ABW Ambassador
    I hope someone can answer this , as this is a question that has been bugging me for a while .
    I don't know why I haven't bothered to ask this question before , I guess I didn't want to sound stupid, but now I'm thinking that it's even stupider NOT TO ask - it's my money .

Basically, I'm wondering if built-in traffic analyzers on our web servers and the cookies they drop can interfere with affiliate tracking cookies being accepted, or cause a delay that is sufficient enough to cause them to timeout .

What I'm trying to find out is how cookies get prioritized by the users system , or which ones get dropped first , ie; traffic / webstat cookies at the site they are visiting, or CJ/other network third party tracking cookies .

Another dumb question is can most browsers accept several cookies at the EXACT same moment in technical terms , or if they must wait for one to finish before accepting the next ?

My question is :

Could it be possible that an overloaded web server with too many other sites on it (not mine), combined with a slow , and crappy built-in traffic analyzer on my site can interfere with how my sales track ?

Anyone have any idea as to the exact sequence as to how different cookies are prioritized and what the probability is of affiliate cookies actually timing out due to interference by server-side cookies hanging ?

Please , if you know the answer to this , let me put this dumb question to rest.

Thanks .

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Lisa,

As long as your page is loading there shouldn't be any problem. The cookie that matters is the CJ cookie that is set when the merchant link is clicked on. That cookie is set by the qksrv domain, so it is completely unrelated to what is happening on your site at that point (the visitor is no longer even on your site).

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Exactly, you don't have to fear about the qksrv cookies, they are set under "qksrv.com" domain and any software on your server/web page can only access cookies set under "yourdomain.com". This is a privacy security measure, no browser will allow any page/software under yourdomain.com to access qksrv.com cookies.

Affiliate cookies could interfere with other cookies if they were set under the same domain and path. For instance if you were a merchant and would use some affiliate tracking software which would set cookies named "id" and also some other software that would use cookies named "id" under same domain and same path, the affiliate cookie could be over-written by the other one.

But in your case there is nothing to worry about.

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Ms. B,
    That much I understand

But , what I'm asking is , Is it possible for the cookie that is supposed to drop when the merchant link is being clicked on COULD be timing out if the other server side cookies have still not been completely set yet , and/or if browsers can or will simulataneoulsy accept a new cookie while the first cookies are still hanging.

In other words , How many different cookies can a browser "eat" at the exact same time ? One at a time, or all in one mouthfull ?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    No, that can't happen. If you have your links open in the same window, then as soon as they click the merchant link, any activity that was happening on your site is terminated. The browser won't continue any functions once it leaves one page for another.

If you have your links opening in a new window, then that is 2 separate processes going on. Just as if you were suring with 2 or 3 windows open at the same time. Those activities will all be independent of each other. Remember, you computer handles many tasks at once all the time and operates in the nanoseconds. It can be writing multiple cookies basically at the same time in your cookie folder.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks again Ms. B , and c4 .

I guess that answers my question about the first call being terminated by the next page loading.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread