Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Can you provide an reason why a merchants cookie would not be created?

My link for Avenue Fashions shows no merchant level cookie being created when I click on my affiliate link. I do see the linkshare cookie but one does not get created for the merchant at all like is done with other merchants.

If other affiliates could check and report as well, I'd appreciate it.

I dropped them a short while ago for lack of sales. Guess that could explain things. It seemed odd to me to not have sales, they always had 20% off coupons.

ABW Ambassador
    They have always been weird for me converting good at times and then drop off to nothing. In the past, it seemed the drop offs were surrounding new offers which it seemed when I opted into was when sales went south. The last time I just said screw it and didnt even opt into a higher commish that was avialable LOL. It hasn't helped LOL but I think I see why

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My policy after 6 years is too Never opt-in to any short term special merchant offer. I've been burnt so many times when the offer expires and then all your cookies get sent to La-La Land. No where does LS take responsibility for merchnats using that feature to stick a hot poker into their affiliate sales force.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    That may or may not be part of the issue but I have a hard time that if I don't opt into and optional deal it would allow my current links to stop tracking.

According to what Stephen said was that linkshare merchants are responsible for creating the cookies and those are the ones used for tracking (per his discussions with Todd) in which he felt that their system was better and not impacted "as much by cookie blocking".

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Poon the LS merchnat interface has only one default commission level setting that is a required setting upon intitial startup. All the others add-on are done by merchnat AM's who have a mental challenge just setting up a new e-mail client. To show you how lame LS is on checking for merchnats not setting tracking cookies. I reported over 3 months several large prominent merchants weren't tracking any sales based upon multiple test purchases. When the network finally looked into it, this proved to be the case .as no network sales were recorded for these soon to be deadpool merchnats. Dell and The Outpost used this system bug for over a year to negate some sales exposure from their top affiliates...

LS had a problem reverting back to the default commission level setting quite a while back. They said they fixed it. Probably true.....before they then did multiple system upgrades without that bug ever addressed in any checklist of the upgrades. Hint to LS merchants. Make your entry level terms hurt your pocketbook so bad it attracts new affiliates....then leave it alone and run some perfomance contests rewarding all levels.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happypoon:
    According to what Stephen said was that linkshare merchants are responsible for creating the cookies and those are the ones used for tracking (per his discussions with Todd) in which he felt that their system was better and not impacted "as much by cookie blocking". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not impacted as much by cookie blocking, but impacted far more by implementation problems. For most merchants, it seems like the two methods miss about as many sales. For some, the merchant-side tracking is a nightmare.

I've seen inconsistent results with Avenue, too, although I don't send them enough traffic for my results to be statistically relevant.

They offer 30 return days, so they should have a cookie somewhere.

With the deals they offer and results I see from similar merchants, I would expect them to convert about 10-20 times better than they do for me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    OK well still no cookie

ABW Ambassador
    Add Mission Orchards and IGourmet to the list as not creating cookies too.

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you Poon!

Their links have been ripped out and the errant affiliate mgrs have been notified as well as LS. (In case any of them care.)

Back to the merchants that respect me.

Give my best to Nova.

Lily

I thought something was wrong with Avenue. They haven't been converting well, if at all. I emailed the affiliate manager, no response.

In the mean time I've removed Avenue from the more visited portion of my main site, and more removals to come if they don't start explaining what the heck is up.

And yes, I was in a special merchant offer, which I have just changed.

I'm really starting to dislike Linkshare. Between their seemingly constant reporting problems, and poor conversions for me as compared to both CJ and Performics, I've had enough.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Hi! My name is Shirley and I manage the affiliate account at Avenue.com. I have alerted my tech team of this issue and have called my contact at Linkshare, as well...I WANT TO PAY YOU ANY COMMISSION THAT IS OWED TO YOU! I am trying to figure out what the real issue here is (because I have also noticed some problems with Linkshare reporting so I am not sure what real numbers are). FYI, we just finished (last week) upgrading our backend...I am checking to see if something happened to the links during the conversion. Again, I want to make sure you are paid any sales you should be paid for...so please bear with me.
    Thanks in advance

ABW Ambassador
    Friday, November 12, 2004

Dear Avenue.com Affiliate,

Recently, Avenue.com underwent a major hardware and software upgrade. As a result of these changes we "lost" the cookie setting on new customers from your Sites.

In conjunction with LinkShare reporting issues, we were unable to detect this sooner. My special thanks to Michael and Ralph for bringing this to my attention, helping us resolve this at once.

Current orders are now fixed. Over the next week, we will be pulling all orders impacted from our log files and resending them through the LinkShare interface.

Because we are unable to know which orders were authorized, we will assume that all were and pay your commissions on gross sales for this period, which translates into additional commissions for you.

If you encounter any problem or have any concerns regarding our Site in the future, please feel free to contact me directly by email or phone. Your feedback is very important to us.

Thank you, in advance, for your patience and understanding.

Have a great day.

Shirley Benaroya

@Shirley:

Welcome to ABW!

Nice to see another AM that wants to work with us. The system gets a little more healthy every time this happens.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.
    Thanks for the welcome. If any of you have any feedback or comments, please email me directly at sbenaroya@unitedretail.com. My goal is to make the partnership as good as it can be for both of us!
    Have a great week.
    P.S.-Jungleland...I check my email regularily and respond quickly to any affiliate inquiries-if I overlooked your email-please accept my apologies.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Add Mission Orchards and IGourmet to the list as not creating cookies too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it appauling that no cookies are still being created 6 days after this has been reported and that in a thread titled linkshare mods - there hasn't been a single response from linkshare.

If anybody has any doubts about Linkshares ability to detect tracking issues and handle customer support need not question it ever again! I guess it's all those problems getting reporting to work on transactions that do come across is their first line of importance.

[Thread mailed to compliance @ Linkshare addy]
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I show 3 cheese of the month transactions went through for I Gourmet on my end here
    Dated Nov 9, 14, 15,

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmmm - still not a single response from linkshare or the merchants in question. How good is customer support at linkshare?

Merchant level cookies are still not being created which IMO leaves tracking working on initial visits only and we get no comments from anyone involved at all?

This is rediculus!

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador

Hi Happy.
    Just wanted to double check that you are not waiting on me for a response...that my response a few weeks ago was sufficient.
    Please confirm.
    Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Shirley,

No, not waiting on you at all. I was glad to see you stepped right up to the plate and got the tracking issue with your program resolved however, problems exist with two other merchants and linkshare has yet to say a single thing concerning this issue.

I contacted one of the other merchants and they said "they have notified linkshare and the problem is on Linkshares end" which of course may or not be true but the fact that cookies are still not being created and haven't been for these merchants for some time is an outright shame.

I guess they are having to many other problems but the facts seem to indicate affiliates and linkshare are losing money on sales that should be getting credited but with no cookie I can't imagine any duration existing which is in direct conflict with these merchants agreements.

Linkshare has a responsibility IMO to ensure our contracts with merchants are valid and are being adheared to. Affiliates promoting these merchants and linkshare themselves are getting shortchanged here and I can't get a response. Doesn't make sense IMO.

I plan on continuing to bump this thread until I get a response from LINKSHARE. It won't go away and the longer they take to address it will only further illustrate IMO how bad customer support is, how unreliable their tracking can be and how they seem to have their eyes completely shut to these kinds of issues.

When tracking isn't reliable and detection of issues is unreliable, it would seem to spell trouble for a network. Throw in bad customer support and all kinds of other problems and it gets even worse.

ABW Ambassador

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast