Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The affiliates who earn checks are the LIFEBLOOD of any affiliate program. Merchants and networks should do everything possible to get payments out to affiliates as quickly as possible.

With Linkshare, getting payments out to affiliates is obviously NOT A HIGH PRIORITY. There are substantial delays at several points. Even if a merchant WANTS to pay quickly, Linkshare makes that impossible.

FIRST, Linkshare doesn't make the voucher information available to merchants until 7-10 days into the month. Other networks make this information available MUCH quicker. I have some merchants who CUT and MAIL checks on the first business day of the month! Most are indies, but one is on BeFree (not using their cut-checking service).

SECOND, after the merchant pays Linkshare, there is usually a substantial delay before Linkshare cuts checks for affiliates. Of the Linkshare merchants I work with, Linkshare has only sent checks for THREE of the merchants I work with. Overstock.com paid Linkshare on 11/22 and Linkshare cut the checks on 11/26--FOUR DAYS. AllZines.com paid Linkshare on 11/24 and Linkshare cut the checks on 11/29--FIVE DAYS. Magazines.com paid Linkshare on 11/22 and Linkshare cut the checks on 12/1--NINE DAYS. NetMagazines.com paid Linkshare on 11/18 and Linkshare STILL hasn't cut their checks--FOURTEEN DAYS AND COUNTING!

THIRD, even after cutting checks, it usually takes SEVERAL DAYS for Linkshare to deliver the checks to the post office. There's usually no proof of this because the post office usually doesn't print a postmark on it. The Overstock.com check for October was an exception. It was printed on 11/23, run through the postage meter on 11/24, marked as mailed on 11/26, and postmarked on 11/29. WHY ALL THE DELAYS?

FOURTH, Linkshare pressures their merchants to use their check-cutting process. As a result, these delays can't be avoided by most merchants.

FIFTH, Linkshare continues to drag their feet on Direct Deposit, which means affiliates have to wait on both Linkshare and the post office.

Between all the various delays, it's not unusual for Linkshare to be responsible for TWO OR THREE WEEKS worth of delays!

I challenge Linkshare to make affiliate payments a priority! Reduce the amount of time it takes to produce vouchers at the beginning of the month. Turn merchant payments around within 24 hours of being received. Get checks to the post office THE SAME day they're printed. Implement direct deposit. SHOW US THAT WE ARE A PRIORITY!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

dave

One suggestion I gave to the LS accounting department last year (and they agreed it was an excellent suggestion), was to do a year end audit ( Jan or feb of the following year ) and REISSUE any checks that had not been cashed the prior year. For some of getting countless checks, it is almost an unreal task to keep up with how many checks disappear each year. This would be an excellent benefit to affiliates, and since the checks cannot be cashed after 60 days anyway, there is no worry about old checks coming through, and the only thing it would cost linkshare is the time to do the audit ( balancing books is done anyway I would assume) and to reissue checks. I am guessing LS makes quite a bundle off of uncashed checks that were lost, never sent, or misdelievered. My comment is not intended to be rude by the way. This is an honest observation and would be a huge morale lifter for the affiliates that work so hard helping make ls a major network

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Overstocks check wasn't actually mailed till the 29th. So the 26th bit was just a smoke and mirrors PR play. Hell OSD could write a check for the entire LS operation and boot out all the dead beat competing merchants
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Michael,

Ever hear of "float"? That's what LinkShare does.

The problem is that LinkShare is such a poorly run company that they are incapable of grasping the concept that if they cleaned up their act regarding affiliates and parasites, the new revenue they would generate would dramatically outpace the dollar's they currently gain on the float.

Let them try and float the darn Dell.com payment ...

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, payments ARE important. Sure, CJ pays like clockwork, but

at least Linkshare added that extra letter-matching step to the login this year. How many other networks can make that claim? These guys are innovators, and leading the charge in affiliate marketing. I can't wait to see what they think up next!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    You get checks? Must be nice...

Not one - zip - zilch - nada - of my Linkshare merchants have paid for OCTOBER sales.

Yep. That's two months - and 100% of my LS merchants are listed as "Awaiting Check from merchant"

Same Here Billy Kay -- almost -- Only received Overstock's, Everyone else shows "awaiting payments"

And, I'm getting the run around from an Affiliate Manager regarding Oct.'s payment to L/S (biggest ever of course). Told me they were Sure the payment was made, but will get back to me to confirm. That was 2 days ago. Haven't heard anything back from him since.

Can they individually hold up Affiliate's payments? For instance show Affiliate A that the payment has been made, but show Affiliate B that they are still "awaiting payment"?

Wait, wait, wait ...

You mean there are - *gasp* - problems at Linkshare?

Why I find that hard to believe.

Really.

Truly.

You'll know things are getting worse when the BHO's come to ABW and start complaining about slow... or no payments. Hint for LS management. Withhold paying any Christmas bonuses till all your merchants have paid up for November sales.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anne:
    One suggestion I gave to the LS accounting department last year (and they agreed it was an excellent suggestion), was to do a year end audit ( Jan or feb of the following year ) and REISSUE any checks that had not been cashed the prior year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be AWESOME! I will be sure to bring this up should I have the opportunity .

Could someone from Linkshare respond to this? It's been EIGHTEEN DAYS now since you received payment from NetMagazines.com, yet you STILL haven't sent out affiliate checks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

Have you made contact with the Merchant that sent LS the check to pay you...??

and I agree with another poster that is common "float"..

Best Regards from a fellow Texan.. by the way which is your best converting Merchant?? From your website I would guess Overstock.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I can't wait to see what they think up next! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh, I certainly can . . .

LOL...the advertising mindset firmly believes there is no advertising expense until the damn bill gets paid. That's why only in affiliate marketing do the Adwhores get away with not paying for Ads upfront. They milk the Holiday sales season by floating the Ad expense till February. I see even Money Bags Walmart hasn't paid up for October and Overstock is the only LS merchant who will get November payments out before Christmas.

Spam away all you AM's trying to get the final Y-2004 bonuses. I noticed this year Linkshare hasn't pooled their merchants into forcing payment to all affiliates of their YTD below minimum payments as in years past. Basically zeroing out the carry overs. Time for affiliates to push only merchants who pay promptly without exception.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DirtyDawg:
    Have you made contact with the Merchant that sent LS the check to pay you...?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, the merchant is aware of the problem and it doesn't appear that they're getting any answers, either.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I just wish they'd do direct deposit. I'm moving out of the country next month, so this would be ideal. If not direct deposit, I'll be happy with just one check each month. I don't want to worry about which merchants paid and which merchants didn't.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Michael,

We saw the banner advertizing fail, maybe we are close to affiliate network failure.

I am excited to see the next generation...

Kind Regards

Could someone from Linkshare respond to this? It's been NINETEEN DAYS now since you received payment from NetMagazines.com, yet you STILL haven't sent out affiliate checks for October earnings.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I've been emailing and talking to various merchants about the severe problems this month. I also have been doing some [pretty much one way] email correspondence to LinkShare and had no idea this post was here. I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who has identified there is something fishy going on this month, but alarmed that this is happening.

Merchants are telling me stories of all that they have done to get payments quickly to LS, but that LS keeps dragging their feet. I for one contacted LS yesterday to ask why two merchants still show "awaiting merchant payment" when I know they payments were sent by the merchants. LS asked for my LS Username and said it would be sent to the merchant account representative. Not sure why they need my username for that. It's not an issue of me not getting paid; it's an issue of all the affiliates for several merchants that are not getting paid.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Hello: I only use LS when I have to. This is a shame because they do have some great merchants, but I heavily use CJ and SAS precisely because of the problems outlined here.

Any of you guys and gals get a Dell.com check lately?

Could someone from Linkshare respond to this? It's now been TWENTY DAYS since you received payment from NetMagazines.com, yet you STILL haven't sent out affiliate checks for October earnings.

I heard from another merchant yesterday who is upset about this, as well. Linkshare shows that they received their payment on 11/24 in the Payment History yet they still shows it as "LinkShare Awaiting Merchant Payment" in the Payment Report. That's TWO WEEKS.

This merchant wants to pay affiliates quickly, and is upset about the barriers that Linkshare puts up. They couldn't even access the payment information until 11/12 or 11/13. They're considering cutting their own checks, but they'll lose their status as a "Premier Partner" if they do. It's Linkshare's way of coercing merchants into letting them cut the checks.

Linkshare is quickly losing all credibility. The fact that they have these payment issues at all is bad enough. That they would continue to ignore the problem and not give answers to affiliates and merchants just makes things worse.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Ecom, I'm thinking the last check I got from Dell was in the last two months, and I'm thinking about two months ago, but forgot to write that one down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast