What does that mean ? I have a sale reversed due to unqualified lead ?

ABW Ambassador
    Was that GoZing?

no, it was tabletools. i've sent 'em an email and i have yet got a reply.

We are cj merchants and in the past we have accidently picked up the affiliate cookies while checking our logs. The result is, when a customer calls to place a phone order and we place the order on our website, the cj affiliate gets credit because we have the cookie on our machine by accident. In cases like this, we call it an "unqualified lead" because the sale was not actually generated by the affiliate website. We have found a way to eliminate this from happening in the future. Perhaps the merchant you mentioned had a similar problem.

Could you please explain how you picked up an affiliates cookie? How did you do that? I am totally confused on that one.

ABW Ambassador
    Being nosy and spying on affiliates' sites...

Ah, the old CJ Quality Network Spybot at work again.

OR......

A classic 1800 number under-reporting operation at work. That cookie was there for a reason, they referred your lead.

Actually, you dont have to answer this question, I like Todd to explain how an affiliate's cookie is downloaded with "logs". That makes no sense at all.

[This message was edited by Glenn Bradley on July 13, 2003 at 01:05 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    An unqualified lead (for most merchants that pay for leads) is usually an unqualified visitor who has signed up.

Alot of lead merchants may accept visitors only from the United States, Canada, etc.

If some one from Australia signs up but the merchant only services the US, the merchant reverses the lead as "unqualified".

And of course this is laid out in the affiliate agreement right?

ABW Ambassador
    Interested in that log thing too.

What I suspect is this: They check the referer logs at CJ, then go to the URLs that have been generating traffic, then either click through to their own site, or, that affiliate site is running an autopop and they get the cookie at that point....

Still, if the merchant makes a purchase with that cookie, I think the sale shouldn't be reversed. Ever heard of the clear cookies function? Its in every browser I've ever used.

Coldwater Creek did this for months... Hundreds of dollars in affiliate commissions all later reversed... apologies all around... repeat .. they claimed they were doing "testing" of some sort.... There was even talk of affiliates who accidentally got paid having to pay them back... Whatever, get your shit straight and don't fck with people's income like that...If you make an honest mistake..well, honor it. Not to beat on CWC too hard, they just happened to have went through it here publically; this "testing" apparently happens a lot. Real nice for these affiliates to count on some earnings, all later to be reversed.

Anyway this is all off topic to the original question and for that I apologize. kelly probably has it.

ABW Ambassador
    This is how some merchants see it in 5 parts:

Unqualified lead - When a lead is generated at the first stage it is considered as an unqualified lead by default.

Qualified lead - This is the second stage of the lead where customer is identified exactly with the need.

Evaluating product - At this stage of the lead customer is evaluating the product in terms of the features and the price. There can be other parameters upon which customer is evaluating the product.

Opportunity - This stage customer is supposed to more satisfied by the product and willing to go ahead.

Waiting for decision - This is basically the final stage of the lead where the customer is just waiting for the final decisions. Customer can ask for the quotations at this stage.

So, if you make it to step 2 it's good to go. Make sure your visitors are "identified exactly with a need" before you send them off to the merchant.

And I still haven't got any replies from tabletools yet.

I just looked over thier web site, what is the lead for the newsletter, or the bridal registery?

Looking at thier prices, WOW, talk about markup!

Its not even Martha Stewart!

Im guessing the lead is the loan you need to buy the stuff.

Hope it works out for you.

Nope it didn't work for me. I'm taking off all their links tonite. ANd yes their products are mark-up, probably they are all made in taiwan.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread