We are very new to all this and concerned that something isn't right with our conversions or tracking. I've e-mailed LinkShare support but have not received any sort of reply. I don't know if at this point we have enough impression and click-thru's to make a judgement call.

I hope I'm not breaking protocol in posting this report. Since LinkShare will not respond to my inquiry, I thought I'd post our LinkShare report to see if these numbers should convert according to what's norm, if there is one.

Basics
    Impressions 36,152
    Click-Throughs 1,747
    Click/Imp. Ratio 4.83%
    Orders 0
    Order/Click Ratio 0%
    Sales $0.00

Charles

YOU can expect a conversion rate of less then .05% for your website...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

15 years and counting
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've e-mailed LinkShare support but have not received any sort of reply. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Don't worry, they are not targeting you. They just don't care for their customers. Don't expect any answer soon.
    Just read ABW, if you're looking for answers, by the way, welcome
    Click-Throughs 1,747, no sales: It's not normal

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my2cents:
    YOU can expect a conversion rate of less then .05% for your website... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

.05% = 1 sale in 2000 clicks

I think this site should generate much more than that.

A "call to action" like "click here to buy", "click for more details" etc. will generate more click-throughs and convert to more sales.

I just clicked 5 links on your site and 3 of them for linens and things were out of stock that can also be a reason for no sale.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Just curious, how do your non-LinkShare merchants convert? I see you have a few.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    I've got no idea what's normal, but here's a few figures for one account - very, very tiny site, few pages

Merchant A
    Impr 3414
    CT 229
    C/I 6.71%
    Orders/Items 7/15
    O/C 3.05%
    Sales 247.80
    Comm 14.87

Merchant B
    Impr 610
    CT 290
    C/I 4.75%
    Orders/Items 3/10
    O/C 1.03%
    Sales 312.50
    Comm 21.13

Merchant C
    Impr 2874
    CT 106
    C/I 3.69%
    Orders/Items 1/2
    O/C .94%
    Sales 23.40
    Comm 1.87

Others have CTR of ranging from 2% to 22.22% with no action, but really not enough impressions on those to have anything.

Something doesn't seem right with that, is that anywhere near what's supposed to be normal?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Click thrus and sales for an average merchant that people in here seem to use for guidelines is 1 in 100

Obviously merchant A is doing better than that
    and deserves more of your attention
    I use some of the lower or non converting similar to c merchant and take them in and out of my sites so as to find more that convert better or similar as merchant A does

Won't happen overnight, but at least you are building your site up with more merchants who convert better as times goes along.

We all have duds on our sites, its just sometimes, and I have been one in the past, who puts on the blinders and leaves the duds on for too long, just because we think they are a good match.
    I am in midst of going through my merchants and doing this change over more frequently.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    To Charles:

On looking at your site, this is a site that would possibly lend itself to "browsers" looking for ideas. So, you probably won't get the $5 per every 100 click-thrus that "buyers" would give you. You should get a sale every few hundred to 1000 clicks though. My question still remains: Are the other non-LinkShare merchants you represent converting at all?

Oh, and by the way, this is a great site you have with a lot of good content.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It is possible for even a mature site like mine to get 1438 clicks from LS merchants (Overstock the majority) without a single sale since the 24th of October. Last year with less clicks I did 272.00 in sales commissions.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

We have only a few merchants thru Cj, mainly because the dad blame $&^(*&$ so & so cancelled our account with them when we were first starting out, with about 2 visitors a day for no sales. So we had to go in and take all our CJ merchants out and re-apply. What a Pain! We are getting some sales thru Performics. Nothing thru LinkShare and nothing thru SAS. Altho we have only 3 or 4 merchants thru SAS. LinkShare seems to have the type of merchants we're looking for opposed to the others.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Charles,

Welcome.

First, there is no NORMAL. Different sites convert differently for different reasons.

My unsolicited opinion - which you are free to disgard is...

Your site is designed to attract looky-loos, who may or may not be buyers.

For example, you're attracting someone who may or may not be buying a lamp - and you offer them some general lamp information ("content") and then politely offer some lamp store merchants where they can continue to be lookie-loos.

Bottom line is there is nothing on your site someone can BUY (read - make a commission on)

I'll pick Plow and Hearth randomly as an example:

Contact Joey at Plow and Hearth or check out their links - and rather than just telling people they are a "secure business partner" post a coupon that expires (give them a reason to buy - and buy NOW - rather than look-loo!)

Pick a product!!! Ask Joey what his best seller is. Post it on your Lighting page with a short description. If the visitor likes it AND you're giving them Plow and Hearth's 10% off coupon - and they click on it - you'll have a much better shot at earning a commision then just sending them off to P&H as a "courtesy"!!

It's pre-selling. The more targeting and pre-selling you can do on your end, the higher the conversion rate will be.

Finally, you have a lot of space on the right hand side for 120x600 banners. Find a DRM that you don't have to update (maybe a seasonal banner, or a rotating sale banner - many choices available)

And drop SEARS! They don't convert for anyone!! (Sorry, a little persoanl venting there!!)

Affiliate Manager
    With no further ado (thank you for the introduction Billy Kay) – Hey Charles how’s it going?

I would be more than happy to provide you with a list of best sellers in any of our different categories if you like.

As for Coupon codes to attract prompt purchasing behavior – PHASHIP $4.95 shipping will be live until Nov 14th and PHAHOL $10 off $75 will be live until Nov 30th.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to follow up with my through email: jporterfield2@1800flowers.com

Have a good one,
    Joey

oooooh -a little free advice and I'm placed in an akward position!!

(Close your eyes Joey)

Charles, Norm at Silvo Home and Garden - also on Linkshare - also runs a great program!!!

Mental Note: Next time use a GENERIC example - or at the least put my recommendations out to bid!!

Affiliate Manager
    Ha ha -

No worries Billy - It's good to hear about other good LinkShare merchants. I'll have to keep a closer eye on them now,

Best,
    Joey

Charles,

One more recommendation, and I'd have covered all my bases, and I'm out of this thread!

Rugman.com at CJ has a great AM, and they also offer content, like how a Persian rug is made, how to clean it, etc - stuff that fits your site to a Tee! As an added bonus, the AM (liz) has the best Avatar on ABW!! (Which is how I choose my merchant partners)

Good luck to you...
    Billy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Good way to eliminate pushing doggy non-converting parasite riddled LS merchants this Holiday season is to look at the Payment history report.

Basically most any program run by the internal LS AM firm is 100% parasitic and never pays according to the published terms. You sute won't ever see a check for the likes of Dell.com or the Babyoutlet before Feb-Mar of next year. So if you need Christmas commissions yank your slow pay merchant showcases rather then send them non-returnable traffic and feed the BHO grinches.

Dell hasn't even paid august commissions just like last year and year before. They and LS just lie about that one's 30 day payment terms.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Wow Billy - thanks! You're always so kind!

(Hi everyone! )

Thought I should pop in here and reciprocate the good deed by telling you all that Billy's not so bad himself!

Wishing you all a fruitful November,

Thanks Billy & hello Liz. It worked, we just applied!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread