Hello all,

I'm old to the web but new to the affiliate thing! I have a question. When dealing with affiliate programs are you allowed to have your own shopping cart and receive commissions for the sale? Or are affiliates only for linking to merchant websites?

If you cannot have your own shopping cart then how would someone sell merchant products using their own shopping cart and making a profit?

Welcome all answers. In advance thanks for the replies.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Any affiliate easily can have a shopping cart program for selling their inventory or drop ship 3rd part items. No conflict or restrictions at all.

Putting a merchant datafeed into your own cart and passing yourself off as a merchant could get you 10 years in jail.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks EcomCity.com

So if I decide to use my own shopping cart (like 2CheckOut or PayPal), then how do I get credited for the sale or have the link that is provided by LinkShare and the alikes follow thru and track my sale?

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
    I'm currently developing my site...it's coming out pretty well, but right now I have each product and/or link pointing to the LinkShare (and others) provided link. These links go directly to the merchant page for the customer to Buy from there. I do not want the customer to leave my site at all. I want the customer to buy from my site and see products from my site without knowingly involoving the merchant. I don't pose or claim to be a merchant nor do I try to steal sales or anything else unlawful but I want the customer to continue to utilize my site without knowing the link relationship I have with the merchant. I feel this would have the customer continue to return to my site for future purchases.

Again all is welcome. Thanks in advance for the answers.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't pose or claim to be a merchant <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If you handle the transaction and collect the money yourself then YOU ARE the merchant.

You can't pretend the customers are buying from you and then not be around for the follow up.

To do business as you suggest is to become a drop shipper, like Mike said. And that makes YOU the person responsible for processing payment, placing the order with the shipper you have choosen and dealing with customer service et. al.

There are a lot of threads about doing just this if you have a look around.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    That type of activity you outlined decribes to a T the activities of a Phisher site using a merchant datafeed. You have neither the right nor the stature to back up a single sale placed within your sites cart. You want to fool the customer to raise your status.

Senerio for the huge Federal and Interpol cybercrime units this morning. Phisher sites processing shooping cart orders with merchant feeds and selling off the CC and Identity theft information to crime rings.

I have a MIVA.com shopping cart as part of my sites since 1998. On occassion I did put computer related products in there for sale as a tax ID# reseller for the drop shippers. They all in various forms shafted me on sales commissions so I canned all of them. People got their purchases ...only I didn't get paid. Find a commission based sales coordinator and your asking for the same treatment from any 3rd party.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks guys!

I think I have a clearer understanding. What I'm trying to accomplish falls in the realm of drop-shipping and I guess this will have to wait for now, because I don't know any drop-shippers...so I'll be doing my research.

EcomCity.com,
    I don't want you thinking I'm trying to mislead my customers or be mischevious, but I would like my site to present the most professional presence as well as encourage customers to return to my site to make purchases. Please don't mistake my intentions, they are geniune.

Thanks for the answers guys and if anyone else has anything else to add please feel free...I'll continue to check back regularly and will respond accordingly.

amazon.com allows you to have your own shopping cart via XML or web services. they have a remote shopping cart feature so you can do it two ways.

i've been using amazon.com to keep customers on my web site until they check out. restriction is that you sell only amazon.com merchandise (everything you ever need they probably have). US stuff works great. european countries too. however japan does not work well.

you can check out their affiliate pages. let me know if you cannot find the links - home page on the bottom has link to 'associates'.
    <font size="2">Get Your <a href="http://www.psp4.us" target="_blank">Sony PSP</a> Now!</font>

http and a telephoto
    They still go to Amazon to check out, that wasn't what the original question was about. There are a number of places that have scripts to keep people on your site until they check out, but they always go to the merchant for payment and realize that they aren't buying from *your* site
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread