Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Does anyone know any way to open up the new merchandiser files once I download them to my computer?

I always open them up and manipulate them to fit my site before using them. With the new .lmp file format I can't find a way to do this.

All the datafeed is useless for me now.

Does anyone know of a program I can use to open these up?

I used to unzip them, then open them up in excel and do what I wanted to the file, then save it, webmerge it and upload it.

TIA!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Ignore the .lmp. Just "get" a file like before with .gz extension. It will call a perl script and get you the file just like before. Directory list shows .lmp which is basically a like link to a perl script. Old method to get file still works. Linkshare's email was not very clear.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I usually just upload the file and open it with csv. But with these new files it won't let me upload it and there's no just gz version

I don't upload the whole file to my server.

On a lot of data feeds, I only use bits and pieces and for what I do, these new files do not work at all.

I would have to re-work my whole site to use them the way Linkshare apparently assumes EVERYONE uses them. I can't do that - especially this time of year.

LinkShare, please give us the regular zip file version back also.
    ~Michelle

Wasn't our $250 supposed to cover all the maintenance issues? I think they're falling down are their end of the agreement with their new policies.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi ~Michelle,

My Merchandiser Support team asked me to post the following information:

In order to streamline the LinkShare Merchandiser file exchange process, we implemented a new process that was rolled out on November 15, 2004.

In your affiliate FTP account, you will notice files ending in ".lmp" instead of ".gz". The ".lmp" extension represents functions and not actual files and you should not attempt to download them.

Although the file with the ".gz" extension may not be visible in the FTP directory, you will still be able to download them by using FTP commands such as the following example:

get 802_112_mp.txt.gz (for the text file version)

Please note that this function only works with the "get" command and will not work with the "mget" command in your script.

For questions or further information, please contact us at merchandiser-a@linkshare.com

The problem is I am not using a script. I download the files using WSFTP, so I don't have the option of using "get".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LinkShare Moderator:
    Hi ~Michelle,

My Merchandiser Support team asked me to post the following information:

In order to streamline the LinkShare Merchandiser file exchange process, we implemented a new process that was rolled out on November 15, 2004.

In your affiliate FTP account, you will notice files ending in ".lmp" instead of ".gz". The ".lmp" extension represents functions and not actual files and you should not attempt to download them.

Although the file with the ".gz" extension may not be visible in the FTP directory, you will still be able to download them by using FTP commands such as the following example:

get 802_112_mp.txt.gz (for the text file version)

Please note that this function only works with the "get" command and will not work with the "mget" command in your script.

For questions or further information, please contact us at merchandiser-a@linkshare.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    ~Michelle

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Yes I have the same problem also

I received a reply back from LinkShare and here is what they said.

If you have WSFTP Pro, it offers the option for "RETR" which is similar to the GET command.

Or you can use MS-DOS.

Open your DOS window and follow these directions.

Access the FTP server with this command with “ftp server_name”

Enter your username when prompted

Enter your password (case sensitive) when prompted

Type binary if the account isn’t already in that mode

Type get "filename"

I tried the MS-DOS way and it didn't work for me. I can get logged in but as soon as I use the get command I get the following message:

Connection closed by remote host.

I sent and email back explaining the problem, but got an auto reply back that support will be out of the office until the 26th, so I guess I will have wait until then.

Maybe this info will help someone else though.
    ~Michelle

Michelle, I struggled with this too and it works if you ftp using the command prompt. After logged in, type "binary" and hit enter then type "get filename.txt.gz" and it will get the file. You must first switch to binary or the file will be corrupt. Also, when using get, make sure NOT to have the .lmp, just the .gz ending. Still don't have it automated though. I use CuteFTP Pro and can't get it request the file like LS says. Give this a try, it's slow but will work for now.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xandman:
    Michelle, I struggled with this too and it works if you ftp using the command prompt. After logged in, type "binary" and hit enter then type "get filename.txt.gz" and it will get the file. You must first switch to binary or the file will be corrupt. Also, when using get, make sure NOT to have the .lmp, just the .gz ending. Still don't have it automated though. I use CuteFTP Pro and can't get it request the file like LS says. Give this a try, it's slow but will work for now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have CuteFTP on my machine also.

How do I use the command prompt? I can't find it.

TIA!
    ~Michelle

There a couple ways you can use it. If you have a directory where you keep all of your feeds (local) you can copy the cmd.exe file to that directory and then just doulbe click it. You can also go to Start&gt;Run and type in cmd and hit enter. Then enter cld (change local directory) to go to the directory where your feeds are.

When the command prompt opens, enter "ftp aftp.linksynergy.com" and hit enter. Then you put in your username and hit enter and then your password.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xandman:
    There a couple ways you can use it. If you have a directory where you keep all of your feeds (local) you can copy the cmd.exe file to that directory and then just doulbe click it. You can also go to Start&gt;Run and type in cmd and hit enter. Then enter cld (change local directory) to go to the directory where your feeds are.

When the command prompt opens, enter "ftp aftp.linksynergy.com" and hit enter. Then you put in your username and hit enter and then your password. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I think I am lost. Are we talking about using Command Prompt in a MS-DOS window or on CuteFTP? If it is on CuteFTP, then I don't know where to to even start.

If you are talking in a DOS window, then I follow you and that is what I did. I logged on, it let me in, I switched to binary, then used get (file name) and that is when I get the Connection closed by remote host message.
    ~Michelle

I'm talking about the md-dos window. Still didn't get CuteFTP figured out yet, too busy adding products right now.

Anyway, something doesn't sound right. Are you running Norton Security by chance? If so, turn it off and try again. I had some weird things happening with Norton so I finally got tired of it and switched to McAfee. Ever since, no problems with FTP, SSH, scripts on pages now work ok.

It seems the LS site is ok since it lets you login and switch to binary. Here's what I get after I login:
    ftp&gt; binary
    200 Type set to I.
    ftp&gt; get xxx_xxxxxx_mp.txt.gz
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /home/upload/upload
    iser_file.pl.
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 1091720 bytes received in 1.70Seconds 641.06Kbytes/sec.

If you aren't running any firewall and still have this problem, you may have to ask LS for help. Also, try another computer just to rule out your pc.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread