This may be getting redundant but I would like to compile some data to send to CJ about this merchant.

It may do no good and will probably fall on deaf ears but I can't stand this dishonesty and lack of action on CJ's part to curb this kind of stuff. (can we as a community create a "reversals only" forum? That should at least get some attention!

I will go no nuts if I don't at least try something :-) Heck, I'm stubborn enough to send an e-mail every day if need be!

So, all you Onlinesports merchants, how many reversals have you gotten? What percentage of monthly sales from them are reversed?

Mine are over 50%!

Jeremy

ABW Ambassador
    Here's a couple recent dissatified customers of onlinesports.com

"You guys are getting on my nerves cause i ordered a green larry bird celtics jersey and a magic johnson scarlet all-star jersey on the 29th may and i still don't have them i even pick next day delivery and still don't got it so can i have my order please."

"The video tape that I recieved didn't help me. The title was VERY misleading and it ended up be totally useless to me. I didn't even finish it. It was not professionally done, but rather done by someones camcorder."

Why reversals happen for certain merchants...need a forum for that too.

Well I must have better luck with OnlineSports than others. I've had 27 transactions with them this year and have had only 1 transaction reversed.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    4 out of 5 this month - reversed. I was checking my old stats and the reversals were not so bad about 33%.

ABW Ambassador
    33% of sales (1 in 3) reversed is still incredibly bad.

Tod stated:

"The Interent as a whole probably experiences less than 1% credit card fraud."

This statement tends to show that CJ is hip to these particular merchant's incredibly high reversals rates for "invalid credit cards"...that they are obviously falsified.

If not, then you the affiliate could fall suspect. Another big reason not to keep high reversing merchants around.

In this particular case I think it's obvious that the products and service of this merchant is not up to buyer's expectations. They may simply choose to use the reason "invalid credit card" rather than make it more obvious that their products and service sucks.

With me they've improved - "only" 2 of the last 13 reversed.

Plus they accepted a large sale that paid $120 commission.

ABW Ambassador
    I had a merchant quite awhile ago that reversed all 5 sales for them spread out over a month for reason "invalid credit card".

Every other merchant of mine at that time had no invalid credit cards for as long as I could remember (many months) before that incident.

Crook merchants obviously size up their different affiliates. If they perceive you to be a sucker, they'll put the screws to you to the point of being truly absurd.

Merchants shouldn't have 2 in 10 bad credit cards...certainly not 50-100%

It is extemely rare that I get a reversal now days for a declined card. In the few instances that it happens it is usually a new merchant that hasn't properly sized me up. They get an e-mail explaining my experience with such situations, and that usually brings them to their senses. I don't have anymore falsified reversals afterwards for them.

If a new merchant makes me feel extemely humiliated though through such absurdities, they are history with no remedy.

So I guess I feel some merchants can be reformed to treat an affiliate right to some extent. I can't honestly say I fully trust any merchant.

Well, since I started this thread I contacted onlinesports and finally got a reply. Thought you guys might want to check it out. My e-mail was a little sarcastic but I was ticked at the time.

--- Original Message Separator ---
    Hello,

I've had several transactions reversed and that's all fine and well. I was just curious as to why it takes so long to verify a credit card?

I have my own site that takes CC's and am capable of verification almost instantly could you please enlighten me.

Also, why do you accept sales on items that are out of stock? It is quite shocking that you simply can't place "Item out of stock" on your sales page and disable the "buy" button.

The talk at abestweb.com confirms that this has been a problem for quite some time. Please don't say your are "in the process of an upgrade"

We're all adults here.

Best Regards,
    Jeremy Wilson

-------Their Response---------

Hello Jeremy,

We also can verify a credit card instantly, but when there is a problem with the credit card, we attempt to contact the customer to fix it, which can sometimes take days or weeks. Also, if a transaction is reversed because of CJ's "CC" reason, this is a general payment issue reason, and could also mean the customer told us they would pay by check and ultimately did not send any payment.

Regarding out of stock items, with our huge variety and selection of items (over 70,000 products) believe it or not, it is not as easy as you might think to disable out of stock items. Further, many customers do wish to backorder out of stock items, and we want to continue to offer the widest selection possible. In terms of jerseys, I don't think you will find another merchant offering an affiliate program with our selection.
    Of course, we are making an effort to at least mark out of stock items as out of stock, but to date this has not always been done consistently.

Finally, when we are forced to cancel an order, CJ reports the reversal as CSSO, Cant Ship Sold Out.

Often this means we are unfortunately temporarily out of stock on an item but it could also mean that the customer changed their mind and cancelled the order also, which does happen sometimes. We are trying to keep all of our products in stock if possible, but unfortunately sometimes we are at the mercy of the manufacturer. We will always make every effort to save and ship every order you send us and then of course pay you for every completed sale.

Thanks for your understanding and we appreciate your hard work in generating sales for us.

Thanks, Mike Schreiner

Well, they didn't say they were in the process of an upgrade, just that things have "...not always been done consistently."

I can understand they have a huge inventory but other sports merchants I am affiliated with seem to be able to mark an item out of stock.

Maybe the particular items I heavily promote are in demand and unfortunately out of stock? Who knows. Just frustrating to be so helpless in the situation.

At least they responded.

Jeremy

ABW Ambassador
    Good job Jeremy. Keep on their ass. Myself, I would drop this merchant immediately.

As you can see, there is no hope given that your situation will get better...only explanations/excuses...a spit in the face.

If they would go to the trouble to ramble on in detail as to why your reversals are, they could also be trying to work with you on ways to minimize such reversals...but they know it's their fault.

Can you be conditioned to accept that that is just the way things are, and just love them despite their faults?

Another reason outfits like this choose "invalid credit card" is because customers contact their credit card companies to dispute charges for products they never received within an expected time frame.

Merchants like this intentionally list many items they know they don't have in stock...and like music123, will even promise customers it will be shipped in 1-3 days, what have you. A month later the customer disputes the charge, and you get a "declined credit card" reversal in your account.

They definitely are up to something no doubt.

The only reason I don't drop them is that they are the only ones that carry a particular item that I promote and it is pretty lucrative.

Fortunately they are not my main source of affiliate income but if another merchant comes along I'm gone.

Thanks for all of the encouragement and insight Kelly. You've been very helpful.

All the best,
    Jeremy

I dropped them in Jan. 6 sales in Nov. and Dec. They were big ones over $1000 total commsions. All reversed due to invalid CC.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

ABW Ambassador
    They offered a higher commission than some of the other sporting goods merchants, so I posted a bunch of links. What is the result? Plenty of click throughs, a few sales, and 100 percent reversals. I should have gone with one of the other sporting goods merchants, even though the pay out is 50 percent less than onlinesports.com

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Famous Last Words
    "Hold my beer, and watch this"
    "What does this do?"
    "You're married?!"
    "I think I made a wrong turn"
    "Say! This stuff tastes nasty!"
    "No. I am not from around here. Why do you ask?"

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread