I represent a merchant and I am trying to decide which network to join. Any input from the Abestweb community will be greatly appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    If you're interested in a network that is interested in ethical behavior among its affiliates, you might look at ShareaSale as they so far haven't encouraged slimy activities within their program. Since you're posting this in the Linkshare forum you must be considering them. Read this thread before deciding.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    I totally agree with Northern Studio.

Bob

ABestWeb Members are in love with Share-a-sale, mostly because of the consolidated checks (not to mention that share a sale cuts the checks) and lack of parasites on the network. Kowabunga is a great tracking solution that will be more cost effective in the long run for you.

I know that you want to cater to the affiliates, and you should since they are going to be driving your sales, but don't be shortsighted in your selection. In other words, a major benefit of kowabunga over share a sale is the fixed fees per month. Savings which you could pass on to affiliates.

So, my recommendation is kowabunga. You can pass on the money you save in higher commissions. Just make sure you run a parasite free site and cut your checks in a timely manner.

Thank you for the input so far. So another question I thought of with the mention of 'Parasite free' is:

How would you feel if we worked with with 2 networks - one which did not except parasites (Shareasale.com) and one that did (CJ/Linkshare)?

Thanks again for all your input, it is very helpful.

It's my understanding that you can't work with Linkshare and another affiliate network. Something in the contracts.

As for setting up shop in 2 network... maybe down the road, but it's best to take "baby steps" when your first starting an affiliate program from the ground up.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Linkshare won't let you run 2. I am not sure about CJ.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Hi merchxplor and welcome to ABW. Since you say your are representing a Merchant, there are a few questions that probably should be considered from the Merchant's perspective. Just food for thought and not necessarily requiring a public answer.

* What's the Merchant budget for the affiliate program? Set-up costs, monthly fees, etc.
    * What type/degree of reporting (for the Merchant) are they wanting. Different Networks have different degrees of backend reporting for the Merchants
    * What types of creatives is the Merchant wanting to run? Different Networks also have different capacities for these. How many creatives? Do they want to be able to provide a datafeed and/or product catalog?
    * What level and number of affiliates do they expect to be able to reach through the Network?
    * What level of direct communication with the affiliates is the Merchant expecting (again varies by Network).
    * What is the Merchant's own tracking and cart backend system like (compatability with the chosen Network)?
    * If you are considering running through more than one Network, is the Merchant's own system ready to handle to prevent possible duplicate transactions being tracked and need to reversals.

Just some other things to consider.

The answer is actually very simple. Use SAS.

- SAS -
    - NO PARASITES
    - consolidated commissions from all merchants
    - Pays on time every month
    - more responsive: both the network and merchants
    - "make a page" option
    - the products section of a merchant is a lot easier to work with; you can choose one or more and make an entire website in no time with various merchants
    - free datafeeds
    - real time stats
    - links are not blocked by Norton and cookies not targeted by spyware removal programs
    - Almost all affiliates who make much money at this check them for merchants and use them
    - Unimpeachable reputation for honesty
    - Priced on the low side for a good network

What more do you want in a network, anyway?

Of course, ABestWeb Members are in love with Share-a-sale.

What was the question?

Edited to add since this is in the LS forum. Yo, LS! Take a hint!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I never used Shareasale and probably won't until they clean up their own website. It looks like some kid threw the thing together without regards to whether objects appear on the screen or off somewhere to the right of the screen (who scrolls left and right on the web anyways?), whether images load, and all sorts of other unprofessional mistakes that they should have fixed by now.

Good! One less competitor!

BTW the checks are nice and legible!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Well right now at SAS several of my merchants are showing low funds, one is offline..
    I shouldn't have to sit and babysit my links to see if they are gonna be able to pay me or not.

I am almost afraid to promote the SAS merchants for fear that if I sell too much they might run out of money.

Connie:

That's the one thing that really concerns me about SaS. Don't get me wrong, I love it and use it for several important niches, but the low funds/temporarily offline thing causes me to grind my teeth.

Linkshare ... well

@ Connie and Karl,

My fingers didn't type your messages, but they certainly could have. My thoughts exactly. It's time for SaS to grow up and be a real network, play time is over.

I respect what SaS is doing, and they have a lot of good things going for them, but they need to raise the bar a bit to be competitive.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They need my Safehaven network model in order to attract the real honest merchants...not drop shipping affiliates playing wannabee merchants.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mike:

They don't need to replace their model, just tweak the way merchants escrow funds.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey all - if you are looking for any of the Shareasale specific issues to be discussed or resonded to, please post them in the SAS forum. Thanks.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

LOL! Brian, it started here so LS could get a clue!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread