Hi,
    I guess many merchants do not want affiliates to bid on their Protected Keyword Terms, company names, or trade marks. Do anyone have a list of these merchants?

Thanks,
    John

The merchant generally provides this information in agreement terms presented when you apply to the merchant.

As far as I know, there isn't a specific list of merchants that have this requirement.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

I always plan my advertising without trademarked words/phrases... because if a merchant hasn't issued a list of banned terms... they will..

so why go through the hassle of having to remove these terms..

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I always plan my advertising without trademarked words/phrases <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I wish I have your skills, but company names are hot, and probably more people search for them. For example, Dell computer, 'Dell' is hot.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I don't bid on the terms but I always use them in my anchor text and titles

It would be nice if the merchants who didn't want you to bid on their trademarks would state so boldly on their link page or info page instead of burying it in the agreement which at linkshare is a major pain in the rear to find.

In other cases, I know certain merchants disallow it, yet after reading their agreement I still can't find anything that states that they do since many merchants use the canned linkshare agreement and not one that is customized for their program.

In the end, Google will stop you when you try to add an ad for a company that prevents bidding on their trademarks.

But the process could be much simplier if the merchants would make it clear to begin with.

bargainb,

Target.com does not allow affiliates to bid on "target" or variations thereof. It is stated in our agreement, but I think that you make a good point that we could more clearly communicate this elsewhere in the Linkshare interface. I will make it a point to update our interface (create links page...etc) with this message.

Thanks,

Joseph,

You don't allow affiliates to bid on your Target name, and last time I looked had a .958 cookie duration (or something like that). Any chance you can up the cookie duration so affiliates can get credit where credit is due?
    "Merchant with no cookie get no clicky"

We currently allow affiliates to use our trademark and we don't have any protected keyword terms.

What do you think the advantages and disadvantages are of both?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clicks4Nut'n:
    Joseph,

You don't allow affiliates to bid on your Target name, and last time I looked had a .958 cookie duration (or something like that). Any chance you can up the cookie duration so affiliates can get credit where credit is due? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just checked and am seeing 7 return days. Maybe you should have checked before you posted, so people who aren't with Target but might be interested don't get bad information and pass on a really good program..

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Only slightly off topic...

I was recently offered a free ad before movies are shown at a theater chain - if I gave a lecture at the local college about starting a business online (yea I know! I was planning on giving the lecture in my bathrobe!!)

ONLY thing I could think of was a whole bunch of my "famous" merchant's logos (Sears, Target, Gap, etc) in light print in the background and my website name in bold print in the middle.

But the logistics involved of finding out who would let me use their name or not was staggering.

PLUS, it's guaranteed I'd email 1000 merchants and only 2 would respond!!!

So... a missed opportunity to see young college girls - I mean make more money with all of Las Vegas knowing who I was!!!

Thanks for your post Connie!

We have been at 7 return days for the last few months, prior to that we were at 5.

Hope that clears things up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, I wish I have your skills, but company names are hot, and probably more people search for them. For example, Dell computer, 'Dell' is hot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And not allowed per both the TOC and Google's trademark protection...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeyjake:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, I wish I have your skills, but company names are hot, and probably more people search for them. For example, Dell computer, 'Dell' is hot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And not allowed per both the TOC and Google's trademark protection... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you make more than $200,000 in sales each month consistantly. Then they will work with you to promote their products better, some of which includes being able to use the keyword "Dell". It is difficult to get there with using their allowed keyphrases, but doable...

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I use Dell Computers in my titles and in their link naviagtion

Viking Office Products has revised their terms and conditions and we no longer allow affiliates to bid on our brand term. We spend so much time building our name that when affiliates bid on it, it drives our cost up and up.

I sent an email out regarding this matter today. I will follow Target's lead about adding this to the create link section. Thanks for the good idea.

In addition to keyword protection I have found it difficult to list an affiliate site in a search engine because of the redirect code.

Our site has its own search engine and it would be nice to list our affiliate sites because we do control the top 5 positions. With the current redirects the spider kicks the site out.. so I am sure other search engines do the same unless it is paid inclusion. If we over-ride the system and force the addition of the site it does not have any Meta tags on the affiliate page.. which requires even more work on our end writing a title, description.. ect.

It appears to me the Merchant would like this positioning... helps us and helps them. Also we can enhance the listing with a 88x31 non-animated graphic. Our fill in results come from 13 different engines including Google, Yahoo…

I am sure I am not the only Affiliate site that has this problem.

Strange

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily-Viking OP:
    Viking Office Products has revised their terms and conditions and we no longer allow affiliates to bid on our brand term. We spend so much time building our name that when affiliates bid on it, it drives our cost up and up.

I sent an email out regarding this matter today. I will follow Target's lead about adding this to the create link section. Thanks for the good idea. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't appear as if your policy has been very successful. You still have at least 4 affiliates bidding on your trademarked name.

If there's a sharp lurker anywhere in this forum, this might be a good opportunity to put up a competitor's ad on VOP's search term.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread