I was just talking on the phone with Adam from Overstock.com and he was wondering where the sales I was sending Overstock were from coming from. He checked the website I had listed in my account and didn't see links there. The reason was is that those sales were coming from my other sites that are listed in my "sub affiliates" section. That is of course where we add all of of our sites if affiliates have multiple websites. Adam apparently wasn't able to see my other websites. I've heard that in the past from another Linkshare merchant as well.

With that said - I wonder if merchants I applied to and was rejected never saw the list of all my sites. If they couldn't see all my websites then they couldn't make an accurate decision in the affiliate approval process. If that is the case (which I think it is) then Linkshare needs to do something about it.

I would like to be able to see the list of merchants that rejected me so I can reapply. Permanent disappearance of merchants off the linkshare site when an affiliate is rejected is just plain "dumb" business! At least at CJ we can contact that merchant and reapply. Potential future business between those merchants & affiliates isn't happening the Linkshare way.

If there is a place for merchants to see affiliate's multiple websites - where is it? If there is a place - are merchants/affiliate managers able to easily find it or is it hidden from them in a haystack?

I'd love to hear some feedback from merchants (& Linkshare) regarding this matter.
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

we are given a certain number of letters/spaces in our profiles for our sites. I have been able to pack most of my sites in there but I'm running out of space.

You echo my sentiments very well, wentzco. Especially with the fact that merchants completely disappear if you're rejected. Although if I was rejected (for whatever reason) there's a good chance I wouldn't try again, and just move on to a competitor.

I'd also like the ability (not just with LinkShare) to be able to choose the site, or sub site, to apply with, so merchants know exactly which site you're interested in promoting them on. That saves time on everybody's part, especially the merchant's which you'd think would be a big plus.

Even if they can see your list of sites, who says they even look at all of them? I personally own 11 sites and may list a majority of them as sub sites. I can't imagine merchants checking every single one.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I agree that there should be a better way for Partners to list all their sites.

I do also believe that if you are temp rejected the application option comes back after 30 days.

Only a permenant rejection should result in it never coming back

Both items can be got around by the AM of the program though if you contact them directly.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

There is no doubt that affiliate approval process is flawed on a major basis. I just talked with the affiliate manager at Fredericks of Hollywood who have just moved to Linkshare from CJ. He was only able to see my initial web site (not aimed at lingerie!) that I signed up with Linkshare on and not my other sites. He said he didn't get my sign-up request though he saw my account in the linkshare system. However - I never saw Fredericks any longer in the system. He had to create a new private offer for me to able to sign up. That is "flawed".

I just applied to 5 new merchants yesterday who are direct targeting a niche that I have 2 websites in that niche category. One has already disappeared from the system so I assume once again the merchant did not see all my various sites and disapproved me.

The linkshare affiliate approval system is majorly flawed and it needs to not only be corrected but also affiliates who were once rejected should be able to "easily" reapply to all merchants who had rejected them. Of course - the merchants need to be able to see "all" of the affiliate's domains before they can make an informed decision. (Merchants shouldn't reject affiliates anyways).

The system cuurently is costing everyone money because affiliate-merchant relationships which "should be" can't occur because of the flaws in the sign-up process.
    Larry Wentz

I couldn't agree more Larry. I was recently turned down for a merchant, who only looked only at site number one (not geared for them). What about the other "X" number of sites I have? And of course, the opportunity to re-join is now gone. I will have to relay your "Private offer" option to them, maybe that will work. Right now I can't promote them, and LS will make less money because of it.

The system sounds antiquated.

Fred

I have a similar experience, I applied to one of the merchant and they sent me a regret email stating my site doesnt meet their targeted audience but I can always apply again if the status changes.

Now as I do have few pages that can interest the merchant but I cant re-apply as I cant see them on LS. Now only option at my disposal is try to find that email sent to me and shoot them an email.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It is a bent system. I can see where some merchants might be leary knowing many affiliates lead with a fairly generic shopping site, but often run hundreds of thrown together template throwaway sites for pushing grey area marketing practices.

I get a kick out of some branded Merchants turn EcomCity down. J.C Penny, and some other department store sites, felt a Cybermall wasn't a fit for selling their Cybermall type products. Happens in other networks too. I'm a taxed ID# street level reseller for years with Sony computers and HP computers and they turned me down on their stupid affiliate programs. I even resold their refurbs to other distributors.

There's plenty of other merchants out there.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If you make a page on one of your sites called MyLinkshareSites.htm

and then

make a snapshot of each site with the url, a brief description (like your meta description tag), and one sentence saying how you promote it... that works well.

For example...

couponsRus . com
    this is our coupon site. we promote this heavily thru ppc

idditosRus ,com
    this is one of our datafeed sites. we merge the datafeeds of 3 iddiot merchants and promote it by links on iddiot affiliate boards

BUT...

my current LinkshareSites .htm says

"This blank page is all we'll do for you. Go Away. not interesed"

Yet we STILL get emails from LS merchants claiming we're a "perfect fit"

So, some AMs never even look at your site

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"This blank page is all we'll do for you. Go Away. not interesed"
    Yet we STILL get emails from LS merchants claiming we're a "perfect fit" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL they probably think that means you do parasiteware instead of making regular sites for them!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Those AM's are searching for blackhat playas and SE & browser spammers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Last year a Linkshare merchant posted the terms of my private offer here on ABW.

I contacted Linkshare and asked "Can merchants do that? and specifically asked "Exactly what personal information is made available to merchants that I'm not affiliated with"

Sarah's "team" is STILL investigating this (the "team" is obviosly spread a little thin). I asked if I can NOT supply my REAL information until they find out.

Ebony said yes - so I did.

So... (and this is tongue-in-cheek)

Mike should change his profile to read: I am a bha duper, adwhore, in bed with dma, bho advocate, cookie-stuffing spammer who does telemarketing on the side affiliate (etc)

and see how many "We're a perfect fit" emails you get!!

As a merchant, I can tell you we only see one site when we approve. Most merchants have it on auto approval but more and more merchants are approving manually so we can make sure the site is legit. You wouldn't believe how many people apply and their site is not even live yet.

There are 2 types of rejections. Temporary or permanent. The temp status lets an affiliate apply again. The Permanent won’t let you try again.

I hope everyone found this helpful.

Ok - here are the results so far for those 5 merchants I recently applied to for one niche site. I am still awaiting approval with 1 merchant. 2 merchants approved me. 2 merchants declined me because they didn't see my targeted site - only my original site. I called them up on the phone and they manually approved me by either creating a private offer or by calling their linkshare rep asking how to approve me. What a waste of everyone's time!

I've emailed Linkshare about this problem and haven't heard a thing. It truly makes me "mad" because when I put up a website - I want it to be thorough. I want my visitors to have the best variety of options. I want to create sales for merchants but Linkshare's flawed system stops that process permenantly in many cases. These flaws cause me, Linkshare & merchants loss of income.

Linkshare - "please" correct this problem and correct the damage the system has done by allowing affiliates to reapply to all merchants who once rejected them.

I'm still awaiting either email response or response from Linkshare - please respond.
    Larry Wentz

And now the 5th merchant I applied for has finally decided to reject me. I'll try not to take it personal as I know they can't see that I have sites directly associated with their niche because of Linkshare's screwed-up system. I suppose I'll once again have to get on the phone to talk with their affiliate manager.

I'm PISSED wasting time. I'm ticked that Linkshare has not answered my email. Time to phone Linkshare directly.
    Larry Wentz

If you have multiple sites, you should probably list the most representative one (or a "showcase site" that lists all of your sites) as your primary site. Keep in mind that you're a business. Part of your responsibility is to market yourself to merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

I do market myself to the merchants by adding my sites properly to the subaffiliate site list. Linkshare doesn't provide that info to the merchants which is "their job".

Until they fix the flaw, "their job" should be informing all merchants and affiliates of the flaw. Affiliates then can email affiliate managers when they apply and don't get auto-approval to make sure the affiliate manager views the proper site(s).

However - your idea of a showcase site is probably the best fix at the moment.
    Larry Wentz

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread