Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Now it's that time of year where Walmart has their shopping cart turned on..Nov10th -Dec 15th. Nice of them to do this. Results show if you increase exposure you'll snag a few sales if the shoppers land on a specific product and buy something immediately. If they comparison shop it's all free traffic for Walmart except for their BHO buddies who force cookie sets on every visit.

I see 3 commissionable sales for all the hassles of individual product links ..text category links and toy & electronics exposures. Whoopie my links work as 34 sales show up in my non-commissionable report.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Im glad they turned me down when I first started all this.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Hi Suziegeek I'm MikeyTheGeek

I am also going to STOP promoting Walmart because of their crappy cookie duration. Can someone please explain to me what a BHO is?

BHO = Browser Helper Object. Basically a shopper application that hijacks the normal functions of a shoppers browser inserting a new home page, adding bookmark entries, changing the search function to some affiliates PPCSE split fee search feature. Then the shoppers hard drive space is reserved for advertising pop up Ads and the BHO keyword trigger lists so they get bombarded by cookie setting Ads, while the surf pages.

Some BHO's like eBates -180Solutions -Iwon -Upromise -Gator -WhenU make millions per month hijacking affiliate traffic, SE traffic and placing cookies on non-commissionable links to a merchants site. Basically the BHO's are the Adwhore elite of the affiliate industry.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I haven't started promoting WalMart heavily, but I will when I can find the time. My problem is with their 1gb datafeed. It's going to take some major ingenuity to get that imported into my system. I do have to give them props on their Holiday promotional rates. Some items can get as much as 15-20% with the overlay program. As much as you're having problems with them, you can't argue with the fact that they've got excellent brand recognition.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Internet Cowboy
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi Suziegeek I'm MikeyTheGeek <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Do we have romance in the air?

just kidding.....couldn't pass that up!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Walmart flipps the bird to affiliates <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, whew! I thought they did something to Charlie.

Anyways, Walmart gives us 0.167 return days.

My site is now giving Walmart 0.167 years exposure annually (they are gone at the end of December).

Geeks Unite!

jus kidding 2 kids and a husband

Hi Mike the Geek...bein' a geek curse or blessing??
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Damn, I didn't even realize they only offered .167 return days. While it sounds really bad, their brand recognition must offer a reasonable conversion rate. Maybe somebody can validate this for me? I agree that their program terms are sickening, but there are affiliates making millions with Amazon's 24hr cookie. Maybe Walmart should at least match Amazon.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Converting at 8.23% this month, so they convert great, but if they had a decent cookie, for me it would be about 20% conversion. Lots of non-commissionable sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, as far as Walmart goes... I'm still in a state of shock !
    From the one merchant you would LEAST expect it ...
    277 click thrus and 68 sales for Dec. 1st - 10th ! Amazingly, non-commissionable sales are very few as well .

Converting at 24.55% , AND I'm working my way up,up the ladder for the very generous Dec. bonus payouts too !
    No complaints here , but I'm going to wait until I get the checks before getting excited .

don't write off walmart yet... the walmart
    brand is still the best one around.

they have the best bonus package from all the
    merchants i have on linkshare network.
    unfortunately it's only for nov and dec and
    i generated most of my sales in oct.

as for non-commissionable sales, mine is
    about $36K for nov - ouch!!!
    <font size="2">Get Your <a href="http://www.psp4.us" target="_blank">Sony PSP</a> Now!</font>

Even with the short cookie, I have sales through Walmart, so they stay.

i have my own problems with the WalMart affiliate program:

DRM's that die (text link, part of a cluster)

banner ads that sit OK for a while then redirect to a totally unappropriate part of their site

they are still on my January g'bye list

I just had a nice sale from them yesterday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi Suziegeek I'm MikeyTheGeek <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any relation? Long lost cousins perhaps?

I personally do/will not promote walmart. Is it a popular program?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is it a popular program? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

used to be by invitation only. I think they opened it up for branding purposes.

apparently mileage varies quite a bit. it may be a popular place to order stuff that is not right now in the local store.

Get those Walmart sales while you can and push the $0.97 freight deals. Forget the hours of effort to make individual product links right now. That was for last month. Once the 20th hits Walmart will no longer drive affiliate sales, as 92% of the affiliate traffic then goes to the local stores. November 15 -Dec 20th is the only time urgency plays a factor in getting around that 0.197 day cookie. Only the BHO's will get steady sales after this as they refresh or overwrite cookies every referral visit.

is there a way to disable BHO?

i'm using yahoo adware remover plus spybot. and it seems to do the job. i see Gator showing up all the time after my kids use the computer. i run the scan daily...
    <font size="2">Get Your <a href="http://www.psp4.us" target="_blank">Sony PSP</a> Now!</font>

ABW Ambassador
    It sounds like Walmart is sucking in some newbies who actually think they will continue converting AFTER the holidays. Don't addicted to those nice bonuses. My advice is to cut and run after the holidays.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>is there a way to disable BHO? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can disable BHO's with an app called BHOcop, but that doesn't mean your shoppers will (if that is what you are looking for )

ABW Ambassador
    So much for reaching the next bonus level .
    Walmart sales are now dead with
    my hot selling items OUT OF STOCK at Walmart and everywhere else online !

Time to go swap out those Walmart links real quick for ebay sellers while I still have a chance . It was a good run while it lasted, but like the seasons go, so do the Walmart links with 1 day cookies .

Not to sound ungrateful , I should say
    Thank You Walmart for kicking arse this holiday season .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lisa:
    So much for reaching the next bonus level .
    Walmart sales are now dead with
    my hot selling items OUT OF STOCK at Walmart and everywhere else online !
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lisa,

my walmart items ran out of stock in late november...

nick

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for expressing your concerns and feedback on the Wal-Mart Affiliate Program. We appreciate your thoughts and read everyone’s comments so that we can improve the program for you. Since there’ve been many threads on return day cookies, I wanted to respond to let everyone know where we are with this subject.

We launched in 2000 and along the way as the program has grown, we’ve received valuable feedback from our affiliates. Based on your feedback, we’ve introduced new initiatives to continue to expand this channel.

A few of the initiatives that we’ve implemented include:
    <LI>Higher commission structure
    <LI>Frequent sales bonus promotions
    <LI>Dedicated team at Wal-Mart and LinkShare
    <LI>Weekly newsletters highlighting top converting items and compelling creative

While we have made strides and received positive feedback on these changes, clearly the next step is to evaluate increased return days. While I cannot promise a specific timeline, rest assured that we are in the process of evaluating increased return days for affiliates. We recognize that this is a topic of concern and frustration among affiliates and we will try to do everything we can to improve the terms for everyone.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and happy holidays to all,

Susan Dee
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    sdee@walmart.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast