ABW Ambassador
    Merchants:
    Do you have any control over the contents of the emails to alert publishers of links that are about to expire?

FreeCallz.com

No, we don't. We don't see those. They get sent automatically when we expire a link.

Are you having trouble with the wording of an expired link email?

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Celicaphile,

Can you explain more about your question or concern and maybe Patrice or I can help.

Linda Buquet ~ Affiliate Management Consultant ~ Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing 5 Star Affiliate Programs: DentalPlans|zZounds|Irv's Luggage|Roadloans

ABW Ambassador
    Hey, was there ever a response to the new CJ wording stating that expired links will not track sales?

Trying to find that thread.

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't elaborate because I wanted the straight forward answer I got...thanks Patrice!

I used CJ's Ask A Question about another issue and mentioned the fact that I'll get dozens of link expiring emails from one merchant and asked if they were planning on doing something about this, and the format in which they send them, where we have to click on a link to find out if we even use the banner/link. there's no description of any kind & it's a major waste of time. Their answer said they don't control it and I should contact the merchant.
    So, like the other answers I've received from CJ about various issues, they place the burden on the merchant...
    thanks

FreeCallz.com

ABW Ambassador
    Let's place more burden on the merchant and ask if expired links do indeed track (contrary to CJ wording), or if they feel obligated to pay commissions on expired links.

Kelly, are you saying CJ says expired links do not track?

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

ABW Ambassador
    The following was part of the June Publisher Initiative Release Notes at CJ.

NEW "EXPIRING/EXPIRED LINKS" REPORT

You may now run a "Custom Report" ("Run Reports>Custom Reports") that will display links that have expired in the past 30 days and that are set to expire in the next thirty days in the future. Once a link is expired it will no longer track commissions and should be removed from your site. This report will display details for each link that has or is set to expire. This report replaces the email notifications that you used to receive to alert you of expiring links.

I had thought that they did. I'm not positive, though. Perhaps this is a change in the way it used to work? We have very few expired links -- and they were done before I took over as AM in February. I'm really not sure. I guess I'll mosey on over to AAQ and ask.

As for feeling obligated to pay on expired links, I can see what link each sale came in on (by link ID number.) I suppose that if I wanted to only pay on links that were not expired (if expired links do pay commissions) I'd have to reverse the sales that came through on expired links with the standard reversal explanation options, which you know are not extensive.

Hope that helps at least a little.

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

ABW Ambassador
    " I suppose that if I wanted to only pay on links that were not expired (if expired links do pay commissions) I'd have to reverse the sales that came through on expired links with the standard reversal explanation options"

It sounds abit like you actually aren't obligated to pay commissions on expired links, even if it is found that they track.

Just liking clarification from the merchants on this. They know their contractual agreements with CJ best.

I'm not actually commenting on whether I'm obligated contractually or not...I'm probably not the best person to ask, actually, if you're asking about contractual obligations. I've been working with CJ only since February on an existing relationship with very few expired links. I just wanted to help you out.

Please, don't take what I say as the end-all. I'm just trying to help.

Is there a particular merchant that you're wondering about? Has there been a specific incident that you wanted clarification on?

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

Hi folks!

Expired links do indeed track *forever*. CJ's system is setup so that once an AID is assigned to a merchant, it will be permanently assigned in qksrv even if the link is removed from the member interface (which is what a merchant does when they expire a link). I constantly see transactions from links I expired a year ago and some affiliates are still using.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <

I've found the email notifications of soon-to-expire in CJ's mail system useful, moreso since the link# is now included in the header and it's simple to copy-paste the message list into a text file then search on the link#'s at some point in the usual 30 day period. Then can use the Report on expired link CT's to pick up what I miss.

ABW Ambassador
    you wouldn't rather just get one email from a merchant showing you which links/banners are going to expire, so you can just look and see if you use any of them? copying and pasting all those link numbers must be time consuming...

Like I've said before, I've gotten around 20 from one merchant at one time and I seem to remember that I didn't use any of those linking methods...I wasn't happy...

FreeCallz.com

As a merchant, I have been told from CJ that expired links do indeed track forever.

My thoughts on the content of the message...Obviously, part of the message is to inspire the publishers to migrate to the freshest content provided. Otherwise, there is not a lot of incentive to receycle old content.

Keith - United Online

ABW Ambassador
    "Obviously, part of the message is to inspire the publishers to migrate to the freshest content provided. Otherwise, there is not a lot of incentive to receycle old content."

I'd like to think of that and be satified, but then this is still saying that CJ intentionally made a false statement...and one that could have just as many negative effects as positive ones.

One such negative effect could be affiliates afraid they can't keep up with particular merchants that continually have expiring links. They might well give up on such merchants if they believe CJ's statement to be true, that expired links will not track commissions.

Why not also surmise that a positive effect would be that this is intended to inspire merchants not to have so many expiring links? That way not so many of their affiliates will be scared off by fear of not being able to keep up, and believing in lost commissions due to such.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread