Aargh)

To Jay and Steve: Whenever I find an AM I like and invite them to ABW, I always have a "disclaimer" that says something like "LURK for a while before introducing yourself. And make sure your house is in order before posting or you'll get ragged on". So, you only read every other word in my email huh!! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Jay-

Nice post, stand up guys do well here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast