Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to join LinkShare as a merchant and index our product for affiliates advertising.
    I receieved a price quote from them for the sum of $10,000 and a 2k annual fee.

Generally we are very sure of our product and our conversions, although giving out someone non-refundable 10k without inspecting their service further would be a precarious move.

Since we're already running our own affiliate program and it's going well, I wanted to ask for other webmasters opinions about the profitablity of LinkShare' service.

Is their affiliate management software really worth it?
    Do they pay on time to our affiliates?
    Do they track sales properly?
    and the big question is, do they really have such a large community of affiliates which can advertise our product?
    One that can produce sales in millions and not in thousands?

Additionally, if you think Linkshare is not the right choice, who do you think is?

I realize some of these questions had been answered already in this forum, but I have yet to find any real positive post from a merchant (not an affiliate) who is really doing well, without any issues.

Sincerely yours,

Sean

Welcome dinkboy,

I'll answer one for you and let the Veterans pill in the rest!

Try Share A Sale!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

>Do they answer email from affiliate?
    No, never.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Millions in sales from ShareASale?! Well, maybe, but I doubt it...

Just to be fair, though--without promotion from you, NO network will for-sure make you "millions in sales."

But as for LinksNare, the Haven of Duds and Deadbeats, I'm too tired right now to give them the full and righteous dissing like I would love to do, so I'll keep to the main points.

To sum it up, other than their being the repository for seemingly every merchant who couldn't cut it at CJ, LS's traits include:

Don't have consolidated checks.

Have no direct deposit.

Payment has been known to be slow. Accusations keep resurfacing of them holding onto checks even after it's showing that the merchant paid.

Horrid interface for finding merchants to add, especially the junk search box that can't find a merchant when I search on the merchant's name.

Takes forever to make links with their interface.

Charge for their datafeed.

Don't have enough decent merchants in their feed!

Have way too many "disappearing transaction"/"hosed reporting" threads lately.

Too many threads saying their email address is a black hole and their customer support is worthless.

They want 10 Grand!

Need I say I think they suck?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> if you think Linkshare is not the right choice, who do you think is? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CJ despite what some here say. It's my favorite network.

But again, even CJ can't guarantee you "millions in sales." At least, not that sales will warp there automagically! You'll have to put in effort to be seen, just like anywhere, due to the fact that you'll be one of many merchants competing for our attention.

There are enough affiliates in the pool, numbers-wise, to do it if your program is attractive and your product is in demand, though--that I am sure of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> we are very sure of our product and our conversions, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every merchant is sure of their products. To have a successful program, you'll need to convince affiliates that, A) It really is a good, competitive, and in-demand product, and B) That your affiliate program is something good to sign up for.

Good luck!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'll second Nova's answer. Try ShareaSale instead. - http://www.shareasale.com/

Shareasale doesn't allow parasites in their network like Linkshare and the other networks and try to talk you into accepting them into your affiliate base. With a parasite-free network, you won't be paying for sales to parasites that were generated from free traffic from search engines, your customer newsletters or direct type-in of your URL.

Does Linkshare pay affiliates on time? They average 7-10 business days (sometimes more) after you pay them the affiliate fees before sending out the affiliate checks, have a history of envelopes sticking together so affiliate checks get routed to the wrong affiliate and have been "working on" and making direct deposit option a "top prioity" for at least 3 or 4 years now and still seems no closer to having that a reality.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If your not just blowing smoke up our butts and truly believe your general site traffic converts at a steady 1 sale per 100 clicks then open a ABW forum under your INDY program. Offer a $10 bounty for anyone here who sends you 100 clicks from your coded links. Simple and inexpensive as the networks right now are not doing their recruiting function unless your interested in BHO dupers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Offer a $10 bounty for anyone here who sends you 100 clicks from your coded links. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd be a good little BONUS, but don't forget the sale commission, too!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Your correct Leader. The signup jumpstart activity bonus would particially be offset by profits on sales generated by those 100 clicks. This merchant knows the LS cost. This merchant should know their average conversion ration on general SE traffic. What this merchant doesn't know is the number and reach of active ABWers who remain loyal to honest converting merchants AFTER they get their first checks.

PS: SAS or indy merchants have no link targeting from Norton, popup blockers and cookie crunching programs. If your a product merchant then buy Akiva's PSC (Product Showcase Creator) and focus your landing pages towards the top sellers.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

If you have an Indy program - keep it.

Open a program at Shareasale. If you have a product that converts well, you will be a big fish in a growing pond.

And you stand to get the better affiliates to join up there.

Give people a choice - Indy or Network. The network choice is a good one for most affiliates in that they have consolidated payments. And there is no reason for someone NOT to be both an Indy affiliate and a network affiliate.

On the affiliate end, CJ and LS are losing market share big time. Shareasale is gaining it.

Having been a CJ merchant, the hassles are not worth the time and effort. As for Linkshare run away as fast as you can. Hideous is a good word to decribe them.

For $10k you can do better buying Google Adwords.

An affiliate program is not going to bring in millions...JC Penney does $100 million plus in online sales and they have an affiliate program. But it does chump change relatively speaking...the big numbers come from people getting the link in statememts, catalogs, direct mail.

They continually tout their net biz but forget to tell people they cannabilized it from their previous incarnations.

Do a shareasale program...you will be surprised how well you do for way less expense.

Thank you guys, you've been very helpful.

I would love to get additional feedbacks (good or bad) on commission junction.

Also, if you guys can recommend any other great service like shareasale.

As for our affiliate program, I didn't wish to disclose it earlier so you guys won't think im advertising it, but since you mentioned it.

Our product name is Ad-Eliminator (www.ad-eliminator.com). We have quite a few affiliates right now and we're doing 1:70 with some of them. We're currently replacing our affiliate backend, although if you guys want to advertise it, you're more than welcome to talk to me through IMs or email me.

Hoping to get more feedback from you.

Thanks,
    Sean Miller
    Ad-Eliminator.com
    Email: sean@gescenter.com

Yet another ad remover. You have three choices:
    1. esellerate - their EST system works very well with try-before-you-buy software.
    2. RegNow - very high service fee: 16%/per sale + 20% of affiliate sale. But they have a very very large affiliate list - all members are promoting software products.
    3. clickbank - almost all ad removers use click bank and you need give out at least 50% commission to become one of them.
    I recommend you use both RegNow + clickbank. (a script of regnow can determine affiliate source)

You may want to take a look at Performics as well.

Fred

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Does your program eat affiliate network cookies, block them or flag them in any way?

If your product is not blocking cookies, offer your affliate a free download + upgrade to sign up and promote your products.

My2cents!

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Well I don't know where you came up with the 50% remark but according to what i've seen so far, most spyware removers give out only 25%-30% on clickbank and such.

Not only that we can offer better commissions, but our site also converts better and our software looks WAY better and we've done a great effort on our interface to ensure a sale.

Our current sales tracking system works in a way that your affiliate id is compiled within the setup file. The customer downloads our free scanner, and he can run a quick or a full scan on his PC. When the scan is complete, REAL results are shown of how many spyware and malware related items were found on his PC.

Right now our DB is one of the largest ones among the spyware removal apps, larger than adaware and larger than spybots. We're releasing a newer version on the 15th with many other features such as Live Monitoring, plugin support and more.

But let's get back to the point. You will never miss a sale. Your ID is in every setup file, so you always get the credit.

I'd love to answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks

Oh, and I forgot to answer the cookies question. We do delete cookies, but not all of them.

I dont mind giving a free license to anyone here who wants to test ad-eliminator and see how perfect it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catalyst:
    Does your program eat affiliate network cookies, block them or flag them in any way? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I just downloaded the trial version. After scanning, the program has selected cookies for qksrv.txt and linksynergy.txt and bfast.txt to quarantine. Classified as "Data Miner". Guess it gets rid of network cookies?

If they join CJ, CJ sets the network cookie for us to make commish, the visitor buys the product and runs it, then our CJ cookies for that customer are tossed for any other CJ merchant everytime he scans his system. Or am I looking at this wrong?

Edited to add:
    All it found on my system was cookies. I hit next without choosing quarantine and the message I get is:
    "WARNING: Your Computer is Infected!
    Ad-Eliminator has detected 46 dangerous Spyware, Adware and other harmful Pests on your computer!!"

Geez, didn't know that cookies were THAT dangerous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Right now our DB is one of the largest ones among the spyware removal apps, larger than adaware and larger than spybots. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats how these anti-spyware/adware programs try to outdo each other is to target more "bad stuff" than the others. Part of the way they build their database to make it appear bigger is to target more cookies, including affiliate cookies which are not even sypware. But they sure make you look good to consumers. "look how much bad stuff this program caught."

PS: Ms B taught me this!

I'm not sure how much support you are going to garner from the savvy affiliates on this board. If you kill affiliate cookies, you help to reduce affiliates income and they won't help you gain market share for your product.

If I am wrong about your product I apologize, this is how most programs like yours operate and according to what Linda saw it does appear your program negatively impacts affiliate cookies.

Since affiliate cookies are neither spyware or adware, I guess they fit into your software's category of "Harmful Pests!"

And you want ABW affiliates to help you sell more? There are enough threats to affiliate cookies already without this program.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I dont mind giving a free license to anyone here who wants to test ad-eliminator and see how perfect it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes please.

Edited to added:

Be sure you feel your product can really stand up to the test.

Now I have a question.

I installed the trial version and ran it approximately 45 minutes ago. After I made my last post, I went to my Add/Remove and uninstalled your software.

Why did I just now get a popup asking me to register my download? What was left on my computer that was not removed when I uninstalled it? How do I get rid of it?

Well I just spent the last hour trying to digest this spyware/adware detect-removal tool to basically see if it whacked affiliate cookies. Was seeking anything that had the ease of Adware/Sptbot R&D and the addon features of Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster. The hour was spend not in testing it or looking over the features. It was spent on 2 seperate downloads, 3 installs and un-installs with multiple re-boots to try and get it to come up to the main screen. NO LUCK.

Scanned my system with Norton -Ad-aware and Spybot and all's clean. So the only thing I can say so far is the un-install works fine, it doesn't block/disable competitors or plant partners spyware/adware like some. Oh and the Free trial scan/offer is priced perfectly.

Well, to be honest people. I have placed the cookies removal issue under inspection and we will definately look into (in the very near future, maybe even for the upcoming release) a better way of removing cookies. We are not intentionally removing them in order to hurt affiliates. On the contrary we are all on the same side.

Master Baiter, I did not quite understand which main screen were you trying to reach. Please be more specific on that. We are aware of a few small issues with our software, but they were already amended in the new version that will be released on the 15th.

In regards to Linda's reply about the warning pop up. I've instructed our development team to look into that. I am aware of the warning message, it is making the software convert better and it's only sin ends at aggressive marketing.

If you read our order page, you will notice we're giving out free updates and all the users who had paid for the current version are constantly updated with our new DB and new versions that we keep releasing once or twice a month.

Please tell me if you want a free license to do more testing into the softawre. I'll be more than glad to hand over a key, I just rather not paste it on the forum .

Peace.

There's no better way to clean all these pests by going straight to the source!

I just watch a tv show the other day and it's about vampire bat's! They are multiplying and no matter what you do killing each one of them will not stop them from multiplying, the only way to stop them is to kill the queen vampires and that will stop the blood sucking vampires!
    Guess what? The Queen is stopped (burnt like charcoal! lol...) and no more worry for blood suckers!

Too many smart people and very tech genius can make us some really cool software that really helps consumers without hurting ton's of peoples bottom line! If someone do that I bet they will make millions and feel really good and proud!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In regards to Linda's reply about the warning pop up. I've instructed our development team to look into that. I am aware of the warning message, it is making the software convert better and it's only sin ends at aggressive marketing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She's not talking about the marketing pop on the site. She uninstalled the program and it is still asking her to register, so she is afraid that means the program did not install completely and left code on her machine.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Please tell me if you want a free license to do more testing into the softawre. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, yes please. You can pm me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast