ABW Ambassador
    Damn, can't find the email CJ sent out regarding the W-8BEN form. Anyone got a copy of it they want to post here, complete with the fax number and any other info we need to give them.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    documentation for W-8BEN

On June 28th Commission Junction released a publisher initiative, which includes significant enhancements to the Get Links tab and publisher payment functionality.

Designed specifically to enhance your revenue potential from advertiser offers, the publisher initiative works in concert with the recent Account Manager 6.0 release. To learn about the highlights of our publisher initiative, click here.

To take advantage of the publisher payment enhancements included in this release and ensure you receive future payments, Commission Junction only requires that you provide complete and accurate payment information, which enables us to properly process and send your earnings.

Ensure you receive future payments from Commission Junction by doing the following: Provide a tax ID (SSN or EIN) and select a tax classification.

Take a moment now to login at www.cj.com and update this information in the Account tab of the Account Manager.

Submit a W-8BEN form.

Please print, completely fill out, and sign a W-8BEN form found at: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf. To view and print the PDF form you will need a free copy of Adobe Reader (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html). Fax the form to Commission Junction at 805-560-0776 or mail it to our address below:

Commission Junction
    Attn: Publisher Payables
    1501 Chapala Street
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    USA

Now is also the time to take advantage of the convenience and speed of direct deposit. Please go to "Payment Information" in the Account tab and click "Edit" to learn more about and sign up for direct deposit.

Your payment information is kept strictly confidential by Commission Junction, and will enable us to continue providing you with prompt and accurate payment services. If you have any other questions concerning this release, please login to your Commission Junction account at www.cj.com and click on the Support tab at the top of the Account Manager to search the help contents or ask client services a question.

Regards,

----------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click.

Hi,

I was wondering... I had filled out and sent out the tax form and everything... but what kind of tax ID should I provide if I'm not a US resident? Maybe some other international affiliates can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks a million!

sassySARAH

ABW Ambassador
    I too, would also like to know what tax ID and tax classification i should put, being from the UK.

And as i have not sent the form back yet, i assume i will not get paid this month???

ABW Ambassador
    i have just checked my account and the taz id and classification has been made blank, and there is no way of my editing it.

any ideas?

ABW Ambassador
    You don't need to put a tax ID in the box if you're not from the States. Thanks, Wayder, for posting that email - I know I saved it somewhere, just couldn't find where.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

I asked CJ Support the following question:

"As a UK publisher, what Tax ID do I enter on the account page please?"

And the reply was:

"UK Publishers just need to complete the W-8BEN form but do not need to complete the Tax ID (SSN/EIN) field on the form.

Regards,
    Commission Junction"

"Can I sell the sh*t and will the merchant pay?" ~ Leader

ABW Ambassador
    You do need to put in a tax ID.

That’s the reason I posted the link to the documentation, I recommend you read it.

Page three. Ref to Line 7 says....

"If your country of residence for tax purposes has issued you a tax identifying number, enter it here. For example, if you are a resident of Canada, enter your Social Insurance Number."

This is probably so that your local tax guys can remind you if you forget to declare it

----------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click.

"That’s the reason I posted the link to the documentation, I recommend you read it."

Thank you Wayder but I have read all the documentation so it isn't necessary to "recommend I read it"

You quote "If your country of residence for tax purposes has issued you a tax identifying number, enter it here. For example, if you are a resident of Canada, enter your Social Insurance Number."

As I understand it that quote is referring to a different field from the one requiring the SSN/EIN tax number on the W-8Ben form. Also the account form at CJ relates to the SSN/EIN number not the social security number of your own country. I guess a UK national could enter their National Insurance Number in the relevant field on the W-8Ben form (though as I recall it was optional) but that number is not required by CJ.

Actually, after reading all the documentation, I was surprised by CJ's response because it seemed from what I read that non-US citizens are required to obtain an EIN and enter it on the form W-8Ben - a 4-6 week process to obtain one as I recall, necessitating a visit to the US Embassy for notarised signatures on copy documents unless prepared to send original docs my mail. Anyway, whatever, I've sent my form to CJ by airmail sans SSN/EIN and NI number.

"Can I sell the sh*t and will the merchant pay?" ~ Leader

quote:
    Originally posted by tmd5:
    Actually, after reading all the documentation, I was surprised by CJ's response because it seemed from what I read that non-US citizens are required to obtain an EIN and enter it on the form W-8Ben - a 4-6 week process to obtain one as I recall, necessitating a visit to the US Embassy for notarised signatures on copy documents unless prepared to send original docs my mail. Anyway, whatever, I've sent my form to CJ by airmail sans SSN/EIN and NI number.

I agree with your interpretation, though I'm having a real hard time figuring out the W-8BEN and the W-7 forms that it looks like I have to submit. I also used the 'Ask a Question' feature to see if CJ will help me fill out the W-8BEN, but I noticed CJ says in their FAQ: "CJ can not legally 'give advice' on filling out these forms".

They also point out in their FAQ that "Canadians may want to take special note of line 7 of Page 4 of the w8 instructions." which has already been mentioned above, but is *optional* so is probably rather pointless. I think line 6 is the important one, and it is not optional for any of us...right?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, foreign (non-US) companies or individuals do NOT have to fill out the SSN or corporate ID.

On the other question, you can only change your tax information in your account @ Cj by contacting them directly...at least in the past. You cannot change it manually once you have already created an account. This is for security reasons. AND if you change your tax information in the middle of the year you will receive two separate 1099-MISC forms as required by the IRS.

Hope this helps.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread