Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Help!!

I just got this email from CJ:

"In accordance with the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement ( http://www.cj.com/pub_agreement.asp ), your Publisher Account has been removed from the Commission Junction network and your earnings have been reversed from your account ("charged-back") and credited back to the relevant Advertiser(s) due to their status as non-bona fide transactions and your promotional activities or participation in creating the transactions. You are not eligible to rejoin the Commission Junction network and any at

Regards,
    Client Services
    Commission Junction"

what the hell is that all about??? I didn't get no acceptable explanation, no warning, no nothing.

I've been with CJ for almost a year making very nice amounts without anything illegal involved,
    and it is definitely my primary income source...

I can't believe this is happening, I'm still shocked and I don't live in the U.S so it's even more of a problem to get support...

what can i do besides emailing CJ slow support???

Haiko / Todd / Anyone please help?

I would need to know your CID (account number), first and last name on the account or email address.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I have sent you a private message, thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Woah. Another One?!

Scary crap going on. I would think CJ should handle these things by giving a warning first.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ......or at least, it would be nice if they got a personalized email. We might not be getting both sides of the story, but that sounded like it was a pretty generic notification.

"Well, at least I got Terre Haute" - Steve Martin, "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"

ABW Ambassador
    I'm curious to know how many accounts get deactivated each day. If not that many, since this is some peoples primary source of income, maybe a phone call would be better or is there a number to call where a publisher can get into contact with CJ immediately?

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

quote:
    I'm curious to know how many accounts get deactivated each day.

We do not disclose the exact numbers but they are high enough to prevent us from contacting them to explain things.

Think of it this way, if you were an ISP and caught someone sending spam, would you call and warn him or her or would you disable his or her account?

In 99.99% of the cases, the evidence is indisputable.

In certain cases we will reinvestigate the issue and have reactivated accounts. This has happened maybe a dozen times out of thousands of accounts over the past 4 years.

FYI Shamrock is on the other side of the planet.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    We've seen two reports here in the last week. Odd. I find it hard to believe believe both of these are spammers. Even if they are, IANAL, not even close, but, to me, the PSA seems to indicate the only offense strong enough to warrant "You are not eligible to rejoin the Commission Junction" is 1(b)
    quote:
    (b) operate or utilize a Web site or email Link(s) to Web sites that contain or promote, any of these types of content: libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, violent, bigoted, hate-oriented, illegal, cracking, hacking or warez, or the offer of any illegal good or service, or Link(s) to a Web site(s) that does so; and/or

I hate to beat a horse that won't seem to die, but, some affiliates which have been shown to do things that seem to violate the PSA, specifically
    quote:
    You shall not cause any Transactions to be made that are not in good faith, including, but not limited to, using any device, program, robot, Iframes, hidden frames, redirects or clicking on Links that You place to the Advertiser. You shall not establish or cause to be established any promotion that provides any rewards, points or compensation for Transactions

and the COC, seem to repeatedly get away with it. Yet, small affiliates seem to be terminated at the drop of a hat.

----
    -JM

cj double standard.

"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?" -anon

Doesn't CJ get some percentage of what we make? Can't be very profitible for them to can people who are making money. Anyone that is sending spam email should be canned. Spam is obscene and abusive!

To clarify...

I used spam as an example. In this case it was not releated to spam.

Obviously, I am not going to go into details regarding publishers specific issues.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    "due to their status as non-bona fide transactions and your promotional activities or participation in creating the transactions."

It has been said it was not spam related. Got that.

Now, the above quote seems to suggest fraud or indiscriminate advertising (a cousin to fraud).

Indiscriminate advertising deals with misleading visitors or misrepresentation of merchants.

No further speculations. Chalk another one up for spybot and the compliance department.

If it was found that large numbers of the CJ affiliate force were guilty of violations worthy of deactivation (which I believe when reading the publisher agreement, and now hearing such high daily deactivations), then CJ is left with what particular affiliates to target for such violations.

Why not primarily target foreign affiliates and such... people with names like Tihan, and affiliates stationed half way across the world?

Makes sense, if you've got to lose some affiliates to satisfy merchants...that you are looking out for them.

If CJ is going to inforce the publisher agreement, they should target US affiliates as well...regardless of how easy it would be for such affiliates to just join other programs in direct competition with CJ. (I think I hear Tod saying US affiliates get canned to)

Keeping all affiliates scared, by not disclosing details of the main specific reasons for most of the many daily deactivations will only make them feel more a need to not have all their eggs in the CJ basket.

Affiliates will naturally start including more merchants from other networks as a sort of insurance against what could become of their relationship with CJ...should CJ come one day like the IRS to audit their promotional activities or such, and come to a shallow conclusion.

A question we should then all be able to answer yes to is, "if you were deactivated by CJ today, could you financially survive"?

Having your income equally coming from several sources will be the logical solution.

Why? Because CJ has just stated they don't have the time to correspond with all the affiliates being deactivated, and you conclude also then that they must not have the time to make a proper evaluation in the first place.

kelly626, you’ve certainly got a point there...

This “deactivation party” is starting to scare many legitimate affiliates here … from the posted termination emails it seems very diffcult to understand what is meant by “inflating traffic”, “non-bona fide transactions and your promotional activities or participation in creating the transactions” and the likes.

There was a also debate going on about popups and do they considered to be “forced clicks / redirects” and hence, can that lead to a termination?

Todd, you might want to consider giving some examples of why affiliates were terminated and explain what is considered to be “inflating traffic” and other vague terms we've saw in the termination emails.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Tod has already given an answer:

Quote: "Obviously, I am not going to go into details regarding publishers specific issues."

So, there we have it.

It's obviously a fear campaign aimed at all affiliates. Be good or else!

My experience with affiliate programs throughout the years has been that when programs start going on a fear campaign, it is to counter-attack the defensive position that they themselves have become subject to by affiliates.

Everyone starts pointing the finger at CJ...non accurate reporting, catering to parasites, etc...it gets to the point that even merchants start giving a hand to bring the crap to the surface ...CJ possibly feels a need to turn the table to put affiliates on the defensive.

Will this silence the affiliate community? Will our honest observations (conspiracy theories, if you like) cease to be because we could possibly be the next target of the compliance team?

These and many more conspiratorial comments coming up next on ABW. Don't touch that mouse.

Kelly always makes great points.

Here's what concerns me about this thread.

Real Communication is critical. Blanket form letters are not communication, but rather dictatorial proclamations. Because the potential to shut off our income can elicit considerable fear, the question we should ask ourselves is whether we should be in business with someone who:

- chooses not to communicate, but command.
    - chooses arbitrary, closed door, process, instead of public, due process.

[Practically speaking though, we're dealing with an oligarchy. There aren't that many networks (of depth) to choose from.]

Regardless, I think that it is wise to spread your Affiliate eggs over many different network and program baskets, and not rely on the mercy and goodwill of just one.

Apollo

If you (as a publisher) run a legitimate business, there are never going to be any problems. The issues that result in account deactivations are not gray areas - they are clear violations to the PSA.

We have no interest in deactivating publishers that are running an honest operation - especially if they are earning commissions.

We are interested in building profitable relationships for both publishers and advertisers.

This has been part of our normal business practices since 1998.

Examples that have lead to account deactivations:
    1) Filling out your own lead forms in order to earn commissions.
    2) Requiring others to fill out leads forms to gain access to information such as passwords to protected sites or pirated software.
    3) Submitting sales with stolen credit cards.
    4) Spam
    5) Forcing clicks to intentionally set tracking cookies.

These are just a few of the reasons but I think it gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Perhaps Shamrock would like to respond?

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    Tod,

The number 5 reason...do you feel that sites like Jump on Deals is in compliance in this respect?

All one must do is search joann.com coupon code or pick whatever CJ merchant, and find his pages that cause a forced click via a pop-up upon entry to his page.

I was thinking maybe sites like his are overlooked because they earn plenty of commissions.

What's the scoop on this?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    It's obviously a fear campaign aimed at all affiliates. Be good or else!
    - - - - -

I don't think that's the case at all. If Shamrock got tagged in a crossfire, I'm sure it would be corrected: it's in CJ's interest to do so. If Shamrock got tagged because of clear violations, that speaks well of CJ.

"Well, at least I got Terre Haute" - Steve Martin, "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"

This sounds like a violatin. I will forward the site to our network quality department to investigate.

Thanks.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Maybe some of us foreign types just got "targeted" a bit more?

quote:
    Said Todd: FYI Shamrock is on the other side of the planet.

quote:
    Said Kelly: Why not primarily target foreign affiliates and such... people with names like Tihan, and affiliates stationed half way across the world?

VAN.

For the record, we do not care which country you are from - if you violate the PSA, you may get deactivated.

My reference to Shamrock being on the other side of the world was to illustrate how difficult it would be to contact publishers to discuss things prior to deactivations.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Todd
    Not wanting to start a fight or flame war, but why are publishers not given 60 days to comply. Surely the forcing click issue is one that has been done by many big affiliates who have over-written cookies by forcing a click. As far as joe affiliate is concerned, if eBates and others get 60 days, why not the little guy/gal?

Download Site Map Creator Today

Yep, if a pop-up is the problem, he should be given his 60 days to correct it.

And, oh, come on! CJ can't afford an overseas phone call? When can we expect to see the bankrupcy announced?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast