ABW Ambassador
    I just did a search through my affiliate link for 12/31-1/2 for Indio, CA. Super 8 is $55/night for these dates. I then did the exact same search by typing in http://www.super8.com in my browser and the rate at the same hotel is $47.36 per night.

I've been in their affiliate program for a few months now and haven't had a single sale. I suspect this is why.

Sarah from Linkshare, is Cendant in compliance with Linkshare's rules by listing a higher rate through an affiliate link than accessing their site directly?

Apparently Linkshare is managing the affiliate program because there is no contact info. for Cendant other than cendantaffiliates@linkshare.com which of course is a conflict of interest.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Snowman -

The Cendant affiliate program is managed through the www.roadtraveler.com aggregator website. Merchants may have different business reasons for how they establish pricing, and are entirely free to dictate their pricing on any basis they want, including based on the different marketing channels through which potential customers can reach their site.

Sarah

ABW Ambassador
    All Cendant links have been pulled from my site since they consistently display higher rates through their affiliate links vs. going directly to their website.

Who does this make look bad? The affiliate, of course. Do I want my site visitors accusing me of rate inflation? Absolutely not.

I hope this affiliate program fails miserably.

You might try signing up as an affiliate on Lodging.com which also belongs to Cendant now.
    :coffeetim

ABW Ambassador
    Super 8 Hotel Terre Haute, IN 2/4/05

http://www.super8.com $35.24

http://www.lodging.com $38.18

NO THANK YOU!

Merchants who advertise higher rates through affiliate channels don't want to pay commissions, they want free advertising. Don't support them.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I removed all of the Cendant links from my site months ago but I continue to check their rates going directly to their site compared to going through my affiliate link.

There has been no abatement to this behavior but I just found the worst one so far.

Destin, Fl 5/22 www.wingateinns.com $99

Through my Linkshare affiliate link $159!!!

I hope that anyone who is promoting Cendant hotels will remove their links immediately. This is absolutely the worst time of behavior and could destroy affiliate marketing.

Linkshare should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for allowing this to go on.

Thanks for the warning... that stinks!
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Scratch under the surface of this one to come up with the unethical AM firm running this free traffic scam.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Outsourced Program Manager
    Ouch, I just stumbled on this thread. This is not good for Affiliate marketing.

Tax Paying Member
    It is even more frustrating when you are afiliated with one of the major players (Expedia, Orbitz, etc) and you book a room for yourself. On checkout the hotel manager tells you that you paid $12.00 more for the room than their highest price.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread