Maybe someone can help me with this. Since it is CJ's policy that we cannot click on our own links, how can I check links for accuracy, prodcuct still in stock, etc...

I don't have any CPC or pay per lead programs so this doesn't inflate anything, other than make my clickthroughs/sale percentages look worse.

There really aren't any other ways to check individual product links are there?

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

We can't click on our own links? When the heck did that happen? I agree that if it's not CPC or PPL then our clicking doesn't do anything but serve as a QC method.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

I haven't read it per se in the TOS but I have seen it mentioned several times here... If I am wrong about that, yipeee, problem solved...

Anyone else know the specifics of this, feel free to chime in, and I appreciate the feedback in advance...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

ABW Ambassador
    Well, we'll start a click club. I'll click your links, and you click mine, and we'll converse back and forth in compliance.

Some merchants encourage their affiliates to buy stuff through their affiliate links. I've tried to do this without clicking my affiliate link...but it's very difficult.

This law is like "do not spit on public sidewalks". Everyone spits on sidewalks, but not quite as often because there are times their minds remember a law that forbids it.

ABW Ambassador
    Thats more to fraud, like when you got paid per click in the past. When working on my sites i always click my links to go to the merchants site to see whats happening, instead of typing the merchant url into the browser, and i buy from my own links too.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Thanks... I was kinda wondering how strict CJ was or is with respect to compliance. I just want to check/monitor my links for dust, that is all... No hanky panky here...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Jonathan:

Agreed - it's all about QC.

By the way, do you always play the ball where it lies?

Seriously, thanks for bringing this up.

Karl Smith

I'm not aware of any official policy that is current. Perhaps an outdated one from back in the CPC days, but not now. During the course of testing, you have to click the link to make sure it works.

Some merchants don't allow affiliates to use their own links to make purchases. I encourage it within our program and have used my affiliate links to make purchases from other merchants. It gives me confidence that their tracking is working.

Unless you wrote an automated link checker that ran every 5 minutes, I would not worry about clicking on a link to make sure it works.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Uh, oh, I clicked my own links 13 times so far this month.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd:

Might get you kicked off the network.

Karl Smith

I'm gonna report you Todd.
    Then you can have 60 days to stop doing it.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Connie,

I'll sick the spider on your parked domains if you rat me out to compliance.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

This is under 2.2 2nd paragraph in CJ's Publisher Service Agreement:

quote:
    You shall not cause any Transactions to be made that are not in good faith, including, but not limited to, using any device, program, robot, Iframes, hidden frames, redirects or clicking on Links that You place to the Advertiser.

So, does this mean we Can't click on our own link to buy from an Advertiser? I can understand if the Advertiser specifically states in their own Affiliate Agreement -- No Sales from Affiliates (re: Amazon). But what about test purchases from Advertisers who don't stipulate the "no advertiser purchases"?

For instance, I just bought some products from an Advertiser and my Sale Did Not Track. Can CJ now kick me off if I report this Non-tracked sale?

By your thoughts you are daily, even hourly, building your life.
    You are carving your destiny.
    ~Ruth Barrick Golden

Todd,

Cute man, cute!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Todd, you already did sick your spider on me!
    Too bad it isn't a good spider that gives me page rank and lots of visitors!

I'm gonna wait until CJU and rat you out!
    Right after you give WhenU the award this year!

Connie Berg

Hey Connie, I just realized you live near Lauren. Have you two ever gone out for coffee? I would love to kow what she is like in person. Does she like Aerosmith too?

BTW, I think I may have a theory as to why we hit your parked domain. I'll email you my 'conspiracy' theory.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Lauren scares the heck out of me.
    I would be afraid, very afraid to ever cross her.
    She actually lives about an hour and a half away. Too far for coffee breaks.

Not sure if she likes Aerosmith. Don't know much at all except what I read.

Aren't you and Lauren buddies?

I am sure the reason you are hitting my parked domain has something to do with some third world country partnered with some duper incent site.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    You shall not cause any Transactions to be made that are not in good faith, including, but not limited to, using any device, program, robot, Iframes, hidden frames, redirects or clicking on Links that You place to the Advertiser.

Isn't this actually saying (in context) that you shall not cause any transactions to be made that are not in good faith relating to clicking your own links?

A mere clickthrough then to a merchant site of itself is not a transaction, and no element of bad faith can be found for such.

Now we conclude that all sites that do all the following...use a device, program, robot, Iframes, hidden frames, redirects ...are not in violation...as long as they are not causing any transactions through such that may be deemed in bad faith.

This is perfectly designed to allow CJ the exclusive right to arbitrarily determine the definition of bad faith as they see fit for each individual affiliate.

ABW Ambassador
    Talk about bad faith.....

I have an interpretation of their TOS myself and CJ doesn't seem to be an .

Doesn't it seem that if CJ can spend all this time and money on servers and software they could write a TOS that made sense?

The way it stands, anyone who checks their links can be deemed out of compliance and get booted. Then if they object publicly, we would all be told that they were booted for being out of compliance but for reasons that can't be discussed in a public forum. LOL

This is absurd. How about a rewrite? CPC has been gone for a very long time, now.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    If you read the Publisher Service Agreement, you'll notice CJ can terminate a publisher at anytime for any reason at their sole discretion.

You need not click your own links, cause fradulent orders with all shipping addresses to your little home country overseas, or any other such thing.

The compliance team could wake up one day and think, "Hey, this publisher Chuck E. Cheese, what do you think about him"?

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread