I made a sale worth $25 in commissions in August last year and I got paid for it. In November, the merchant deducted $35 from my account with no explanation. Then I made another sale worth $25 for that particular merchant and my balance shows -$10.

Linkshare and the merchant are NOT answering emails on this issue and the stupid online help thing doesn't work for me, it just doesn't connect. And no, it's not a firewall issue either.

Has this ever happened to any of you? How can they deduct MORE than the original commission?

I am totally pissed!

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Catwoman -

Please forward me information about this issue. I'll make sure my team member who works with the merchant gets an answer to your question.

Sarah
    abw@linkshare.com

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply, I just sent you an email with all the details at the email you posted.

Thanks!

Catwoman

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Catwoman,

Same thing happened to me with Hostave last year.

They paid me 25 and then deducted me 35.

I contacted the merchant on 7/10/03 - never heard back.

(I just checked the Linkshare mail system and it's still there - still waiting for a response!)

I simply pulled all their links - reverse more than they pay and merchant who doesn't respond), so they'll never get the extra $10.

Well Billy, I am not about to drop this matter. It's ridiculous at best!

I've had one website hosted with them for more than 3 years, now I have 2, and they always provided good support and customer service, and I sure could never complain about their uptime, which is nearly 100%. So I was more than happy to promote their affiliate program.

But this garbage about reversing sales and charging more than the original commission is really rubbing me the wrong way. And ignoring me makes it even worse! If that's the way they are, this will be enough for me to change host for my own sites and say the hell with HostSave!

If this isn't solved before the end of the week, their links are coming down and they will never get the other $10 from me either. Plus I'll be finding a new host for my two websites that are currently hosted with them. They will lose a hell of a lot more than $10 with me because I was just about to host a new one with them. HA!

Pissing people off is the best way to make them seek the services of your competition. They will get quite a review on my website as well. For three years I praised them, now the story is about to take a different turn. Unless they come through...

Obviously, Sarah was a big help on this issue because I received a reply from LS this morning that they are "looking into it and have contacted HostSave about it". They have one more day to solve the problem.

Yes, I am pissed about this!

Catwoman

Catwoman,

I can't believe it's the same company, with the same problem - from a year ago!!

The DAY I submitted a site to all the search engines, HostSave suffered a "Denial of Service" attack. The search engines couldn't access the site and of course it wasn't indexed.

I contacted support - no response.

Bout a week later, they emailed to tell everyone of the attack and that are sites were back up, but email hasn't been resumed.

All of my aff links are done thru forms which require the email and cgi servers to be working. So now that I had visitors, but they couldn't go to any merchants, or contact me.

I contacted support.

FIVE days later they respond with they'll investigate the email issue.

I respond with the below email:

Tom,

1. No it still doesn't work.

2. We couldn't wait FIVE days for you to leisurly get back to us when our customers couldn't access our site or contact us.

3. We've already moved everything to a more reliable and more responsive ISP.

Bill Knoblach

They misunderstood the above email and replied "OK, we cancelled your account"

Aargh! The new ISP wasn't ready, (yes all the files were moved, but all the links had to be changed so they weren't referencing HostSave's cgi server), plus there's a few days of propagation - all about another week without anyone being able to see the site.

Then I get the reversal: "Customer" cancelled. And of course, it was $10 more than they paid me to begin with!!!

Even odder, they gave me a partial refund as a user, but deducted me the full reversal as an affiliate. (Plus $10)

And as stated, I contacted them, no response.

Billy and CatWoman,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing with the HostSave affiliate program. I must take responsibility for you not getting responses. I did not show any e-mails regarding these issues, but that still does not excuse either situation. Please feel free to contact me directly and we can discuss fixing both of your issues.

John,

I'm only guessing - but it's a logical guess.

You USED to pay $25 commission.
    Then you raised it to $35
    You just sent us an email yesterday saying you're raising it to $50

My guess it that when my account was cxl'd, they applied the current commission rate for the reversal - which at that moment was $35

also... thanks Sarah

Put 2 and 2 together...

Catwoman tells you there's a problem...

Little while later a "Newbie" signs on and he's the AM for Hostsave...

Strange coincidence? Or Sarah's doing a good job?

I'll opt for the latter.

And I don't praise Linkshare employees too often!!

Billy,

You are correct. The change from $25 to $35 happened before I was in charge of the affiliate program so I am still finding some of those situations and trying to fix them as the come up.

As for the newbie status, I do want to say I've actually been "lurking" on the board for a little while just to see what affiliates were saying and feeling. Part of that “lurking” help us make the choice to do the flat increase to $50, as well as increase for the specs on both HostSave and WinSave.

But do praise Sarah, as she did have this post brought to my attention. :-)

John,

I sent my email to both addresses to be on the safe side.

As I said in my email, it is very unfortunate that something like this had to be made public before the issue got addressed. I'm not very patient, and after a couple of days of no reply, I get a little agitated. Give it a few more days of one way correspondence and I get nasty!

Unlike Billy, my experience with HostSave as a web host has been extremely good.

When I signed up with my first website, they took me by the hand, I was 100% green newbie at choosing a webhost, they gave me step by step instructions on how to register my domain name and then how to host it. They even told me to wait a few days before signing up because they had a special just around the corner that would save me from paying set up fees or get a free month, I don't remember the details.

Not long after that, I decided to give the autoresponder a shot. Being a newbie at that too, it didn't take long for trouble to find me. Less than 2 days after I set it up, some idiot who spammed my autoresponder filed a complaint AGAINST ME with Spamcop saying I spammed HIM. HostSave emailed me to get MY side of the story. They didn't just cancel my account without asking questions. I had heard horror stories with other hosts about these spamcop complaints. I was very happy that HostSave didn't do that to me. I gave them MY version, and the matter was dropped with no interruption in my service.

One day I started receiving spam from my own domain name?!?!? I contacted HostSave, and a few hours later they emailed me back with "problem solved". A few days go by, no more spam. Then BANG! Spam again from my domain name. I contact HostSave again, then they reply problem solved again. I never received another spam using my domain.

After the first year, I had moved and never changed my address with HostSave. The renewals were sent through snail mail, which I never got. My domain name wasn't renewed and was taken offline. I didn't realize this until I was contacted by an advertiser I used often who told me that my website was not functional and to double check the problem before he ran my campaign. I contacted HostSave and the matter was resolved that same day, domain was renewed, website was back online, and I didn't have to pay a penalty.

Every time I had a question or problem and contacted HostSave, I received a reply in less than 24 hours. My questions have always been answered and problems sovled. I've never had an issue with them in more than 3 years.

I have found their support and customer service to be OUTSTANDING.

But for the last few days, I've been cursing them...

Thanks John for taking care of this. In the future, it would be nice for affiliates to fully be aware of the terms before sales get reversed. When you pay way more in commissions than it costs someone to use HostSave as a host, it would be nice to know how long they have to be customers BEFORE we get deducted. There are no guarantees that they will stay long enough for HostSave to make their money back so sales will continually be reversed if that happens.

Just my thoughts of course...

Thanks again John. I look forward to the problem being solved.

And a MUCH BIGGER THANK YOU TO SARAH! You know how to make things happen girl!

Catwoman

John,

You misunderstood my post...

I made a sale - you paid me the current commission at the time - $25

The sale cxl'd - you deducted me the current commission at THAT time - $35

So there's been a [-$10] floating around in my HostSave sales chart for a year.

BUT, this would only come into play IF I sent you another sale (and you would pay me $10 less than I would expect) - but as I said, I removed all the links, so another sale didn't come.

Instead of deleting the [-10] you credited me with a $10 sale to balance the books - and it generated a commission for me with your NEW commission rate - $50!!!! (My best commission of the day!!)

Here's something affiliates don't say too often: Hey, feel free to reverse the $50!!!

Also, you've shown the type of AM you are and I put your links back up last night.

How odd is this: the HostSave link was added to the site that was supposed to be hosted by HostSave to begin with!! (I'll PM the URL)

Best,
    Billy

Thanks Billy,

I will double check this and see if we can get your account back in order. Thanks for the heads up!!

LOL I got the credit back at $25, not fair! Should have waited another day to double it huh?

All joking aside, I know in my reports, it says that it was a $10 sale but generated $25 in commissions. I think this will be fixed when payday comes to reflect a balance of 0 rather than having $15 in the bank. That's the way it should be anyway.

Catwoman

John,

Did you get my email yesterday? Need response.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread