Trusted third party, BS. WildTangent is a parasite. This is another reason not to use Linkshare! Based on Adaware and Spybot WildTangent is spyware.

ABW Ambassador
    Jason do you have any proof of this? I have talked with wildtanget previously and at the time, their software contained no third-party products.

Here is from their site.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you download our Web Driver software it will gather and store information about your computer that is specifically related to the functioning of the Web Driver software, such as processor type or the presence or absence of graphics accelerators and the related software drivers. The Web Driver software will not gather information from your computer about you, such as general application software you have installed or personal data that you store on your computer. The Web Driver software will report this configuration information to us on a regular basis. We use this information to identify your system's capability and to optimize the delivery of content to the Web Driver. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is this parasitic?

You could argue spyware, but many companies now do something similiar is a very controlled, limited way. Valve software's steam is another example (which will be required for Half-life 2 to authenticate).

Chet

optimize the delivery of content to the Web Driver. If I"m not mistaken they use popups for advertising. as My roomates laptop was infested with popups even when he wasnt in a browser. that too me is considered a parasite as popups come up on my site and i lose traffic. Am I not right? I removed Wild Tangent from my roomates laptop couple weeks ago and the popups were gone.

This same Wildtangent comes with the new AOL im upgrade. There is no manual remove for it unless I missed it. I noticed this a month ago when adaware and spybot wanted to remove it
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Adware comes with the new AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)? Are you sure? Have to upgrade later and check it out.

WildTangent isn't adware or a parasite more spyware but the info you are sending them is your system info and if you use them via a 3rd party like AOL you send them your browsing habbits etc. They don't push popups of any kind I have it installed. AdAware use to pick it up as spyware but in the latest definitions they removed it from the spyware list. And there is a Manual install to remove the driver.

AIM doesn't come with WildTangent driver. However to play the AIM Games you must download it.

WildTangent is developed by an ex microsoft employee who worked in their DirectX department.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    WildTangent is not adware as Mikey The Geek stated. Their driver has been used by some adware companies (just like some adware companies use MS files) and some spyware removal apps have labeled WildTangent because of this.

The spyware removal apps are far from accurate at times in what they are labeling. Heck our cookies are spyware/adware..just becuse they are saying so doesn't mean they are correct.

ABW Ambassador
    Look for this one also, it gets installed with AIM
    Viewpoint Media Player
    Zone Alarm caught this one for me. Viewmgr trying to call out

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...ril-2003/2.php

Cazzie

Thanks Kellie
    for the info... Glad to see you are feeling better also.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

cazzie AIM installs Viewpoint for the Video Conferencing. It's not Spyware or adware. But it gets labeled as such because other 3rd party companies install viewpoints driver with their adware spyware

Spybot also thinks LinkSynergy (ie LinkShare) is a "known threat"

They seem to flag any ad-type company

I notice I can't remove WildTangent icon/manager from my control panel window. All I can do is tell it not to do anything.

I stopped updating the aol Instant Messenger when I clicked on details and saw WeatherBug in there.

I've started using GAIM on my open source computers and will put it on my Windows machines soon. It allows one application to handle both aol/cserve IM and MSN IM at once and possibly others.

I now Use http://trillian.cc/ which handles AIM,yahoo,msn,icq and others in one application, no advertising or popups in there application, and it's free. So nice to now that it doesnt even have adware companies,spyware attached to it at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herb Ô¿Ô¬:
    I notice I can't remove WildTangent icon/manager from my control panel window. All I can do is tell it not to do anything.

I stopped updating the aol Instant Messenger when I clicked on details and saw WeatherBug in there.

I've started using GAIM on my open source computers and will put it on my Windows machines soon. It allows one application to handle both aol/cserve IM and MSN IM at once and possibly others. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats weird. I uninstalled mines the other day and the control panel icon went away with it. You might want to try updating to the latest version and trying to uninstall again.

Bad thing about Trillian is its buggy and the support is horrible. I use to worship it but then I grew wise.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread