ABW Ambassador
    Great products, but either I'm getting screwed by some cookie garbage or it's the ridiculous 10 day return that's doing me in. Nice sales lost, with lots of items each.

I don't need to be losing sales when I'm pushing a program because of an indecent return day policy. The links will be moved OUT of prime spots - just on principle.

Any better merchants who give affiliates a fairer break to replace that type of goods?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Could THIS (click here) be why?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

How do you know you are missing sales with items, are they test purchases you are making? Just curious. Thanks

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL...thought I just saw some guy dressed like this going into a local tittie bar with a wad of $1.00 bills. He must be looking for some Plus Sized beauties to shop for...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    In the reports it says "return days exceeded" so they're non-commissionable sales. 9 items total, 2 sales - that's $155.35

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    LV just got a new AM who appears to be "affiliate friendly".

She knows what the problems are - but it's the higher ups that make the cookie/ebates decisions.

She IS trying to change the cookie and commission structure - and she says it's sooner rather than later.

I'll invite her here and maybe she can tell everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    Could https://www.ebates.com/editUserInfos...rchant_id=6326 be why? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, Ebates is not the reason. His sales are being tracked...but are past the 10 return days that LV allows.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Kay:
    LV just got a new AM who appears to be "affiliate friendly".

She knows what the problems are - but it's the higher ups that make the cookie/ebates decisions.

I'll invite her here and maybe she can tell everyone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Suppose I posted some research showing 1) eBates installations taking place via security holes in users' browsers, such that users receive no notice and grant no consent prior to eBates' installation; 2) eBates installations bundled with software that is of dubious value to users, such that users certainly didn't request or seek out eBates. Would this be helpful?

I think that this would be extremely relevant and interesting Ben (particularly the first instance) thanks for offering to do so.

John

ABW Ambassador
    OK.. another one yesterday, now the disallowed total is up to $283 + for this month alone. I doubt it'll do any good but I just wrote them griping with a copy of the report

=======================
    Hello,

I do a lot to encourage the CTR and sales for Lillian Vernon, even with small sites, but this is not acceptable

(copy of list from report here)

With all the effort that goes into putting a site together and promoting not only for traffic but for providing sales for merchants, a 10 day return policy is absolutely unfair toward affiliates. I have to say it shows an egregious amount of disrespect for their capabilities and efforts and is not only totally unacceptable, but really places your organization in a bad light..

Just to let you know that I will continue to include the links until appropriate substutions are found and will then remove all links and make every attempt to remove myself as much as possible from this maltreatment of affiliates, which is in place by terms far less satisfactory than almost every other merchant out there.

Sincerely,
    (name)
    =============================

The info I'm getting from mining the stats for keywords is valuable because people are buying well beyond the particular niche the site is in that's sending the visitors (at close to 7% CTR, btw) so it's good info to have for other sites. But to let it go on without complaining is useless, and if we let ourselves be treated like crap without speaking up we deserve what we get.

I'm getting more and more inclined to try to go exclusively with merchants who post here or have reps here wherever possible, because it shows, at the very least, a sense of responsibility and accountability on their part toward the people they are supposed to be "partnering" with.

Some people like to get kissed before they get screwed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>She knows what the problems are - but it's the higher ups that make the cookie/ebates decisions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first week's stats told me that. Luckily I didn't have too many links to pull.
    ~Ernie

FYI: My Non-Commissionable Sales Report for LV is $2,112.56

I was close with the previous AM and wrote her daily about this - and (I still have the email) where she said "I did it! The higher ups are changing the cookies from (I think it was) 5 days to 10 days."

I said that's great, but told her daily it's well below the industry standard.

OUR NoPay report just says "Return Days Exceeded". But there's another report that the Merchant Rep has that says HOW MANY DAYS it was exceeded by. Turns out my visitors take an average of 72 days!!!!

I already have a Private Offer from LV, and when the new AM called me 2 months ago, the first thing I mentioned was the return days - and before we hung up she increased mine - but in my case, anything less than 72 days is... well... it's a step in the right direction.

In the meantime, do more pre-sell. have your site made so that visitors don't click thru to LV unless you've already convinced them to buy and they have their credit card in their hand!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Edelman:
    Suppose I posted some research showing 1) eBates installations taking place via security holes in users' browsers, such that users receive no notice and grant no consent prior to eBates' installation <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Earlier this morning, I posted a video and discussion showing WebRebates (a TopMoxie distributor) and CashBack by Bargain Buddy, both installed via a security hole in a user's web browser. See also ABW discussion.

I have separately observed Ebates Moe Money Maker being installed through security holes. I do have the necessary proof on hand (a video, as well as a same-time packet log), but I'm not in a position to post that video at present. However, I do hope to make a fresh video of this occurrence, if I can get it to reoccur.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I had sent a nice email a while before sending that one griping, but got a nice email response back this month. The return days are upped to 14 days and apparently according to a newsletter that was sent out it's permanent starting January.

My shoppers seem to like LV, they browse and buy multiple items even in merchandise categories other than what types my pages are.

For one product type I moved the LV product to bottom of the page when I found I was getting stiffed, with another merchant getting the first few spots and had conversions on that other one just as good with a higher priced product line and higher commissions (and much longer return days).

It's commendable that they made good and responded so I'll give it a go and see how it goes for January sales. 4 days more is not great but better than nothing so we'll see if it helps.

It's a few days before January - and they still haven't even sent their OCTOBER commission checks to Linkshare - no less November.

Talk about floating a payment!!!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread