Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    A bit back now a new application wiggled its way onto my test computer. While I could see bad behavior going on through affiliate links, I could not identify what the application was. It does not show as a running process in Task Manager, was not being detected by spyware removal apps and was not having to request access through my firewall.

After a bit to do and some help from a antispyware company, the culprit .dll file was isolated and the application identified as Veevo.

This software was claiming at the time with the bundle it came with on their web site to be adware and spyware free. There was basically no EULA with the install from the software I got from download.com, certainly no mention of adware.

It does not produce any type of pop up. Rather it will do an automatic redirect in the browser through their affiliate link on anything that comes through the browser window to one of their Merchant partners (affiliate link, organic Merchant traffic, etc). They have around 1400 Merchant partnerships (or did have I should say). It operates in such a way to go almost undetected on the end users computer (ie no outward signs of an infection). It's programmed in such a way to give the appearance on referrer logs that the traffic originated from their web site even though the traffic never even redirects through their servers/site. And again it was not being tetected by spyware removal apps (although I am now seeing a few of them starting to detect it).

I had provided LS with the documentation on this application that I had at the time (I'm still testing and keeping an eye on it) as well as given some Merchants the heads up since the partner list was so extensive and the behavior so blatantly noncompliant by any standards.

An AM called me yesterday asking for assistance on some other questionable activity they are seeing in their program who happened to be someone I had given the heads up to on Veevo. They informed me they had received email notification from LS that Veevo had been terminated from LS. Not one to always take something at just a word for things like this, I fired up their software again and have gone to numerous LS merchants without seeing any activity although I'm still seeing redirects happening on other Networks. I've gone to their web site and clicked through from numerous LS Merchants and have landed on the LS deactivated error page in each case.

So it would appear that Veevo has indeed been terminated from LS. Kudos to LS for dealing with this one just in time for the holiday shopping season!

I will continue to monitor this application and what they are up to. Have to keep an eye out for those possible multiple accounts.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Man, you are awesome to track this down! I can't thank you enough for all you do for all of us.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Awesome work Kellie, thanks for protecting all of us from people like these.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ABW Ambassador
    As so many have already said. Thank you so much for this spectacular find.

15 years and counting
    From most merchant agreement:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why Join XXXXXX Affiliate Program?

Earn commission for Each Sale.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We all know it's not TRUE.
    Thanks Kellie

ABW Ambassador
    Way to go Kellie!

I can't help but wonder how long it will take other networks to take action and.... if they will. Keep us posted!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Great find Kellie Now I know where to look on several client systems that did make purchases this month from my links. I cleaned their systems earlier this month, as best I could, with several of these persistant B-a-HO's bundled with some virus that blocked Adware -Norton -TrendMicro's "housecall" and SpyBot S&D from updating. They thanked me by buying some Christmas gifts for families and employees from my links. None showed up in 3 networks reporting. Bet these Veevo and SafeguardProtect.com thieves were the culprets as I did see ... windowsupd1.exe running as a strange windows task.

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/s...ardprotect.asp info on this bogus spyware/adware removal tool

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=UTF-8&q=Veevo

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...feguardProtect

WOW 1400 merchants on 4 networks get raped in the pocketbook by this hoax. Wonder which network paid affiliates for infestation fees on these perps?

To help Ms.B and others detect and identify the new spyware/adware perps I'd recommend http://www.spynet.com/outbreaks.aspx
    This site works together with the best popup blocker -spam filter and Adware/spyware software company out there www.giantcompany.com I'll put this one on my own Christmas gift list and advise all ABWers to join their affiliate program.... even though it means your SEO/SEM spamming ways will eliminate my commission income.

I recommend Linkshare, and the other networks cutting checks to this operation, forward the cancelled checks to their local Cybercrime units for money trail investigations. The whois data is blanked and these type operators have multiple domains and similar BHO products to rape fellow affiliates pocketbooks and pilfer commissions from unsuspecting merchants. Dropping this thief without getting to their stealth duplication and copycat player partners is foolhardy.

Considering Overstock probably got whacked by these 2 Adware operators I'd suggest they investigate ....
    SafeGuard Protection Suite
    3214 N University Ave #221
    Provo, UT 84604
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks for looking out for everyone!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    TY Kellie, good job.

And thank you LS for hopping to it.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Ms. B.

Do you use an application that tells you what processes are running on your machine? I use Techfacts98, but that's because I am also running win98 (cool huh? heheh...) I'm joking

Anyway, it tells me things (more things) than the "ctrl-alt-del" doesn't, like what executables and processes are running (not all of the executables that are running on your machine are shown with that), what dll's are loaded, and what processes they are associated with. It also has a more powerful ability to "kill" a running application (though not all).

Anyway, just curious. I have it to help me track down crap like that mentioned above.

Fred

Bravo Kellie AND Linkshare!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

LS may have had these guys on their radar when I sent what I had over, but they definitely deserve a round of applause for taking the action that they did. They asked if I would send over anything I was currently working on, I of course said yes and they took action. I'll never complain about that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Keep us posted! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is going to be a one stop place both on ABW and on AFP where such will be reported. For people who are here already and looking for information it will be at their fingertips. It will be on AFP for those who have not found ABW yet. I know the AFP site is pretty sparse at the moment with content as I've been spending most of my time in testing and developing. But I now have someone to assist me with that end of things, so you'll start seeing more information flowing over the next weeks with a lot of the information duplicated here.

@Mike: Yes they do also have those products on the SafeGuardProtect.com site. That's not the application I got the install from though. I do have those products on my list to test to see what they may be up to also. I found the SafeGuardProtect stuff through their application. Watch also for file name changes (not the windowsupd1.exe file but the .dll files). I caught a file name change once. GiantCompany does do a better job at acurrately naming the associated files with the correct program. I've seen some really bizarre associations being made by some of the other major removal companies (like saying a topmoxie file belongs to some other application). I can add their software to those I'm currently testing to report on which ones are detecting what applications. I had asked in Midnight Cafe a while back which ones folks wanted me to test but didn't get too much feedback.

@Fred: I've been using something else, but I'll give that a look and see if it provides more/better info. If it will work on the Windows95 I'm using. Thanks! A better ability to 'kill' would also be great. Some of them are pretty dang persistent and it's just an added pain to have to do the SafeMode thing.

I sure hope they're paying you for all your trouble Ms. B
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Great follow up Kellie, good to see some of these people getting the termination they deserve.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'd love to see Ms.B seek out a suite of spyware/adware, spam amd popup software we can safely promote at ABW. Be nice to know if SafeguardProtect.com has a affiliate network sponsor for their Malware. So many of the software companies pushing these popular S/W goodies are just adware/spyware perps themselves or BLOCK & KILL network sales tracking cookies by default.

I've asked a few anti-detect S/W packages, who post here, but there answers are not definitive. Smoke & Mirrors spin implying they all have some hoop/jump our shoppers can perform to let our sales record if they follow instructions. 99% check off the defaults and sure don't know the network cookie names to unblock.

Love Ms.B, Ben and Poon to find one viable package that has a indy or network program we can pressure the developers to keep network spyware cookies seperate from network tracking cookies. To help Ms.B and others detect and identify the new spyware/adware perps I'd recommend http://www.spynet.com/outbreaks.aspx
    This site works together with the best popup blocker -spam filter and Adware/spyware software company out there www.giantcompany.com I'll put this one on my own Christmas gift list and advise all ABWers to join their affiliate program.... even though it means your SEO/SEM expert ways will dilute my commission income. I'd still make money from my visitor links.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Great job Kellie! Keep it up

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Forget the free parasite t-shirt Kellie,

you should get a parasite condo or parasite boat!!

Billy, I have a pware tshirt and it's not a parasite boat but a parasite pirogue for this gal. See pic of my latest parasite patrol....

I must say kelli, that shirt fits you VERY well.
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Geez,

Compare this pic with the "little shrimp" family pic you previously posted and all i can say is...

you've filled out nicely!

(If there's a little happy face guy that slaps me in the face, go for it!!)

or... another direction...

sorta' makes you want to "be in bed with parasites"...

I got more you know!!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Good on getting a parasite booted!

As for the pic...Photoshop?

I see a few changed elements...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outstanding job Kelli...

Shine the light on them and the roaches run...
    Maybe you should get a shirt with a scurrying roach... lol
    Thanks for all of your hard work...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Hi Kellie

Thanks for the lovely photo it's nice to see you again, I see you are sporting a new hair do since our New York meeting

All I can say is what has been said by many before, thank you very much for all the good work you are putting in especially on the parasites issue, and even better you have got Linkshare to take notice and listen and even take action on your words. All we need now is CJ and Performics to listen then we will be on the way to keeping our earnings in our own pockets.

Thank you so much I am so proud to know you and be able call you a friend.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Great going!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    He He, nice pic indeed

Hey Billy I think she may want to use this one on us males oggling pics

"the ol' nut kick icon"

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread