I have tired to read through the very informative thread about cookies, and I admit it is confusing to someone just trying to make a living as a web publisher. Me..

The best I can tell is that there are problems, using cookies, in giving proper credit to the publisher for the traffic they have generated in behalf of the Merchant. Yet at this time it is the only method available for the publisher to do business with the Merchants.

Tough scenario. As a publisher it has given me reason to think about dropping all affiliate relationships, and monitize traffic differently. What is the sense of sending traffic away from a site if you are not being properly compensated?

My question is anyone aware of the publisher and merchant agreeing on a “flat rate” for placement rather CPA? This way Companies like LS still provide a service and the Merchant gets the traffic, the publisher gets paid. What is wrong with that.. win/win for everyone.

The publisher receives an incretion order from the Merchant for the space, and places Dynamic Rich Media (DRM) in agree placements on the publisher site(s). The Merchant then has control over their offers, and LS has responsibility to generate tracking, payments and code like the current method.

Seems to me it would solve a lot of these problems discussed about Cookies. Still a Merchant could offer CPA to a new publisher for a test period, or they could offer a carriage fee depending on the publisher.

Any thoughts??

We can see you're a newbie.

Yikole

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi DirtyDawg

I think a lot of merchants do offer slotting fees to affiliate partners on top of CPA deals, but gemerally only the merchants with some serious business going through the channel and that have affiliate partners that they want to 'ensure' quality location.

The bigger an affiliate gets the more they can demand from the merchant and the more the merchant is willing to give.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Chris,

Thanks and I do understand the more demand, but I find if the revenue is right the demand is OK with me.

I have worked with the Ad agents of major merchants directly, and found that the relationship worked out very well.

I have also done some things with affiliate merchants that we both agree to use the Link Share network for tracking purposes only. They would pay a flat monthly fee for incertions, and we could both see the traffic.. not for payment, but only for an idea of usage.

I have liked this arrangement the best mostly because I have never trusted the cookie methods, and there are many benefits to the merchant in receiving traffic other than a quick impulse buy.. I hate relying to an impulse buy to get paid, but I guess if I were a Merchant or Link Share it would be the way to go with the publishers.. resulting in the cheapest form of advertising compared to any media.

I see one of the “full members” Yikole pointed out I am a Newbie, and that I am to this forum, but not to the Web.

Kind Regards

There is nothing wrong with the CPM model, its just strange to ask the question on an affiliate board (affiliate being a CPA model at its core).

CPM models can be cool if you have trustworthy sites and merchants. I might pay for an ad on Yahoo because I can realistically assess what it is worth. I know how many people see it, and I know that it is relative "quality" traffic. I would not, however, pay CPM on most affiliate sites.

For more affiliates on this board, their sites aren't top sites where the value is apparent. A merchant wouldn't pay for CPMs it couldn't guarantee, or at least be sure of.

Not to mention, for MANY affiliates, they can drive transactions better than the bigger sites. Their CPMs are effectively worth more (but they'll never get paid for them). So, if you are that affiliate, why not take the "risk" of going CPA and getting what you are actually entitled to.

My affiliate site couldn't generate 10% the revenue it does now if it was all CPM. And I do get slotting fees, but that is usually after I have shown to drive conversions for related offers. What merchant with half a brain would offer a slotting fee to an untested property with no qualified traffic assessments?

A CPM model just doesn't work for most of these relationships, and this is exactly why the affiliate channel exists..

> resulting in the cheapest form of
    > advertising compared to any media.

Not necessarily true... in fact could be wrong.

Depending on WHAT your CPMs, CPAs, etc. are, any could be cheaper than others. In the end, any smart marketer will calculate effective CPC and effective CPA and effective CPM and compare channel to channel. Depending on the rates in each, any one could be more expensive than others.

If I have to pay 50% commission with CPA, it 'aint cheap.

Jake,

Most of your reference was to CPM VS CPA, but I don't see in my comments where I mentioned CPM.

I did reference getting paid a "flat" rate for placement.

I agree I am not the best communicator,, sorry if my comments were confusing.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread